Today coworker Amelie and I drove very early in the morning from our home in Ashdod together with cute little Fayez and his lovely mother, to the Sheba Medical Center.
First we did a blood test.
As always, it was a big fight to get the amount of blood together needed for the test. They collected the blood, drop by drop, and tried different places on Fayez to draw from. At one point, they just pushed the blood out of one finger to collect the droplets. He cried a lot, but still he was very brave.The nurse said afterwards that he is a hero and gave him a bag full of sweets for which he was really happy.
After a long time spent with the blood test, we finally went to Fayez’s echo.
They made also an ECG and measured his oxygen, which was only 75%.
The doctor came and said that Fayez is not doing so well, his Digoxin levels are very low. The doctors will try to treat this in the coming days. This is the reason why Fayez was spontaneously admitted to the hospital.
After the echo, we had to wait a longer time and Fayez used this time to sleep on the floor.
I always enjoy being with him, he is such a smiler.
Added to that, it was very special for me to spend this day with Fayez and his mother, because my first hospital day serving with Shevet, it was with little Fayez that I worked and now he is also my last child to work with. So I started kind of with him my journey in Shevet Achim and also ended it with him.
Let’s pray for this wonderful child, that his condition is now finally going to be better.
Today I drove together with cute little Fayez and his lovely mother early in the morning from our home in Ashdod to Sheba Medical Center for his blood test appointment.
It was nearly the same like one month ago with his last blood test. When we entered the room, he knew exactly what was going to happen and started crying. You could really see and hear how afraid he was and that he hadn’t had good experiences there.
Therefore it was very helpful that his mother gave him comfort and was the whole time, patiently by his side and tried to make him smile again. This time the blood test didn’t work as well as it did the last time. The nurse had to try it five times without success and at the sixth try, it finally worked. Well, this time she also had to save drop by drop. The reason was that his blood flow was not good at all because he had again really thick dark blood. So it took a long time until we saved enough blood for the test. In-between these different tries, he had a few minutes break to calm down and to drink.
He did very well and was brave the whole time.
Afterwards, he was happy again and we played together in the big playground area. We had a lot of fun together and it was really nice to see him laughing again. He is, in general, a very happy boy. At the moment, he learns to walk by himself and it’s really cute to see his little tries and steps.
In one month, he and his mother are coming back for his next echo and then we will also see the outcome of his blood test. Thank you for prayers over Fayez and his family.
Today, coworker Elisabeth and I picked up Fayez and his mother at the Gaza border. We drove together to Sheba Medical Center and waited for a short time until Fayez had his echo,
and had his oxygen levels measured.
The doctor said afterwards, that Fayez’ heart is very weak, that he looks better from the outside than from the inside and that they cannot do catheterizations over and over again. They also want to change his medication, in the hope that this will help him. So he has a blood test scheduled for tomorrow to check on this.
During the waiting time todsay, Fayez loved to play in the playground area and we played hide and seek, which was really funny and he laughed a lot.
After everything was done, I drove with them back to our home in Ashdod, where they are staying with us until tomorrow.
Fayez is very special to me because he was the first child I went with to the hospital during my time here at Shevet. So hope for good test results tomorrow.
This morning we sang during our worship time the song, Give Thanks with these lyrics: “and now let the weak say, I am strong.” God can give Fayez and his heart new strength like nobody else could do! Let’s pray for this little guy, his weak heart and his lovely mother.
Finally back to Gaza; second try
Today, coworker Celina and I drove with cute little Fayez and his mother very early in the morning from our home in Ashdod to the Sheba Medical Center.
We had a second try for his blood test and this time he didn’t get his medicine before.
When they entered the room for the bloodtest, Fayez immediately started crying, screaming and shaking his whole body. He really hates needles, but the nurse was really nice and patient.
The blood was very thick and so they saved drop by drop; this took a little bit.
After that, we drove back to Ashdod again. Two hours later, we got the blood test result and because it was good, Fayez was finally discharged to Gaza.
Fayez is a really cute boy. I love how he is smiles. We had a lot of fun together during their waiting time in Ashdod. Please pray for little Fayez and his lovely mother and for blessings over them.
