Liya was supposed to have her surgery today but she had a temperature so it was canceled. Now it is just a matter of time, but first her temperature needs to diminish. Liya’s mother is still waiting for results of additional tests the doctors made for her.
Liya crossed the Erez border yesterday and this morning she had a CT scan. When the procedure ended, we talked with the cardiologist about the next steps in Liya’s treatment. Liya’s parents want to have a vacation time with all the family before Liya’s next surgery which they expect to be in a few months.
The cardiologist ordered an echo, an electrocardiogram and a routine test for Liya. The results of these exams and a fever rush with vomiting, all pointed to the fact that Liya needed to remain hospitalized. There will be more tests and possibly a surgery on Sunday. Pray for strength for Liya and her parents, they’re worried and surprised about Liya’s health.
Today my Coworker Joanne and I picked up little Liya at Erez crossing point and brought them to Sheba Medical Center. She had an ECG and an Echo today. Her heart is not doing well and she has a lot of different problems. The doctor told me that Liya will have to come back in one month and until then the doctor will present her case to all the other doctors and they will decide the next steps of treatment. The doctor said that there is the possibility that they can’t do anything else for her. So please pray for this little girl and her family. Bless them and pray for wisdom for the doctors.
Liya had a surgery to place a band around one artery in her time at Sheba and first struggled a little bit by breathing on her own. But after that she improved pretty fast and also learned fast how to eat through her mouth. Due to this she was able to be discharged.
Her grandmother was very happy and kept saying “Thank you, thank you.” Also all the other grandmothers were at the car to wave goodbye. In one month, beautiful Liya will come back for a follow up appointment.
When I visited little Liya at Sheba Medical Center this morning the doctor told me that Liya would be ready to go home. She will still stay in the hospital till Sunday, because the Erez Crossing point is closed right now.
We’re all very happy and surprised that she recovered so fast and so well. Please pray and bless her and her lovely grandmother.
When I visited little Liya today at Sheba Hospital, she was moved again back to the ICU because she developed a fever over the weekend. She was awake when I entered the room and I could hear that she was breathing fast and was in some distress. Last week doctors made some tests and found that Liya has some bacteria and was put on a course of antibiotics right away.
Also Liya has been experiencing problems with eating. This morning a specialist visited her and found that Liya is not taking from a bottle very well. For now, doctors are trying to feed her via mouth as much as possible, then give her the rest through a tube. But as she has also problems with breathing, there is some concern that Liya aspirates her milk when they are feeding her. Liya is still extubated and receives some inhalation to improve her breathing.
Liya’s grandma is staying faithfully by her side even though it has to be very exhausting for her. Let us thank God that Liya is doing fairly well despite all of this and pray for her healing!
The good news is that she does not need oxygen support anymore and they already started feeding her not only with the NG Tube, but also through her mouth.
Liya’s grandmother is very thankful for her progress. Thank you for your prayers. We can continue to pray for Liya and her full recovery.
The doctors told us that Liya is finally extubated since yesterday, but she still requires oxygen support. Also, she is getting her food through an NG Tube.
This morning, Liya had a fever, so they did a blood test and started a course of antibiotics for Liya. So hopefully she is doing better soon.
We spent a really good time together and her grandmother was very thankful and happy that we visited her and took the time for them. So please pray for them, especially for Liya, that her fever abates.
When Liya’s grandmother met me and Jonathan at the door of the ICU this afternoon, she eagerly beckoned us to come see Liya. Liya is stable right now, but yesterday she had several episodes of oxygen desaturation and needed increased medication. The doctors think this was caused by pulmonary hypertension and they hope to begin decreasing her medication soon.
The doctor said that they tried yesterday to extubate her, but it failed. So Liya is again intubated and they are searching now for the reasons why extubation is not working and are trying to solve the problem. However, Liya is stable and for this we’re thankful.
We had a nice time with Liya’s aunt and talked with her a while. Please pray for her, her family, and that the doctors can find and solve the problem with Liya’s extubation difficulty quickly.
Today I visited little Liya at Sheba Hospital’s Pediatric ICU for the first time. Her grandma is really kind and was happy that someone came to spend time with her. The doctor told us that they plan to extubate Liya today. They want to wait first until she is waking up but she is taking her time.
The band doctors placed around one of her arteries in the surgery yesterday, is for now to pretend that too much blood is coming to the lungs. Her heart is very complicated so she will need further surgeries in her life if she survives until then. The doctor was very honest to us and told us that Liya’s condition is very serious.
Her grandma was hopeful however today, and that’s what we are too. God loves this child and so we will never give up hope. Thank you for praying for little Liya. May God protect and bless her!