This morning we got the good news that Iman was cleared to go home! She had gained enough weight, and her tests for bacteria in the blood had come back negative. All they wanted to do before she could go was to have an echo to see when she should return for her next check-up. However, there were a lot of other children needing echos today, so Iman’s patient grandmother and I waited together for a couple hours. Finally, she was called in for her echo. It looked good, for the most part. The doctor wants to keep an eye on the pressure around her aortic valve and the thickness of her heart walls, so he’ll check on that when she comes back in two months.
After the echo, we had to wait for a couple hours till the car was ready to take her to the Gaza border. While we were waiting, I held sleeping Iman while her grandmother went to pray. An elderly Jewish woman came and (I think) complimented me on my beautiful daughter in Hebrew. Since she didn’t speak English, I thought I wouldn’t be able explain to her that Iman isn’t mine… but I decided to try Arabic, just in case. And she understood it! We had a good conversation about the work of Shevet Achim, and then she told me that she is from Kurdistan, which is how she knows Arabic! She was happy to hear the Shevet also works with many Kurdish children.
Before she left, she wished God’s blessings on little Iman and her grandmother. Praise God for Iman’s healing, and for the wonderful chance encounters that He puts in our way! Please pray that Iman will continue to do well back home in Gaza.
Our little Iman is looking very well today as she sleeps peacefully in her crib in Hadassah Hospital.
Today her grandmother arrived from Gaza to give Iman’s tired mother a rest. Yesterday the doctors suspected that Iman might have bacteria in her blood, so they did a test and will get results back tomorrow.
She also needs to gain some weight. But if she gains weight over the weekend, and her echo on Sunday looks good, the doctors hope to discharge her.
Let’s pray that she will meet the criteria for discharge, and that she will soon be able to go home healthy.
Moved to Pediatric Department
Iman was relocated from the Pediatric ICU at Hadassah Hospital to the Pediatric Department over the weekend. When I was asking for her in the PICU, one nurse who only spoke Arabic, redirected me to the two cardiologists who were standing in the middle of the hall. It was very nice opportunity to interact with them.
They told me all the details they knew about her and her diagnosis. It was very lovely see the passion in their words, you can easily recognize they love what they are doing.
Iman is having a good evolution since her surgery five days ago, she will stay in isolation because she contracted a bacteria from a Gaza hospital. The medical staff needed to be sure this won’t generate any complications in her, consequently she is having daily tests and checks.
Iman is already opening her eyes, just one day after surgery at Hadassah Hospital in Jerusalem.
When I walked in, a doctor was cleaning her tube. The doctor told me Iman was waking up a bit, but not breathing enough on her own yet. However, just a few minutes later, the doctor returned. Iman had woken up and was trying to touch her intubation. She was also breathing by herself. The doctor said that she was ready to be extubated.
Hopefully, later today, she will be successfully extubated. She is recovering very well from her surgery, and is already moving her arms and legs, fully awake. Her mom is very happy, and has also been able to have a bit of rest. Please pray that she is successfully extubated, and that she’ll continue to improve.
Late last night, tiny two-week-old Iman arrived at Hadassah hospital by ambulance. She and her sweet mother were both very tired when I met them today. I was very surprised when a doctor came in and explained to Iman’s mother that she would be going into surgery in ten minutes. Iman has a narrowing of her aorta, a hole between the upper chambers of her heart, and an abnormality with her aortic valve. The ten minutes stretched into two hours, but she finally went into surgery at about 2:00pm. Her mother was quite worried, but she soon calmed down enough to sleep a bit. After four hours of waiting, Iman came out of surgery. Her aortic narrowing has been solved!
Praise God, she is doing very well after surgery. Of course, the first day after surgery is always very critical, so please pray that she will remain stable and not develop any problems.