Today, coworker Joanne and I drove early in the morning with Fayez and his mother to Sheba Medical Center. Fayez needed a blood test.
On our way to the hospital, Fayez was in a very good mood. But as soon as we entered the blood test room, he started crying. It was not very easy to get blood out of Fayez’s veins, so the nurses had to try again and again.
But Fayez was very brave and in the end, he smiled again. Due to bad timing of the blood test and medication, we have to go tomorrow again to Sheba to do a second blood test for Fayez. Until then, they stay with us in Ashdod.
We can pray that the blood test tomorrow morning will go well and fast and that they can return home to Gaza.
Our cute little Fayez is discharged to our home in Ashdod. His heart is still not in a good condition, but for his next surgery he has to be older. So, because he is reacting well to his medication, he is discharged to Ashdod.
Early on Sunday morning, he has to go back to Sheba for a blood test and than he can return home to Gaza.
On our way to Ashdod we had a lot of fun clapping and laughing together to the music.
Please pray for Fayez, that he will be alright until his next surgery. His mother is very worried about him. Let’s pray for blessings for the whole family.
Today, coworker Willem and I went to Sheba Medical Center and visited Fayez. He was just waking up which was really cute to watch.
Fayez’s cardiac condition is not so good at the moment, and that’s why a team of doctors will meet on Sunday and discuss his further treatment. For now he is stable and gets medication that helps him.
Please keep praying for him and his mother.
Today I visited cute Fayez and his lovely mother at Sheba Medical Center.
When I entered their room, he was sleeping peacefully, so I talked a lot with the mother. She was really thankful that I took the time for her, and she showed me many pictures of her family and life back in Gaza.
The doctor said that Fayez is doing well, but his oxygen level is low. He is going to have a catheterization on Tuesday.
Please pray for him and his mother and for the coming catheterization to go well.
Today coworker Amelie and I visited Fayez and his mother at Sheba Medical Center. He is not doing so well and he still has a fever’
At the end of our visit, it was nice to see that he smiled at least a little bit.
His mother tried her best to bring him to laugh and she wants of course the best for him.
The doctor mentioned that they are doing a few blood tests on Fayez to find out if he has an infection in his heart, blood or somewhere else. A cardiologist saw him and his heart function is not very well. So if his heart doesn’t have a relapse, they will do a catheterization.
Please pray for Fayez, and that the doctors will soon find the problem that’s causing his condition.
Coworkers Bria, Joanne, and I went to Erez this morning to pick up Fayez and his mother and bring them to Sheba Medical Center. His mother was in good spirits, but concerned about Fayez’s condition. He was hospitalized in Gaza for twenty days before coming here today.
He shared cookies with all of us while waiting for his echo and ECG.
Once the echo and ECG were completed, the cardiologists decided they wanted Fayez to be hospitalized due to his having been hospitalized in Gaza and previously having a fever.
Joanne and I went down to the ER where Fayez had many tests done. Upon completion, we were sent to one of the wards where Fayez was admitted.
They will continue doing tests to see what has been affecting him. Please be praying that the doctors would have insight into his condition.
Written by Joanne and Hanna
Today, Joanne and I picked up little Fayez at the Erez Border Crossing and brought him to Sheba Medical Center for a check-up. Fayez is a really happy child and he has a big smile.
He had an echo and an ECG. Everything was okay and he will come back in two months for another check-up. After the hospital visit, we brought them back to Gaza. We ask you to pray for a blessing over Fayez and his family.
After the blood test for Fayez at Sheba hospital on Wednesday, both he and his mother had to stay for one more night in our community home in Jaffa, so that Fayez’s mother can learn how to give the Clexane to Fayez correctly. She stayed the last couple of days in our family home and we enjoyed spending time with her, eating dinner together and play with Fayez.
Fayez’ mother was very happy about finally going back to her family in Gaza to her family finally. On our way to the Erez border crossing, cute Fayez slept the whole time.
After a couple of days, doctors at Sheba Medical checked Fayez’ Clexane level again. They found it is okay, but still not where it should be.
