This afternoon, Racheal’s doctors met with her mother to share the difficult news that after successfully coming off the ECMO machine on Tuesday, Racheal was deteriorating quickly. Despite their best efforts, there was nothing more they could do for Racheal, and they expected she would live for only a few more hours.
Lilly and I joined Racheal’s mother in the ICU, where we waited and prayed all afternoon and into the evening. Racheal’s mother kissed her face and hands over and over and told her how beautiful she is and how much she loved her. Finally, the numbers on the monitors began to drop, and nestled in her mother’s arms, Racheal died.
“Racheal is good now,” her mother told me through tears as she stroked her baby’s hair for the last time. “No more machines. No more surgeries. No more pain. She’s good now.”
Racheal is safe in the arms of God now and always will be. There is peace and comfort in knowing that she will never again suffer as she did during her brief but precious life. But for those who loved her so deeply here on earth, even this knowledge cannot take away the pain of losing this beautiful little girl. Racheal’s mum has become a sister to us in the weeks she spent here and our time with her has been a beautiful gift. Please join us in prayer for her and her family as they grieve the loss of their baby girl.
“Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.”–Psalm 23:4
Little Racheal is still on the ECMO and very critical. But for the situation she is in, she is stable and doing okay. The doctors are waiting for her to loose some fluid weight and want to watch her for two or three more days before they decide what to do next.
Either they will try to remove her from the ECMO, or they will first do another procedure. We spent quite some time with Racheal’s mom today while we were waiting for the surgery of another Kurdish child. Thank you for praying for little Racheal. She still needs our prayer so much!
God, I pray this situation would somehow communicate your presence to Racheal’s family. Give strength, give peace. Thank you Lord for who You are and for all the things that You do.
Today, coworker Momo and I met Rachael’s mother as we entered the Pediatric ICU of Sheba Hospital. Together we went to her room and could see again the special bond that exists between this mother and her daughter as she kissed little Racheal.
Tomorrow Rachael has a planned catherization to inspect the shunt that was placed last time, and determine its pressure on the heart, whether good or not good. Past planned procedures have been postponed already for Racheal however because she has been doing so poorly. Let’s pray that this cath can take place tomorrow. Thanks for all prayers.
Today I went to Sheba Medical Center to visit little Rachel. She is still very, very sick, but if she maintains a stable condition as she is right now, she will have surgery on Tuesday, according to the doctors.
The doctors assume that one of the reasons why Rachel is so bad might be that the shunt they put in last Sunday is a little bit too big. So if she is not worse, she will have an open heart surgery, during which the doctors will put a smaller conduit in.
It is a very difficult situation, also for Racheal’s mother who is a very nice and kind person and I enjoy every moment with her. Please pray for little Rachel and her mother.
Today our coworker Doro and I went to Sheba Medical Center to visit little Racheal. Originally Racheal was planned to have a catheterization today, but after her blood pressure dropped very abruptly and the doctors had to increase her medicine, they decided that she is too unstable for a catheterization.
When we talked to the doctor he said that Rachel is right now “stable in her instability.”
She is still in a really critical condition and if Rachel will get worse in the next few days the doctors will most likely put her on an ECMO ( a machine that does the work of the heart and the lungs to let them rest).
Racheal’s mother is also struggling, as it is very hard for her to see her daughter like this. Today she was holding her daughter’s hand and shouting to God, begging for help.
That’s what I want to encourage you to do as well. Pray. Please pray for healing for Rachel, for strength for the doctors and for power for the mother.
One day after her chest closure surgery at Hadassah Hospital, our cute Racheal is still doing okay. Her blood pressure went a little bit down but she is stable! Her mom is always very happy to see us in the hospital, coming directly to us and hugging us. Let us pray for cute Racheal and also for her big brother that he can have also his surgery!
We volunteers at Shevet meet every morning to do worship, read the Bible, and pray for our kids in Ashdod and in the hospital. Today we prayed especially for little Rachael, who went into chest closure surgery today.
After our prayer, Rachael’s mother sent me a video how the doctors took Rachael into the OR. When we arrived in the hospital, coworker Joanne and I waited with Rachael’s mother until the surgery was finished and she could go into the room.
