Surgery postponed, ear infection
Yesterday, Haveen and her lovely mother needed to have a Corona test at Sheba hospital because Haveen was supposed to have been admitted today for surgery tomorrow. However, due to a fever Haveen has had since yesterday, doctors changed plans and rescheduled the surgery. Further tests were done to discern the reason for this fever. It was determined Haveen has an ear infection for which they are now administering a line of antibiotics. I’m thankful that it is such a small problem. Even though it is disappointing the surgery is being delayed, it is best to trust in God’s timing as it is always perfect and he always knows what he is doing. We can trust him with everything.
Also today, a CT scan was required before which Haveen was to have fasted from two in the morning. As a result, Haveen was very hungry and already quite upset early in the morning and during the waiting time for her CT scan. Haveen’s mother comforted her which reminded me of Isaiah 66:13, “As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you.”
After a while, it was Haveen’s time for the CT scan. During the procedure, Haveen’s mother was crying silently and praying. It is wonderful to see that this mother understands everything is in God’s hands and He is the best comforter.
After the CT scan, Haveen’s oxygen was lower than when she is in her normal condition, so they provided her with extra oxygen. When she woke, she was crying again but of course her mother was there for her as always. Finally she was allowed to eat and drink something again.
Haveen was doing a little bit better today after she was allowed to eat and drink, thank God. Please pray for a fast recovery from this infection so the surgery can be rescheduled and for Haveen’s mother to continue in her patience and trust.
Where faith and truth collide
As the hours passed, Haveen’s mother waited to know the results of Haveen’s catheterization. She waited to know if her daughter is well, despite the heightened risk of the procedure. She waited to know especially if Haveen is or is not operable which the cath should have made clear. She got a phone call from a relative in Kurdistan. I assume they were praying with Haveen’s mother as she repeated one word, “Ameen.” Whenever we pray as Christians, we end with this same word, but it is pronounced with a short vowel sound. ‘Ameen’ means truly and is rooted in the Hebrew word for truth. For example, when Jesus makes a statement starting with “Truly, truly, I say unto you,” the Hebrew translation of ‘truly’ is “Amen, amen.”
As I sat there listening to Haveen’s mother use this word, which at it’s core means truth, I thought it also seems phonetically similar to the Arabic word for faith “Iman.” I’m not a specialist in Semetic languages, yet this connection formed in my mind between the words for faith and truth, as we waited for the result and answer from Haveen’s cath.
It seems a bit paradoxical that this should be, i.e. if faith is being sure of what we hope for, and certain of what we do not see, then things we count as true are often classified as such because we rely on our eyes to see and to some extent verify a truth claim. But something about waiting in a hospital to know whether a baby has survived a procedure, and to know if something can be done to save her life, makes faith and truth collide.
The relative’s phonecall ended. Within minutes, one of the cath doctors came out to speak with Haveen’s mother. In no way is it an exaggeration to say that this was the moment Haveen’s family has been waiting for since she was first diagnosed. In Arabic, the doctor explained that they had finished the catheterization, and while they needed to plan further, Haveen is in fact operable. Never in my life will I forget the expression on Haveen’s mother’s face. Disbelieving for joy, and hoping against hope, her daughter has a chance to live.
To be sure, the surgery will be dangerous, just as much as was initially told to Haveen’s mother in the meeting nearly two weeks ago. Yet today, for this moment, there was overflowing joy at the fact that Haveen had lived through the cath, and there is a chance for her have life further.
Thank you so much for praying for Haveen leading up to this point and please, please continue to hold her in prayer now.
Possible catheterization tomorrow
Co-worker Sabrina brought little Haveen to Sheba hosital today in preparation for her catheterization, scheduled for tomorrow. However, due to Sheba being at full capacity, we brought her to our community home in Jaffa instead of her sleeping at the hospital.
An echo was done and Haveen’s mother spoke to one of the catheterization doctors. Again, her mother is aware of the heightened risk of a cath, and it is quite high stakes, but from it doctors will be able to guage whether or not a surgery can be done for Haveen. There is still a chance the cath will be tomorrow, and after much waiting, that is certainly the hope of Haveen’s mum. Please pray for them both
Welcome Haveen, to Israel
The lovely Haveen and her mum arrived in Jordan with five other Kurdish families today. Co-worker Georgia, Sebastian and I were very glad to collect them and bring them to our Shevet home in Jaffa.
They had a long journey today as they shared with us, having to be up by 6:30 in the morning, and arriving to Jaffa at 6 pm. Because of this, they were very tired when they arrived.
Haveen’s mother is a kind and beautiful woman, taking care of her little daughter in a great way. Haveen’s diagnosis is complex congenital heart disease. She will see the doctor in the next week to make a full assessment. Meanwhile, Haveen and her lovely mother will have to quarantine with the other five families for the next two weeks at our community home in Jaffa.
Please pray for a blessed time during that two weeks and for a good settle-in experience for them.