Today Hur returned to Sheba Hospital for her anti-coagulation clinic. The doctor there was very friendly and spoke good Arabic with her aunt, asking how her family was doing in Gaza. It was a kind interaction.
It took a long time to get a successful blood test from Hur for the clinic, and our poor girl was thoroughly exhausted by the end of it! She spent most of the rest of the day asleep. The results are alright; her medication dosage has been upped in response to her increased weight gain, and she won’t have another examination for another two months.
In the meantime, we’ll pray for her continued health and stability.
Written by Nathan and Colin:
Hur went to the hospital today to receive her vaccines. As always, it was touching to see the patient care provided by the staff at Sheba hospital. Even though the unit was extremely busy, they took the time to patiently explain the benefits and risks of each vaccination to Hur’s mother. They even took the time to minimize as much as possible the pain of the injection. Hur is steadily healing and we expect that she will be well enough to go home soon from a medical perspective. God knows if a way will be opened up for her to safely go home to Gaza. With all the hard things going on in the region, it was good to see this small picture of hope and caring today. Many of the vehicles used on the hospital grounds have a slogan written in Hebrew on the side that could be translated “hope without borders”.
I pray that these small acts of kindness can begin to build the foundation for a lasting peace.
Despite a torrential downpour today, we were able to safely get Hur and her aunt to Sheba Hospital for another follow-up echo. Glory be to God, the results were very positive. Her surgery was succesful and she is recovering from her surgery well. She also seems to be gaining weight appropriately so the doctor told her caregiver that Hur no longer needs nutritional supplements. Some of her medications were also decreased to twice a day instead of three. Her next follow-up appointment has been scheduled for three-months from now.
Lord-willing Hur and her aunt will be able to join the other Gazan families in Bethlehem while they wait for Hur’s next appointment.
As we drove to the hospital today, we discussed how western culture commonly regards rain in a negative connotation; however, God has used rain in the Bible as a blessing to represent his faithfulness. In Joel 2:23 it says “Be glad, people of Zion, rejoice in the Lord your God, for He has given you the autumn rains because He is faithful. He sends you abundant showers, both autumn and spring rains.”
So, we are grateful to the Lord and glad that He has given us both his blessing of rain and of good news for Hur.
Today coworker Max and I visited Hur at Sheba Hospital. She is slowly recovering from the infection. Thank you Jesus!
However, she still needs a little while until she is completely well again. Will you join us in prayer that Hur is getting healed fast?
Yesterday at Sheba Medical, we thought Hur needs diaphragm surgery, that’s why coworker Lene and I went really early today to the hospital. We talked to the doctors and I asked if Hur’s surgery is today.
At first they said there are more important surgeries that’s why she needs to wait. So they postponed the surgery for this afternoon. An hour later, Hur’s aunt came to me and gave me the good news: her diaphragm looks good and that the doctors decided not to operate! Praise the Lord for this miracle!
Today coworker JoMa and I went to the ICU in Sheba Medical Center to visit Hur and Hur’s aunt. As we talked with the doctors they said to us that Hur is still stable, but that now they want to wait a few days before deciding their next step. She is still extubated which is a good sign. Her aunt was very pleased to see us and still had a lot of strength.
We ask for your prayer over Hur’s situation and for the doctors working with her.
The past few days have been confusing for Hur, with steps forward, steps backwards, and some steps in new directions, but today we are hoping to continue her process of healing. Just a few days ago Hur was extubated, and them reintubated the next day due to issues with getting enough oxygen.
Doctors at Sheba Hospital also gave her a CT scan, where they found some thrombosis, and have begun anti-coagulation medications. They hope this will solve the problem, and with her continued stability they are going to try extubating her today, and hopefully for the final time.
We pray for her healing, and that God will forge this path of recovery for her, that he can clear the way so this sweet little girl does not need to beat every obstacle by herself.
Today coworker Lene and I talked to the doctors in Sheba Hospital’s ICU as to how Hur is doing and received some good news.
Hur has been extubated. That’s a good sign that Hur is getting better! Praise the Lord!
His aunt was really happy about this progress and had a big smile on her face when I told her we were praying for her nephew!
When I arrived at Sheba Hospital today, Hur’s aunt was already sitting in the waiting room, the place to sit during her niece’s surgery.
We had a good waiting time, and every now and then there were more Gaza grandmothers showing up to sit with Hur’s aunt.
After five and a half hours, the surgeon came out and told us that the surgery went without complications and that they could do a full repair. We only had to wait another hour for the chest closure. But this hour turned out to be three hours, due to a bleeding in the chest. Hur’s aunt was worried, but thank God, Hur is stable now and the chest is closed.
Please pray for the coming 48 hours, which will decide if Hur is recovering well from the surgery.
After a speedy admission to Sheba Medical, we were surprised and disappointed by the need to wait for Hur’s operation. With her state being near critical, we assumed that she would be operated on within the coming days, but when doctors discovered a bacterial infection that Hur was battling, that made us all have to step back and take a breath.
Since her admission ten days ago, we have been waiting for news and results, watching Hur beat her infection bit by bit, and today doctors gave us the good news that she might have beat her sickness. The doctors are very cautious with this news, but have cleared her for an operation in the coming weeks, and her rate of recovery will determine how fast that happens. Her aunt is very relieved by this news and although she keeps her composure, we can see the relief and joy in her eyes.
As of now, we wait for doctors to meet and decide on their plan of treatment for Hur, and hope that she will gain strength quickly so that she can follow the doctor’s plans as soon as possible. We know God gives strength to the weak, and two-week-old babies with a bad heart and an infection are about as weak as you can get, so we pray that God will give her strength to fight each battle.
Today I met little Baby Hur’s aunt. She was preparing some food for herself and immediately gave me an apple to enjoy and told me that Hur is ‘taaban ketir,’ which means ‘very sick.’
Hur has a bacterial infection and she receives antibiotics and blood transfusion to clean her blood. Hopefully she will recover well from this and then she is ready for surgery.
Please pray for Hur.
This weekend has been a painful waiting game for Hur’s family, with some level of mystery of her heart defect, and the hospital not being able to plan a route of recovery. The specialized surgeon is arriving to Sheba Hospital on Tuesday and they can plan a procedure then, but right now her family can just wait and pray.
Currently she is stable and expected to stay that way until the doctor arrives, but at this point there is so much we cannot know, and must persevere and endure through the darkness, so that we may soon see the light.
Welcome to Sheba Hospital
Little baby Hur, a beautiful nine-day-old girl, was emergency transferred to Sheba Hospital late last night. Coworker Bjorn and I found her sleeping with her aunt waiting patiently at her side.
We heard from the doctor that Hur’s ride from Gaza was rough and painful for her, but they’ve managed to stabilize her. The doctor team will discuss surgery on Sunday morning, and she’ll likely be operated on early next week. Pray for her!