She was very nervous and anxious about the surgery. When she finally could enter the room and see her baby girl again, I could see how relieved she was. Especially also because the doctor said everything went well and for now they don’t see a difference between before and after the chest closure surgery, which is a good sign. Also the shunt the doctors took out yesterday, is not infected.
During our waiting time together, Rachael’s mother showed me pictures of Rachael back in Kurdistan. Rachael was never at home, only in the hospital. Her oxygen was very low and she had to be resuscitated once. But in all the pictures, I could see how patient and loving Racheal’s mother was, at her daughter’s side. She also told me that every time Rachael could sleep on her mother’s chest, her oxygen was so much better and she smiled. The doctor was impressed by this and that a one month old baby could smile like this. Look at this special mother – daughter relationship!
Rachael is the first and only daughter in this family, and I can understand their relationship now better, thanks to the pictures and what Rachael’s mother told me. They just have a very special and deep connection. So, it is also very hard for Rachael’s mother to see her daughter so weak and not be able to hold her right now in her arms. But I’m very glad that this little girl gets so much love!
After the successful surgery today, we have to wait to see how Rachael will improve. Her body is still very puffy and she will need time.
Please pray for Rachael and for improvement, and also for the relationship between mother and daughter, that the love Rachael gets will help her to recover and get strong.
This morning the hospital called us and told that Racheal is now going into surgery, so I drove to Sheba to be with her mother. When I finally found her she was sitting on the floor, crying and very worried about her beloved daughter behind the OR doors.
After three hours the doctor came out of the OR and told us that the surgery went well. They placed a BT shunt between her aorta and pulmonary artery to allow blood flow to the lungs and closed off the PDA. Also they removed the stent that they placed during her last catheterization. The stent could be the reason for all the infections she had lately and so they are making now tests with the stent to find out if this was so. The doctor said that now they only have to close her chest, so we waited again. First Racheal’s mom was very relieved from the good news but as it took longer and longer she was getting very worried again.
Again three hours later the doctor came and told us that when they tried to close the chest, Racheal’s blood pressure always was getting very low and so after three attempts to close the chest, they decided to leave it open for now. They hope that after the surgery she will improve and recover from the infections and so they can close the chest soon, maybe even tomorrow. But the doctor was also very honest to her mother and told that this was a big surgery, that Racheal will need time to recover and that she is still not doing well.
In the evening Rachel’s mother told me after this long intense hours together: “My mom, my sister and my husband couldn’t be here today with me, but you have been here for me – you’re my sister!” Before I entered the hospital I was a little bit afraid if I would be a good comfort to the mom because I don’t speak a lot of Kurdish and so I prayed that God would work in me and through me – and he did. Love doesn’t need many words and God can use everyone!
Today we expected Racheal to have had her catheterization in the morning at Sheba Hosptial, but she can’t have it yet. As usual, Racheal had her routine blood test, but the doctors discovered she has a bacteria. At this point, they don’t yet know if it’s the same bacteria she had, or if it’s a new bacteria. Racheal’s doctor decided her cath had to be postponed; for now, she can’t have any medical intervention.
Also Racheal had a hypertension crisis at midday, with low cardiac rhythm, low saturation and low oxygen. She needed CPR and extra medication.
For now, the doctors need to see and wait how Racheal reacts to the change in her antibiotics treatment. Thanks for your prayers in this situation.
Today doctors found that Racheal has a urinary infection, and they are giving her antibiotics and keeping her sedated. The doctors want to see how Racheal responds to the medication, and if she’ll continue to be stable she could have a cath on Thursday.
Racheal’s mom was smiling and hoping her daughter will be stable; for one day we brought the mother to our Ashdod house, so she can spend time with other Kurdish families, have a Kurdish dinner together and talk with all the volunteers.
In Sheba Hospital this morning, Racheal’s oxygen levels dropped and was put on oxygen support. Also the doctor doesn’t have new information about Racheal’s infection, so they will wait to see how she does this weekend, and then analyze everything as it relates to her surgery.
We know it’s not easy for Racheal’s mother to see her daughter so sick and to experience how complicated this whole process has been. Today she was overwhelmed for all the things that little Racheal has been through, and when I hugged her, she start to cry so much, she actually fainted. We had to transfer her to the ER where a blood test was ordered for her as well as an oxygen level check. Doctors said blood test results are alright, but that Racheal’s mother just needs to rest and take care to eat well.
