Today was a big day for cute little Ibrahim and his lovely mother, as they are finally flying back to Kurdistan.
After three months of many appointments, surgeries and a lot of waiting time in the Sheba Medical Center, Ibrahim and his mother are really happy to go back home to their family.
Coworker Joanne and I drove this morning together with them to the airport and said a final goodbye to them.
Yesterday evening we had a big farewell Party with a nice dinner and cake. All of us workers, visitors and the mothers with the children looked back together to the last month with pictures of their time with Shevet Achim. We spent a really nice last evening together and the mother of Ibrahim said that we are like a family for her and that she is going to miss us. We are missing her too.
The time with Ibrahim and his mother was wonderful. Ibrahim’s mom was one of the first mothers I met here in Israel when I arrived. She welcomed us directly with open arms. She was always positive, optimistic and full of hope, even if she was experiencing harder times. She is such a wonderful, strong woman and mother. She cared every second about her son and helped him wherever she could.
Ibrahim is such a beautiful, cute little guy, always smiling. I’ve loved to see how the time here helped him and how he is doing so well now. He was always so peaceful and a really calm baby. I’m really thankful for the time I was able to spend with him too.
We are all very happy for them that they can go back to Kurdistan and that everything is good now. They will be forever in my heart and I will never forget them.
Please pray that everything is going well with the flight back to Kurdistan and for blessings for Ibrahim, his mother and the whole family.
A few steps closer to going home
Today I went to Sheba Medical Center with little Ibrahim and his lovely mother for an echo and an MRI.
We first went to the echo, where we got the great news that Ibrahim’s heart is so good, that he can go back to Kurdistan.
The only thing that stops them from going home right now is Ibrahim’s brain condition. Four weeks ago, doctors discovered blood between Ibrahim’s brain and his skull. Today they did an MRI to check if the blood is decreasing. Results will be in possibly tomorrow. If they’re good, God willing Ibrahim and his mom can go home.
Today was a stressful day for Ibrahim and his mother, because Ibrahim was crying most of the time. His lovely mother was with him the whole time and calmed him down very nicely. I really enjoyed spending time with her and to be there for her while waiting.
When Ibrahim was in the MRI, his mom and I sat in the waiting area and prayed together for quite some time which was very nice and I really could feel God’s presence.
Please pray for them as they hope to be able to go home in the next days.
Electrolyte test for sodium saturation today
The doctor at Sheba Hospital ordered an electrolyte blood test for Ibrahim again to check on his sodium saturation level.
It’s still somewhat difficult for Ibrahim’s mother to see someone else doing assessments on her child, especially blood tests because these can be a challenge for some infants. A baby’s blood is often not flowing easily, veins can be difficult to find, the process can take hours, and sometimes all while the baby is crying.
This time however, it went very well and the nurse did a very good job. Only after a few minutes we were done, and we could already leave the hospital and head back for our community home in Jaffa. The doctor shared good results from the blood test later on with coworker Alena.
Now we are waiting for Ibrahim’s follow-up appointment later in January.
Sweet little Ibrahim had an echo and blood test at Sheba Children’s Hospital today.
As soon as we got there, we were able to go take the blood test. The nurses did an amazing job, and Ibrahim didn’t get too worked up.
Then we went right to an echo and ECG. The doctor said that the echo is very good and she would like to see him again in two weeks.
Thank you for praying for this sweet little boy and his recovery.
Ibrahim is a really cute boy and you can already tell that he has a close relationship to his mother, cause he always keeps looking at her and smiling at her.
He was discharged to our community home in Jaffa today from Sheba Hosopital, in a good condition, thank God. His mother is a lovely lady and we are looking forward to spending some time with her and also with her beloved Ibrahim.
She needs to go back to the hospital for cardiac follow-up after one week and Ibrahim needs to continue with his blood test as well and also needs to see the neurologist.
Thank God that for now he is doing really well and that he was able to be discharged to our community home in Jaffa today. Please pray for ongoing good recovery and for a nice time now with them in our home.
I went to the Pediatric ICU of Sheba Hospital to Ibrahim’s room there and found his mother crying. She is very worried, when she sees all these machines around her child, although Ibrahim is okay. Also immediately after the surgery, there is often not much to say and we just have to wait and see how Ibrahim is improving.
Today he had a CT Scan as one of the first check ups. While waiting until the Ibrahim came back, I waited with his mother. She called many people and met a friend who’s child is in the hospital as well.
Ibrahim’s mother also said she cannot sleep very well in the hospital. Please pray that she gets used to this new situation and for good improvement for Ibrahim.
Today the quarantine of Ibrahim and his mother did end and we were right on the way to the hospital for the admission, so that he can have a surgery tomorrow.
Ibrahim had an ECG, an x-ray and an ultrasound. The nurses were very nice. Also Ibrahim’s mom cared for him very well and she tried everything to prevent his tears.
The results of the ultrasound for the kidneys and the brain were very good. After having a room there is nothing in the way for having a surgery tomorrow.
Please pray for a successful surgery.
Ibrahim's first assessment
Ibrahim was brought to Sheba hospital this morning for his first assessment. A fairly content baby with little complaint.
The first procedure was an ECG during which little Ibrahim cried a bit.
Next was his first echo taken by a first doctor. After this echo, we were told to please wait and the doctor would discuss things with Ibrahim’s mother.
Then a second doctor wanted to do another echo to check more closely a few of the previous echo’s images.
After that, another doctor came and asked to do another echo to review the images of the first two echos.
By the end of the assessment, doctors concluded that Ibrahim has a bit of stenosis in addition to transposition of the great arteries. They said Ibrahim should finish his quarantine, and be ready for surgery when the time quickly comes. In the meanwhile, they would develop their plan and best approach for treatment for Ibrahim, and would decide on the surgery date soon.