Ayan’s mother said today,
“When I was in Kurdistan, I asked God – please I need to go to Israel. When I was in Israel, I asked God – please Ayan needs to have surgery. When he had surgery, I prayed please God – let the ECMO help him. Now I pray please God -let him finish from the ECMO. Then after he recovers, please God – let me go to Jaffa, and then finally please God – let us go to Kurdistan.”
I loved this. His mother’s has beautiful faith to ask this of a God she believes is involved in all of these details, overlooking nothing.
Today the doctors did a trial assessment in an echo, to see how Ayan’s heart functions when they bring down the support of the ECMO machine. While he is still not in a good condition, it is possible that soon he may be able to be taken off of the machine, though his situation is still extremely critical.
We can pray like his mother, for one thing at a time, and truly for the best for Ayan.
Intuitive care and compassion
This afternoon Ayan was taken into surgery to widen his narrow coronary arteries, a procedure that, given his state, was dangerous for him. With each surgery, parents have to wait it out. It’s hard to summarize the waiting time, but it often looks like it did today for Ayan’s mother. Every time the OR door opened, it jolted. The jolting door gets added to the parent’s constant concern that the doctor would come out and give the worst news. Maybe parents would hear the telltale beeping of the many monitors becoming louder. Today, when we heard the door jolt, and heard the beeping of monitors getting louder, and then saw little Ayan coming out on the wheeled bed, his mother cried from relief, a relief of pent-up anxiety that I can only begin to imagine.
Earlier, a Kurdish family came to the hospital for an echo, and Ayan’s mother (pictured in red above) immediately went over to hold this baby who is around the same age as her own. This is something she and also the mother of another child on ECMO often say, that they miss holding their babies.
Once Ayan was stabilized in his room, one of the ICU doctors asked if his mother would like to come to see him. As Ayan has been with his chest open, seeing him has been too difficult, but this doctor, upon hearing this, offered to pause everything, cover Ayan’s chest, and give her a few minutes to go in and see his little face. Such intuitive care and compassion is profoundly moving on the part of the doctor.
Co-worker Sabrina went with Ayan’s mother to his room for these few minutes, and captured this precious moment which I hope will move us to pray for this beautiful boy and his remarkable mother, and to be thankful to God for the concern and sensitivity of the doctor and surrounding staff.
Ayan is still on the ECMO since yesterday. The Doctor says he is stable and the machine appears to be helping him.
However, he is still has a long way to go for his recovery; please keep him in your prayers.
Ayan’s mother asked today for some help in understanding the condition of her son. She speaks and understands English very well, but with the stress of the situation and lots of new medical words, I think it’s helpful to her for us to ask the doctors for Ayan’s condition. Her English is miles better than my Kurdish, and she is a thoughtful and intelligent lady. Somehow we seem to be working nicely to understand together, and each other.
We were told by the doctor today that Ayan’s chest remains open and they intend for it to stay this way until his next surgery. Thankfully he is improving from how he was on the day of the surgery last week, and they have been able to reduce some of the medications supporting him. Still, this recovery has been hard for Ayan in comparison to a few of the other babies with the same condition and same surgery as Ayan who are there in the ICU at the moment.
Ayan’s mother was pleased to hear that he is a little better. She seemed to be able to push her disappointment to the side – that he will not have the chest closed – and turn her attention to supporting her friend, another Kurdish mother, whose baby was in surgery today.
We look forward to the next step for Ayan, and trust that he is safely in God’s hands.
Lovely boy Ayan was called in for surgery tomorrow. Several times before we thought he would be admitted, but ended up not, and therefore his mother said she didn’t want to know next time until the last minute.
An hour before we needed to leave for the hospital, we gave her the news of his first operation scheduled tomorrow, and for this, she was very happy.
It will be her first time sleeping at the hospital, but she is a fast learner and an incredible mother. Please pray for Ayan as he goes into his first surgery tomorrow
Having landed in Amman yesterday, Ayan and his mum and three other Kurdish mothers and babies traveled today with Jonathan to the border crossing with Israel, where co-workers Sebastian, Alena and I picked them up and brought them to our community home in Jaffa.
It was a fun time. We enjoyed getting to know these moms and babies.
Ayan has been diagnosed with d-TGA, transposition of the great arteries, in Kurdistan. His mother shared that when he was born, his oxygen level was zero. He was taken to the cardiology doctor, and when he was two days old, they performed a catheterization which opened a hole in his heart to help some oxygenated blood flow around his body.
Ayan is the only child of his parents, and is very precious. Please pray that he will safely receive the life- saving surgery he needs here in Israel and for his mother also to feel confident and loved here.