He had an echo, a blood test and an ECG and was very brave. The doctor said that everything looks good so far and that he needs to come back for another check-up in three month again. Later in the day, he had an appointment with the genetic doctor and while his mom talked to the doctor I was first playing with Omar a while in the hallway and later he was falling asleep on a couch.
Omar’s mother has a very special place in my heart, because she is the first Gaza mom I met at Shevet. To see how Omar is growing and developing makes me so happy.
Today’s echo result is very good. The only problem is that we came too late and the blood test for INR levels couldn’t be made. The doctors need this result to decide about the saturation of a medicine and suggested to do this test in the hospital in Gaza. I related this to Omar’s mother and she will make an appointment. It will be very important for Omar and his next steps. In three months we will see Omar again for another check-up.
Coworker Marwan and I wanted to visit Omar at Sheba Hospital, but at the first try, the nurse informed us that Omar is having an echo. She also told us that the echo and a blood test result would decide for a discharge today or not.
The only problem was Omar’s nosebleed. The blood test will give the doctors more clarity about the nosebleed and they will adapt the medication afterwards.
The medication is available in Gaza and we are happy to share with you that he got successfully discharged today. We brought him and his lovely mother with another family back to the Erez Border crossing with Gaza.
Let’s praise God for the good recovery and quick discharge of Omar.
After the big surgery at Sheba Children’s Hospital yesterday, Omar is recovering very well. He is already extubated and the doctors are decreasing his sedation medications. This means that he will be fully awake later on.
We are very happy about this news and also Omar’s mother seems very happy. She went outside of her room with us to see some other mothers whose children are also in hospital through Shevet Achim.
Let’s thank God for Omar’s good recovery thus far and please pray that it continues. We hope this will be his last surgery.
When I first came to Sheba through Shevet three years ago I met Omar who was then a months old baby who underwent the Glenn operation. He had his previous first surgery when he was around one week old. So today was, God willing, the last chapter in his surgical saga. The procedure had some risks which the surgeon told his mother, but he came out stable and the surgery didn’t have any complications.
It was profoundly meaningful to know Omar and his mother from years ago, and watch him grow up, coming out for catheterizations and check ups, and now through his final surgery.
Please be praying for this wonderful boy as he recovers. What a joy it is to have reached this point.
Today was my first time at Sheba Hospital and I was very excited for the day. First, I went with co-worker Moshe to the Erez border crossing border with Gaza and we picked up little Omar and his mother. We waited for an hour until they crossed the border. Both were very calm and Omar fell asleep on our way to the hospital.
I got many impressions, but all in all, every staff member in the hospital was very nice and I enjoyed meeting everybody, especially Omar and his Mother.
Please pray that Omar and his mother will feel welcome in the hospital, and please pray for wisdom for the doctors’ next steps for little Omar.
Today’s mission was a Gastroenterology appointment. We were seen very quickly by a kind doctor who worked to try and help relieve his symptoms. After a quick but thorough appointment, we went to check on another family in the hospital.
Omar’s mum is really fun and kind and I really enjoyed her company today. She is a beautifully dedicated mum to Omar as well, and truly wants the very best for him. She is going to see her other son and her husband tonight as she returns to Gaza, which she is excited about.
We hope to see them again in the new year for further appointments.
The neurologist graciously assessed Omar early this morning at Sheba Medical Center, before his other patients were scheduled to arrive. Our social worker friend at Sheba was so kind in also joining us for this consultation, greatly helping by translating and providing support to the mother. It is so important for the family to be able to communicate with the doctors and also to understand about their child, so I am incredibly thankful that God orchestrated everything perfectly.
The neurologist confirmed the Gaza doctor’s diagnosis of autism. We also discussed the need for life-long therapy. There are also various tests to investigate if there is anything that could be treated with medication, and also the recommendation of a genetic analysis. The parents of Omar are advocating for further investigation and tests to be performed in Israel, and the organization has decided to pursue this and to perform a genetic analysis.
Please pray for Omar and his mother as they wait. There are many unknown details and we will trust God to provide the strength and resources to be able to support him.
Thankfully he will not need any current heart intervention until his next major procedure in hopefully around six months. Omar will be staying with us in Jaffa for tonight, as he will visit a neurologist tomorrow regarding a potential concern of autism.
The day had finally come for Omar’s surgery! After coming to Israel and finding out he had a virus that delayed the operation, his mum has been anticipating his Glenn procedure for a week and a half. For most of the day, his mum was with the other mother’s in hospital from Gaza, and this is a blessing because they form a supportive community for one another, and go through their children’s heart surgery as a group rather than alone. At one point Omar’s mom, Reem’s mom, Nyaz’s mum, Musa’s father and another mum from Gaza who didn’t come to Sheba through Shevet, were all congregated in the sitting area outside the ICU. They were talking and laughing; I found the level of comfort they found in one another beautiful.
In the last hour before the end of Omar’s surgery, his mum started to get agitated and nervous as it had been a long time since they took him into the operating room. But thankfully a nurse came out and told her the surgery was done, but she still needed to wait. And her joy was shared by Tara and I and also Reem’s mum. The rule is that once the child is taken out of the operating theater to their hospital room, it take about thirty minutes to stabilize them, and for this duration the parents are asked to stay in the waiting room. And while Omar’s mum didn’t actually enter his room while they were stabilizing him, she did get as close as possible to see her son, before going back to the waiting area. She is soft spoken and gentle, but incredibly fierce when it comes to Omar. So tonight we thank God for a successful surgery, and that Omar’s mum can rest knowing her son has had the surgery he needs.