We increase the medication now per day, and hope that the result of the next blood test on Wednesday will be good and qualify Fayez for discharge home to Gaza soon. Please pray for this.
Today we got the good news that Fayez can be discharged from Sheba hospital. He has to stay in our Jaffa community home until at least Wednesday.
On Wednesday he will have a blood test at the hospital to see the levels of the Clexane in his blood. After this, the doctor will decide if he can go back to Gaza.
Little Fayez was in a good mood and smiled at me a lot, also his mother was very friendly as always. Let’s pray for a good outcome on Wednesday.
Doing better, but coughing
The attending doctor at Sheba hospital told me today that Fayez is in a very good condition. A blood test indicated there is no infection anymore. Antibiotics have been stopped.
Very recently Fayez started coughing and it’s harder for him to breath. The doctor will check about this. We hope this will not affect his good recovery in any way. Doctors planned to discharge him very soon, so let’s be praying about this.
Diagnostic and interventive cath today
At 10 a.m. this morning, Fayez went in to his catheterization at Sheba Medical Center. His mother was very worried, and spent the time patiently waiting for news of how it went. Although we can’t communicate perfectly, she still wanted to speak with me through a translation application on our cell phones.
The doctors performed a diagnostic and interventive catheterization that helped the function of his heart. Trusting all went well.
Teeth checked before surgery
Fayez’s catheterization admission to Sheba hospital included a stop at the dental clinic, not a normal assignment. The cardiologist wanted Fayez’ teeth to be checked to make sure his cath would be safe tomorrow.
Fayez is about one and a half years old which means he is in between the second and third step surgeries. His cath tomorrow is diagnostic and might also be therapeutic to place a stent in his heart.
Fayez is a frequent patient at Sheba, so everyone knows this lovely boy. They have done an incredible job of caring for him through his whole life. I looked back at his blog and it starts on June 10th of 2020. He has grown so much since then, and it has been a special thing to see him grow.
Please keep praying for his life as he waits for another procedure tomorrow.
Admitted for catheterization tomorrow
Fayez and his mother are old friends with Shevet. When we talked on the phone, his mom asked me if I remembered her and of course we did. Fayez was diagnosed with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome, he was returned to Gaza in January and now is coming back for a catheterization.
It was not clear if there was permission for his mom to enter Israel, or just for his grandmother; a chaperone is required for each child arriving to Israel. Due to this uncertainty, Fayez’ mother began calling me again and again, it was challenging.
I thought to myself I need to be more patient, All those calls reflect the stress of her situation, she is about to take her child to a foreign country for a treatment and still does not know if she will be allowed to come with him or not- any mom would be stressed in this situation. It also made me appreciate the work of Amar who is under constant pressure from day and night calls for much of the time.
We arrived at Sheba hospital, and things calmed down. We found some food for Fayez and his chaperone while we waited for their room to be prepared. Fayez was admitted to Sheba and the cath is scheduled for tomorrow.
Happy to see the little gentleman again
When Co-worker Sebastian brought the three families from our Jerusalem Guest House to Sheba Hospital this morning for an Echo-cardiogram, they included the cheerful gentleman Fayez and his mother.
His friendly mum greeted me happily and I was also very pleased to see them both again after about a month. Little gentleman Fayez and his mother were one of the first families I met when I came to serve with Shevet Achim at the end of October. It was lovely to see them again today and our little gentleman has grown a lot in that month. He is growing into a big gentleman and still has the same happy smile.
Today he had to come into hospital for an Echo-cardiogram which he wasn’t happy about of course, from which it became clear that he may need a Catheterization.
In order for the doctors to make a decision on whether a Catheterization is needed for him, they would like to do another Echo-cardiogram in about three weeks. Today, I was allowed to bring the little gentleman and his friendly mum back to the border crossing with Gaza.
A successful Catheterization
Fayez’ catheterisation was postponed this week due to a very long surgery. Today, however he headed into the cath lab in the care of the medical team of Sheba Medical Center, to dilate the stent placed in his last surgery.
Mum was quite worried about this procedure, more worried than I have seen her even for his big surgeries.