So, as you pray for Racheal, please also keep her mother in your prayers for strength and peace.
Every time I see Racheal’s mother, she greets me with a big smile. I know that it’s not so easy for her to see her child so sick and being far away from home and still she is very strong and tries to be happy.
Please pray for Racheal and for wisdom for the doctors so they know what to do next.
The doctors have to decide now if she needs a surgery after her infection has cleared or to go ahead immediately. Please pray for the right decision to be made.
Rachael’s mother is very worried and it’s hard for her to see her daughter in such a bad condition. Still she is very strong and patiently remains by her daughter’s side. Also, she gets the kind support of other mothers and grandmothers in the hospital.
Please join us in prayer for Rachael and her mother. May God restore Rachael’s health and give her mother strength.
When I visited Racheal today, her mother was not there. A kind nurse explained to me exactly what is going on with Racheal right now and what medicine she is receiving.
Racheal is still on the ventilator and gets a lot of support for sleeping so that she is not waking up and resisting the ventilation. She also gets a lot of pain killers, because if she is not relaxed, she can develop a pulmonary hypertensive crisis. Today doctors want to place a new centerline for her.
Racheal’s parents have already lost one child before and so it has to be very hard for them to see their child in this condition. Especially for Racheal’s mom, who is here with her daughter and is herself still very young, this cannot be easy.
Let us pray for this little girl and her whole family! God is great and he can heal her!
One-and-a-half month old Racheal is stable. She was extubated for a few hours, but doctors at Sheba Hospital had to reintubate her again. They will try again in a day or two to extubate her. So, please pray that that goes well.
Racheal’s young mother is very worried about her child. Please pray for peace for her.
Today we found out that baby Racheal was named after her doctor, Dr. Rachel. And her brother Daniel was named after Dr.Rachel‘s husband Daniel.
Today, coworker Joanne and I visited little Rachael and her mom at Sheba Medical Center. The doctor explained to us, that Rachael is doing very well and they try to wake her up now. They also plan to extubate her today.
I’m really impressed by Rachael’s mother. She is patiently at her daughter’s side and also always has a nice smile for the people around her. I enjoy her company.
We pray for Rachael, that she will be able to breathe on her own and daily gain new strength. Praying also for her mom’s to be strong also.
Racheal had a very quick catheterization first thing this morning at Sheba Hospital. Until now she has survived on a medication that keeps a small hole in her heart open to allow blood flow. Today, the doctors placed a stent to widen her pulmonary artery and allow blood to flow more normally through her heart.
Today I visited cute little Racheal and her lovely mother at Sheba Hospital. The doctor told me that she has her catheterization tomorrow. At the moment, she has oxygen support and gets high calorie food through an NG Tube.
I always have a good time with Racheal’s mother, and it is good to see how calm and thankful she is. The doctors from Kurdistan who escorted Rachael and her mother all the way from Kurdistan, were also at the hospital to say their goodbyes and that they would look in future to see how Racheal is doing after she returns to Kurdistan. These two doctors and I prayed for Racheal, a powerful moment.
It is always good to keep in mind, that God is in control and holds everything in his hand, also little Racheal and her mother. So let’s pray for her catheterization tomorrow, that everything goes well and she is doing better afterwards!
Today coworker Lilly and I visited our new child from Kurdistan and her wonderful mother.
The doctors already intubated her and made different check ups, a cardiac CT and a X-Ray.
The doctors have to get to know her better. That’s why they didn’t decided yet which kind of surgery she will have.
We had a really nice first meeting with her lovely mother. She was very thankful for the help, but she was also very tired from the trip to Israel. Please pray for this wonderful girl and mother, for blessings, strength and patience for their hospital journey now.
Tiny baby Racheal was surviving in Kurdistan with the help of an oxygen machine and a constant infusion of medication, but she needed urgent medical care to survive much longer. Today, after a whirlwind of preparations and delays, Racheal and her mother landed safely in Israel, escorted by two doctors who volunteered their time to bring her all the way from Kurdistan to Sheba hospital.