Written by Ben:
Today I went to Hadassah Hospital to visit Loai, still in thePICU, room six. His grandmother gave me the shocking news that Luai had had a third operation the same day (on the 19th).
Apparently about five hours after the second operation, the pathway of circulation closed in his chest. The doctors made an emergency operation in his room, where he is now.
We hope to get some answers soon to what actually happened.
Written by Michiel:
I was able to discuss with Dr. Uri that the former shunt operation went well on the 19 September, however five hours later, the shunt blocked and an emergency operation, in the PICU, was needed to remove the blockage. Now they’re waiting to see whether the right ventricle will grow to full capacity to pump blood to the lungs.
We hope and pray.
I visited Loai in Hadassah Hospital’s PICU today.
Loai had just had an operation to reduce the size of the shunt around the artery bringing blood coming from her lungs to her heart. The surgeons are feeling confident so far in what they have done, to bring a greater balance to Loai’s circulation to the body with the improved blood-flow.
At one time today there were 11 doctors, surgeons and nurses in his room in the PICU. What a miracle in this hospital compared to others in their region for just one
After two of the doctors explained to me what had been done, I translated it to Loai’s grandmother, who has been all these days with Loai.
I visited with Loai today at Hadassah Hospital.
Little Loai will have an operation tomorrow because too much blood is coming through a large shunt, from the lungs. They’re going to reduce the size of the shunt slightly to balance out the amount of blood going to the lungs and not going to the rest the body. The doctor is confident that by doing this, it will help Abeer to gain weight. Therefore, they are still holding off on putting in the PEG tube until they see the results of this stunt operation.
Prayers appreciated for Loai.
Loai was returned to the ICU yesterday in Hadassah Hospital, when his condition deteriorated in the children’s ward.
His cardiologist now believes they may have to return him to surgery in order to downsize the conduit which they placed one month ago.
Please pray also for his family escort Um Bilal who is weary and hoping another relative can come and take her place in the ICU.
Medically, our sweet little baby Loai is still waiting in Hadassah Hospital for the PEG surgery to be able to receive the milk directly into his stomach. But there is so much more going on concerning the babies in the hospital.
This sweet little happy mouse is one of several gifts made by a circle of knitting ladies in the UK. They have sent them here for one simple reason, they want to bless the children brought here by Shevet Achim.
This little precious boy is highly valued in the eyes of God, the medical staff, us, and people around the world praying for his healing. We are all waiting for good news, and until then, let us keep him covered in prayers.
Today I visited little Loai at Hadassah Hospital. We were all wondering when the PEG tube was going to be placed so I asked the doctor on duty.
The doctor said that he felt Loai needed to gain weight and a critical piece to that objective was the placement of the PEG tube. However, this cannot take place until about a week from now. He said they have to first do some tests concerning Loai’s breathing and to run some other tests before they can place the tube.
God bless this little baby and help him to get through this.
Possible long-term antibiotics needed
Today coworker Michiel and I went to Hadassah Hospital to visit Loai. Loai is looking good, now weighing 2.900 kg.
For the administration of medication they had to create an IV on his head, as his arm proved too difficult. Then threee times, liquid was taken from his back (spine?), but we haven’t yet had an explanation for this as requested by Loai’s grandmother.
Later on however, Dr. Tehila gave us an elaborate explanation: there was infection in Loai’s blood and they were afraid that it would pass to his brain. Therefore three times a CSF (fluid from the spinal cord) was taken.
Until now the CSF is safe, revealing that it contained no bacteria. Dr. Tahila, also said that the length of time the antibiotics will be administered is right now unknown, meaning it could last for weeks or longer. The doctor emphasized that this is a ‘long-term’ healing process. Yeah.
This morning I went to Hadassah Hospital with coworker Berith to visit Loai and his grandmother.
This grandmother always has a smile on her face.
Today the doctors ordered an X-Ray to see what the condition of Loai’s stomach is. Results pending. We continue to keep this little guy in our prayers.
