Then a decision can be made toward a discharge to Kurdistan.
Yousif’s mother is in a good mood because her tiny son is extubated! This shows that he continues to recover very well from his surgery.Praise the Lord for this.
Thank you for your prayers that are still appreciated. May Yousif continue in his good recovery.
It has been a harrowing couple of days for Yousif, from being unexpectedly dmitted to the hospital via the ER on Thursday night, to an emergency cath on Friday night to aid the blood flow in his heart, and finally the arterial switch operation today, he and his mother have undergone so much in a relatively short period of time; the surgery today, we hope is the last intervention he needs after his two catheterizations, one in Kurdistan and the one from Friday. It was during the Shabbat meal, the first with the remaining families out of quarantine, when one of the Kurdish mothers in hospital called to say Yousif was not well and was having a procedure. His oxygen was dropping into the thirties. For a few minutes Georgia and I hesitated whether we needed to go, but then she said one very definitive thing that put it beyond a doubt: If Yousif’s mother was my sister I would be there. It wasn’t a very long cath, just to widen a hole in his so blood would flow better, but during this time other Kurdish mothers and fathers in the hospital came intermittently to check on Yousif’s mother. Today was similar, different parents coming, sitting for a while, encouraging her with their own funny, eccentric experiences in the hospital, some suggesting to go outside to help pass the time, so on. The surgery was about five hours in total and by the end his mum was relieved and overjoyed to see Yousif’s small frame being wheeled in an adult size bed up to his recovery room in the ICU. Please pray for him as he recovers, so much has happened in these past days to him, so we thank God he is on the other side of his big operation.
What started as a routine check-up, ended with Yousif being admitted to the ICU at Sheba hospital. He came in the evening for an ultrasound, and to the cardiac clinic for an echo where the cardiologist watched his oxygen drop to the sixties as he was crying. After that, he went to the ER for further observation and the team there decided to admit him to the ICU. One of the doctors on the floor reassured his mum that he is in a much better condition now than he was in the echo.
When we entered the ICU, pretty much all the other Kurdish parents rushed over to see Yousif’s mother, I think that was a bit of a relief for her as the whole evening was acutely stressful for her. We pray he remains stable over the weekend and they can wait until Sunday to perform his surgery, which was the original plan before he was hospitalized tonight.
Yousif came to Sheba hospital today for a CT scan of his heart and a corona test in preparation for his operation, scheduled for Sunday. Obviously, everyone loves this beautiful boy and are taken aback by his small size. It was six hours of fasting before the procedure today which is a really long time for a baby who eats every two hours; it’s like missing three meals. Once the CT angio was done, he was able to take his bottle as usual and enjoyed eating and sleeping normally.
This morning little Yousif was spontaneously called to Sheba hospital for an echo. I brought him and his mother to the hospital. Even though he is already often called “small Yousif“ by us, I only realized his tininess when I wanted to put him in the car seat. So small and cute! While I was parking the car, my co-worker Georgia brought Yousif and his mother to the echo area. When I arrived there, they were already in the room, so I joined them to see what was happening. After the echo, the doctor told me that he wants to discuss with more doctors what to do about Yousif’s treatment and that Yousif will most likely need a CT scan to help them find out more. Please pray for wisdom from above to equip the doctors in their decisions, thereby securing the very best help for little Yousif.
Yousif had his first appointment at Sheba hospital today. He had an echo that lasted for about an hour as the cardiologist and technician worked to thoroughly capture the structure of his heart. His mum was amazing. This is her first baby and he is only one and a half months old. She calmed him and got him to sleep. The doctor confirmed he needs the arterial switch surgery, which was the recommendation in Kurdistan.
Today Yousif and his mother arrived with four other families at the Jordan river crossing after coming by plane to Jordan from Kurdistan, When I arrived at the crossing point, the families had already passed the control and also my co-workers Georgia and Alena were already there, so I quickly joined the group picture at the last second.
Then we went outside to the Shevet vans, parked at the crossing, and waiting for us. Thank God there was enough space for all the bags and all the families, so we made our way back. On our last trip from the Jordan border, there was a situation in which the Lord answered my prayer, and showed me that he knows what we need. Today the exact same thing happened, and it was such a beautiful reminder of his faithfulness for me.
I hope that his faithfulness encourages us to also be faithful to him. Would you join us in prayer for newborn Yousif? He will have his first appointment in Sheba hospital tomorrow.