As we reached the hospital this morning, Wareen’s surgery has been already started. But when we found her dad, he was, considering his situation, really in a good mood. He spoke with all the different nurses and doctors to find out about Wareen and even took a selfie with the surgeons assistant of his daughters surgery. They also exchanged their numbers and he proudly showed us their chat. He is a humorous men. Of course he was really concerned about his daughter, but still we could chat a lot and also had many laughs about our funny Kurdish and English mix we are speaking with one another, so. And we also prayed together.
Wareen’s surgery went well. The doctors could fix six different problems she had, for example closing a whole in her heart and preparing her valves. But still the doctors are a bit worried about her low blood pressure and other small problems which came up. So, please really pray for her next hours, which are important for the outcome of the surgery.
First of all I will ask you to pray for strength and patience for Wareen’s father, because they will need to be at the hospital for 14 more days under an antibiotic treatment.
Her dad speaks basic English but I was able to translate from English to his heart language, Kurdish, and give him some words of encouragement.
But in the middle of the long waiting there is hope and healing. The staff did a new blood culture and the result was negative which means that the treatment is working!
Her general condition is stable but she is still on oxygen. Hopefully soon the surgeons will be able to decide when to perform her operation.
Last night we had a big scare. Our beautiful Wareen was not doing well. Her oxygen dropped, her heart rate and temperature were high, and her breathing was difficult and she was more blue than she is usually. We tried to manage the situation, but this did not improve enough to be sure that she was safe at home. Sophie and I took Wareen and her Dad to the ER around 11 o’clock pm, and on our way to the hospital her oxygen continued to drop. We were praying all the time for her.
Thank the Lord we arrived safely. Immediately the ER staff took care of her. They performed an echo, x-ray, ECG, blood test, and they put in an IV line for fluids. They were able to stabilize her. And then, she was admitted to secondary ICU for a cardiology check. Sophie updated them with the medical information while I was taking care of Wareen, who fell sleep in my arms. I was very thankful to God that Wareen was safe and stable. Please pray for her and for her Dad. For her soon recovery of her viruses and she can have her surgery
No surgery for Wareen today. Last night, she had an unexplained increase of temperature. The temperature was fine early this morning, but increased just before surgery. Since the doctors cannot explain the increase, they did not accept it as a risk for the surgery. However, she will remain in the ICU, waiting for better conditions for surgery. Father Mohammed is very much looking forward to the surgery!
Fortunately we got in the morning a phone call from the hospital that Wareen can come to the hospital for her admission and possible surgery tomorrow. So we all were very happy about that and her father as well. When we arrived at the hospital Wareen was almost getting her bed in ICU straight away. From the first moment there every nurse who saw her was just loving her and her cute smile and blue eyes, so she made a lot of friends there. After making some tests in her room there which Wareen didn’t like, the nurses took her to make a CT scan. They made the CT scan with sedation but it was fine for her. Afterwards they gave her oxygen.
Wareen’s father and Diana went to the surgeon to speak about the procedure tomorrow. Wareen and her dad had a long day with a lot of tests but they both were patient and lovely. It was also very helpful that Wareen’s father can speak English. Hopefully Wareen will have her surgery tomorrow early in the morning. Please pray for a successful surgery and for the surgeons that they will be calm and do a good job.
Today, Wareen was diagnosed by echocardiography. The echo started well, but after 10 minutes she started to cry and we could not stop her crying. After a break there was a second attempt. Again she started crying before the flow measurements started. Finally she got a sedative to sleep. While sleeping, the echo was successful.
We took samples of body material to test if she bears any high risk bacteria. Dr. Uriel Katz took further information from our medical records and from her father. His conclusion is that Wareen needs full repair. We have to wait for her to be scheduled.
Today we picked up Wareen and her father from the airport, together with two other families. They left Kurdistan at 4:15 Erbil time and landed at Ben Gurion airport at 7:49 Israel time. They had a very short night for sleeping. So on arrival, sweet Wareen was fast asleep. Wareen was born 9 months ago with Down’s syndrome and cyanotic congenital heart disease. She was referred by her local pediatric cardiologist to an advanced cardiac center abroad. During flight she used oxygen. On arrival her heart rate and oxygen saturation were at acceptable levels. She did not look blue. Father speaks a bit English.