Antibiotics for bacteria found
Today I visited Loai in Sheba Hospital. Loai is in the Children’s Ward.
Dr. Tehila said Loai has a bacteria in his urine, but also in his blood. The latter is more serious as it may go to the brain. Loai is now on antibiotics which we pray takes care of this problem.
Only if the bacteria is under control will doctors try to let him gain weight via PEG tube, because he cannot eat enough by himself. But this remains to be seen.
Possible PEG tube next week
Coworker Berith and I went to Hadassah Hospital today to make a few visits. One of these was to Loai and his grandmother in the Children’s Ward.
Loai’s grandmoither greeted us warmly. We spent some time seeking to encourage her. She had been sick this past week but was feeling better today.
This grandmother has a very good sense of humor. The big joke of the day was how different food in the hospital is to food from Gaza. She showed us some paperwork which had to do with a proposed operation for Loai, in nine days on Tuesday, to attach a food tube to his stomach to increase his consumption of food and increase his weight, as the nurse at the front desk said that Loai is increasing his weight very slowly.
During our visit we were also able also to chat with Loai’s father via cell phone.
Coworker Berith and I visited little Loai in the Children’s Ward of Hadassah Hospital today.
Dr. Karin showed me Loai’s medical account showing a very complex heart condition, although for now Loai is stable. Berith comforted Loai who was panting for air a bit.
Loai’s chaperone grandmother was not feeling well today so we helped get her some pain relievers and prayed with her to feel well again. By the time we left the room, both Loai and his grandmother were sound asleep.
I found sweet little baby Loai asleep when I entered his room, and his smiling grandmother and I stood by his bedside for a long time, rejoicing just by looking at him. I reminded her about the shape he was in when he first came to Hadassah Hospital, and we both agreed, to see the difference is stunning. All the glory to God!
I love the precence of this woman, she always fills my heart with joy, and neither of us can stop smiling when we spend time together. I told her how happy I am that she was able to come here with Loai, as the doctors and nurses are very skilled in their profession and have warm and loving hearts, and she agreed. She even added, “We have seen so many kind and loving people here,” which made me very glad, because that is what I experience visiting the hospital. A warm and welcoming spirit is hovering over the place.
We spoke to a nurse whowas able to tell us that clinically speaking, Loai is doing well, but he needs to be fed oraly every 20 minutes, and what is left of the milk goes through the nose drain. His oxygen is at a good level around 84%.
Please continue to pray for baby Loai. His journey to total healing and restoration is not over yet.
After Hadassah Hospital doctors were unable to open up Loai’s narrow pulmonary valve in the cath lab yesterday morning, he was rushed into the operating room in the afternoon for surgery to place a shunt.
He only finally emerged again after 6:00 pm. Today we found him stable and his grandmother much relieved. He’ll need more surgery in the future, but his doctors are optimistic about his long-term prognosis.
Thank God for prolonging this precious life.
Cath today followed by unexpected surgery
Today was Loai’s scheduled catheterization at Hadassah Hospital. I went to the hospital to be with Loai’s grandmother during the waiting time.
We waited only a few hours for the cath to be completed. We were told they could not repair Loai’s problems via the cath. Baby Loai had just arrived after the failed procedure and as soon as he was stabilized, we were told he had to go into a now ’emergency’ heart surgery. This was completely unexpected. His grandmother was shaking and crying at the suddeness of this news. It was too much to take in.
I’m so grateful for the mercy God showed to Loai’s grandmother, that she wasn’t alone, and that I could stay. Loai’s in the surgery now so please pray for a good resault, that the surgeons don’t miss anything, and for peace for his worried family.
Newborn Loai was transferred to Hadassah Medical Center in Jerusalem this afternoon in an ICU ambulance. Doctors in Gaza said his life was at immediate risk without cardiac intervention which is only available in Israel. He is escorted by his grandmother.
Doctors are now assessing the anatomy of Loai’s heart and will decide on a plan of treatment.