It was lovely to spend time with his mum during the three hour wait while Fayez he was in the procedure, and we admired all the decorations and snacks for Hanukkah!
Finally he emerged from the procedure. The doctor explained that it was completely successful, and was very pleased that they had decided to go ahead with it, as there had been a lot of stenosis.
Fayez woke up hungry, and he is recovering well now in the newly re-opened Intermediate Cardiac Unit.
Another catheterization on the horizon
Fayez needs to have another catheterisation later on this week! So the medical team have decided that it’s best for him to remain at the hospital until then. Mum is a little disappointed to remain in the hospital, but as always she has accepted the news in a good spirit, always wanting the best for Fayez.
Thank you for continuing in your prayer support for little Fayez.
The happy "mini-gentleman"
Fayez, the happy mini-gentleman, had to go to the hospital to have his eye checked today. It has been a little infected and we wanted to make sure it wouldn’t affect safety during surgery.
The mother of Fayez administered some eye drops, and the doctor assured her it won’t be a problem for his upcoming surgery.
Thank you for your prayers to cover this little one.
Making ready for Glenn surgery
Fayez went into his Catheterization at Sheba Medical Center today. It was diagnostic and interventional Catheterization. They were able to see that he is ready for the Glenn surgery which will hopefully happen in the next few weeks.
Fayez’s mother called various family members as we waited for his cath to finish. This reminded me of last summer when he had his Norwood operation. She would call her relatives and introduce me to them; speaking Arabic over the phone with shoddy reception always makes for an interesting, yet fun time.
For the first few hours after his cath, Fayez was stable. However, this evening, his mother called to say that there have been subsequent complications. Please pray for him as these complications are resolved.
Fayez had an echocardiogram today in the heart clinic of Sheba Medical Center. As he traveled in his hospital bed, it was a reminder of just how small and precious he truly is. Praise God, his heart is showing improvement.
He still needs to transition from mechanical feeding to drinking milk independently. We continue to pray that he would grow. His mother’s heart is very beautiful. Though she is tired and yearning to return to her other children, she is willing to stay in the hospital so that Fayez can receive the best care possible. Fayez is precious to her, to us, to God.
At the Sheba Medical Center today, Fayez’s mother and I celebrated together as the mechanical ventilation machine was wheeled away from his room. The doctors did not think it was necessary for the machine to be in the room anymore.
He was extubated yesterday, but still receiving a moderate amount of oxygen support. Today, he was completely removed from oxygen support. His mother seemed to be full of hope as she saw the improvement.
Please continue to pray for Fayez, as he will have a check of his head to make sure there is no serious complication; there is some concern that his soft spot is larger than normal.
Fighting against an infection
Fayez has an infection throughout his body, called sepsis. This is causing many blood imbalances. He is receiving antibiotics, and we are praying that he will be able to recover from this. He is relatively stable now, but the surgeons cannot perform his first surgery until he no longer has the infection.
Please pray for his mother as well, as she is recovering from delivering her beloved son Fayez. She misses her two other sons in Gaza as well.
A six-week wait for surgery
We thank the Lord that we found Fayez stable in the ICU today. The doctors are waiting for his surgery to be scheduled until after he finishes six weeks of antibiotic treatments due to a virus.
And thankfully, we found the mom was doing well. However, it is difficult for her to be away from her family with two other kids at home and them having a difficult situation. Please pray for this sweet little boy and his family. May God give them grace and provision during this time and keep them under the shadow of His mighty wings. He is able and He can do it.
Yesterday a new baby from Gaza arrived urgently to Sheba Medical Center by ambulance. We welcomed new little Fayez to Israel! And when we write “new” we mean that this little boy is just eight days old.
When we looked for him, he was heading straight for a CT Scan together with a big group of nurses and doctors, as they needed to figure out some specific information about his condition.
In principle, Fayez has a difficult illness called Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. Children with this diagnosis are also called “the blue babies.” So you can see, it is a very difficult heart defect in which the functions of the heart are quite limited.
We are praying for a good and life-improving stay for Fayez in Israel.