Stable but with some difficulties
When I visited little Liya today at Sheba Hospital, she was moved again back to the ICU because she developed a fever over the weekend. She was awake when I entered the room and I could hear that she was breathing fast and was in some distress. Last week doctors made some tests and found that Liya has some bacteria and was put on a course of antibiotics right away.
Also Liya has been experiencing problems with eating. This morning a specialist visited her and found that Liya is not taking from a bottle very well. For now, doctors are trying to feed her via mouth as much as possible, then give her the rest through a tube. But as she has also problems with breathing, there is some concern that Liya aspirates her milk when they are feeding her. Liya is still extubated and receives some inhalation to improve her breathing.
Liya’s grandma is staying faithfully by her side even though it has to be very exhausting for her. Let us thank God that Liya is doing fairly well despite all of this and pray for her healing!
Today coworker Frank and I visited little Liya and her grandmother at Sheba Hospital.
The doctors told us that Liya is finally extubated since yesterday, but she still requires oxygen support. Also, she is getting her food through an NG Tube.
This morning, Liya had a fever, so they did a blood test and started a course of antibiotics for Liya. So hopefully she is doing better soon.
We spent a really good time together and her grandmother was very thankful and happy that we visited her and took the time for them. So please pray for them, especially for Liya, that her fever abates.
When Liya’s grandmother met me and Jonathan at the door of the ICU this afternoon, she eagerly beckoned us to come see Liya. Liya is stable right now, but yesterday she had several episodes of oxygen desaturation and needed increased medication. The doctors think this was caused by pulmonary hypertension and they hope to begin decreasing her medication soon.
A nurse in the ICU explained Liya’s situation to us, and while it is serious, there is definitely hope for her. Please pray for God’s healing for precious Liya.
Today coworker Willem and I visited little Liya and her aunt in Sheba Hospital.
The doctor said that they tried yesterday to extubate her, but it failed. So Liya is again intubated and they are searching now for the reasons why extubation is not working and are trying to solve the problem. However, Liya is stable and for this we’re thankful.
We had a nice time with Liya’s aunt and talked with her a while. Please pray for her, her family, and that the doctors can find and solve the problem with Liya’s extubation difficulty quickly.
Today I visited little Liya at Sheba Hospital’s Pediatric ICU for the first time. Her grandma is really kind and was happy that someone came to spend time with her. The doctor told us that they plan to extubate Liya today. They want to wait first until she is waking up but she is taking her time.
The band doctors placed around one of her arteries in the surgery yesterday, is for now to pretend that too much blood is coming to the lungs. Her heart is very complicated so she will need further surgeries in her life if she survives until then. The doctor was very honest to us and told us that Liya’s condition is very serious.
Her grandma was hopeful however today, and that’s what we are too. God loves this child and so we will never give up hope. Thank you for praying for little Liya. May God protect and bless her!