We said farewell this week to four of our Kurdish children. Rizhna, Mariya, Avan, and Yaman have safely returned home together after all being discharged.
Getting them out of the country was no simple matter after almost all flights from Ben Gurion were cancelled. My father sent us word at 11 AM Tuesday that travel permission had come for them to enter Jordan; two hours and one trip to Jerusalem to pick up Yaman later, we were driving down to the border crossing in a car stuffed to the brim with children, mothers, and suitcases.
When there, we had a brief, alarming hiccup when the Israeli customs refused to let our van cross the border with them, meaning that they—and my father, who picked them up from Jordan—would, with children in hand, have to lug all their possessions through taxis and buses all the way to their end destination. But God is good, and eventually the border allowed them through, car and all.
Those four have been with us for a long time. Rizhna was here for over six months, Mariya for four, and Avan and Yaman for one and a half. We laughed with them and wept with them; we saw them arrive sick and return home healed. We grew to love them all. Our houses and our hearts feel hollow with them gone; but we also rejoice to see them restored after such long absences to their families. God indeed is good, and he keeps his promises.
Today we got to pick up Avan and her mother from Sheba Hospital becouse the doctors discharged her. It was a very happy moment to see the joy in Avan’s mother’s eyes, even though Avan didn’t understand what was going on.
The doctor told us that Avan’s recovery is going very good, she got used to the new medication already, and her oxygen level is very good. She will have a follow-up appointment next week to see how she is doing and what the next steps will be. One goal for her is that she needs to gain a little bit more weight.
We pray that Avan will get stronger and gain more weight in the following weeks.
Avan’s mother greeted me very happily when I stepped into her room at Sheba Hospital. I knew she would be even happier when I told her the good news that the doctor told me: Avan is doing very good, and she might get discharged this week. The reason why she is still in hospital is that she is on different meds now, and they want so see how she adjusts to them.
We praise the Lord for the recovery so far, and that we can maybe welcome Avan this week back in our community home in Ashdod.
Today I walked into Avan’s room in the secondary ICU at Sheba Hospital. She is moved here now. Avan had no more oxygen support. Praise God!
Her mother was trying to feed her some food. Avan has been doing better, but since three days she has been crying a lot. Avan wants to be held in her mother’s arms. The doctor needs to make a plan for Avan these days. For now they are waiting for her to grow stronger every day. She is taking small steps in getting better.
Please be praying for Avan and her health, and that she can be a happy baby soon!
Avan is getting better and better! Praise the Lord! The doctors at Sheba Medical did an ultrasound to see how her heart is doing. Her breathing skills are very good! Now the doctors want to slowly take her off the oxygen-support. I’m always excited to see Avan and her mom, I enjoy the talks and we laugh a lot together! We are all happy to see Avan getting better. We pray for complete healing and that she can get soon off the oxygen-support!
Today coworker JoMa and I went to the ICU in Sheba Medical Center to visit Avan and Avan’s mother. Avan was sleeping peacfully, and I could see a little smile on her face, and in her beautiful eyes for one small second. She is still having some trouble breathing, but right now the doctors don’t think that she will need a second operation anymore.
We pray that she will keep on improving and that her mother still have the strength to keep going.
While doctors at Sheba Hospital have been concerned with Avan’s rate of recovery and condition after surgery, she is still fighting hard and pushing to catch up with what doctors had hoped. In fact she is even getting extubated today!
She was being taken off of sedatives when I saw her this morning, and instead of the typical look of confusion and discomfort most kids have in such a state, I saw a look of determination in her eyes. God has carried her through every step of the way, and it is incredible to see the fruit of that every day.
Today coworker JoMa and I visited Avan and her mother at Sheba Hospital. Her mother was waiting for us eagerly and was very happy to see us.
The doctor told us that Avan is stable, but she is not doing as well as they had hoped. She is suffering from hypertension at the moment, and the cardiologists will consider the further treatment plan tomorrow. It came up that they may want to do a second surgery, but it’s all still pretty uncertain.
Even though it was not the most positive news, Avan’s mother was still in a good mood. We pray that Avan will be healed and that her mother will be able to stay strong
This morning I knocked on the door of Avan and her mother to tell them the surprise that Avan will go to the hospital for surgery next week. Avan’s mother was very excited and immediately started packing.
When we arrived in Sheba Hospital’s ICU, we heard that there was some miscommunication and an addition of an emergency surgery next week, which made the schedule for next week full. This means that Avan will not have surgery next week, but hopefully a week later. She stays in the hospital this night, so the doctors can run some tests on her and collect all the information needed for the surgery.
Avan’s mother was a little discouraged, but she seemed to be doing well when I left them at the hospital. Avan is such a cute baby. All the nurses and doctors who came along smiled when they saw her.
Early this morning, coworker Bria and I took Avan to Sheba Hospital for a scheduled CT-scan. Avan was crying a lot because she had to fast for the anesthesia, so she was very hungry.
Thankfully, we didn’t have to wait so long. Avan went into the CT-scan and after 20 minutes she came into the recovery room. Avan was immediately wide awake and ready for her bottle of milk.
After the nurse observed that Avan recovered well from the anesthesia, I took Avan to the echo area. The echo taken previously didn’t have clear enough pictures. Today the echo went better and the doctor decided that Avan doesn’t need a diagnostic cath before surgery. So now it’s just waiting for the surgery.
Avan’s mother was very thankful to hear this news. She told me with tears in her eyes that she prayed that Avan didn’t need a catheterization.
Today I went with Avan and her mother for the first time to Sheba Hospital. It was an exciting day for Avan, and her mother was pretty nervous.
We had quite a few appointments, so it was a pretty busy day. First we went and made the echo and the EKG, which Avan had a lot of fun with. She was very sweet and played with my bracelets throughout the whole process. After that, we also did a blood test and an X-Ray. The doctor told us that she is doing okay, but before she has her surgery, she will probably need a catheter.
All in all, it was a fun day at the hospital, and now we are back at our family home in Ashdod until the CT appointment this week.
We pray this beautiful girl receives the best care we can provide for her.
Today we received this beautiful Kurdish child named Avan. She is chaperoned by her mother seen in the picture above.
Avan’s arrival to Ben Gurion had a small mishap or two. There was an apparent loss of both luggage and of Avan and her mother for a very short time. But they were found and all was made well again.
These two new arrivals were then transported in a Shevet van to our community home in Ashdod. Avan is in reasonable condition and is already settling into things at the family house, getting acquainted with the other adults and with the vibrant variety of children already convalescing there.
Avan’s initial assessment visit to Sheba Hospital is coming up soon. Thank you for your prayers for this bright-eyed baby girl.