Yano is stable today; her mother was faithfully praying by her bedside this morning. It’s hard to depict the emotional, physical, and psychological toll that having a child this ill takes on a parent. Over the weekend, one of the other Kurdish parents in the hospital called to say that Yano’s mother was really struggling, so between Friday and Saturday a few of our coworkers went to be with her.
Supporting her is a group effort, between the Kurdish mother calling to say that Yano’s mother wasn’t doing well, to the Kurdish mothers at our community house discussing what food she liked best and then cooking it for us to take to the hospital, and an older Kurdish mother accompanying us to the hospital on Saturday afternoon, we have all come to be around Yano’s mother.
Please pray with us.
Today coworker Sabrina and I visited Yano and her mother again at Sheba hospital in the pediatric ICU. The doctor told us that nothing changed with her condition, but that the heart rhythm is different and that they will adapt the machines.
When we came in the room, Yano’s mom looked very tired and her attitude was very weak. She sat next to Yano’s bed the whole night, walked only a bit through the room and slept for one hour. Also she explained to us, that she cried a lot.
Sabrina brought her some Nescafé and she ate a bit. After that, you could see that she felt better and sometimes she even smiled at us. It’s a very hard time for her and I’m very glad that we know that God is control and he is the one who can give strength in this incomprehensible situation.
In her second day at Sheba hospital in the pediatric ICU, and on ECMO, doctors started Yano on a new medication to help her heart function; we will see if this helps her improve as there has not been improvement yet. Coworkers Jonathan and Michelle visited her today, and were able to translate this for Yano’s mother.
Thankfully everything went well and it was a successful diagnostic catheterization. The doctors are planning out the next steps for a Fontan procedure. It would be a potentially high-risk surgery for her, so prayers going forward for wisdom for the doctors, and protection for Yano are appreciated.
Yano is small but she has a big personality! After her ECG, she carefully took all the stickers off herself rather than allowing the nurse to do it. Later, she politely requested a gift from the nurse in return for undergoing a blood test.
Yano is full of infectious joy and is friends with everyone she meets. She was excited to receive a new dress from Danit at the hospital today. It was a long day of tests and waiting, but Yano’s endless energy and abundant joy made it truly enjoyable.
We were monitoring her vitals and her energy and she was stable. Today we decided to take her to Sheba hospital’s ER since the sickness has persisted.
Upon arrival, they put Yano on oxygen, and monitored her vitals. During this time, Yano was given plenty of fun things to keep her occupied. They later did some blood tests, and an X-Ray. After a few hours in the ER, the doctor informed us that all of the tests were good, and we were able to return to Jaffa.
I picked up Yano and her mom today from our Jerusalem Guest house for Yano’s assessment at Sheba hospital.
In the beginning, everything went very quick and easy. We didn’t wait long for the echo and Yano was very calm. I’ve never seen a child so relaxed during the assessment at the hospital. Usually the children are crying, but Yano was very uncomplicated.
After the long day, we were happy to have this information and went back to Jerusalem, where Yano and her mother are staying currently.
Last night I had the opportunity to meet the very active and smart Yano and her beautiful mother for the first time since their arrival here in Israel. Yano had to come to the Sheba hospital ER because her oxygen saturation was very low, around 50% and she had a cough.
Results indicated Yano’s heart appears larger than it should be, and her overall heart condition is worsening. Yano’s cough is improving however and her oxygen saturation varied upward between 50-80%. According to Yano’s mother, Yano’s oxygen fluctuation is normal for her and behaves this way also in Kurdistan, characteristically unstable but they still manage. Therefore it was decided not to keep Yano in the hospital, thank God, but that Yano and her mom could go back to Jerusalem for the time being; they’ll finish their quarantine requirements.
Yano’s first appointment to see the cardiologist will be in the next few days. While we were waiting to be seen by the ER doctor, it was a nice waiting time to spend together with both Yano and her mom. They have a lovely relationship and Yano is a very smart girl. The doctor loved Yano already, they’re friends now.
Please pray that Yano remains in a good condition for her time in Jerusalem. I’m looking forward to spending more time with lovely Yano and her mother and to get to know them more.
Yesterday, co-worker Bria and I went to Ben Gurion airport to welcome Dea and her mother and Yano and her mother, both mothers and daughters having traveled all the way from Kurdistan. Their visas were going to expire, so we had to bring them now even though Dea’s surgery may take some time still.
Yano and her mother, on left above, are quarantining now in our Jerusalem guesthouse. Theresa is quarantining with them as well, hopefully they can be out in a week just in time to have their first assessments at Sheba hospital.
Yano’s mom is excited about being in Jerusalem and we hope it will be a big blessing to them as they now wait for their procedures.