Mariam will finally be returning to Gaza, hopefully to be reunited with her twin sister. Today Mariam had an Echocardiogram appointment at Sheba Medical Center.
The doctor was happy with her progress and cleared her to return to Gaza for around six weeks. She will then return for a follow-up appointment. Mariam has a long journey ahead of her, and we know God will be with her every step of the way.
We will miss beautiful Mariam and her lovely aunt at our halfway house in Jaffa. Her aunt has been so kind to others and has also been diligently caring for little Mariam. Please pray for their return to Gaza as they will enter a three-week mandatory quarantine upon their arrival.
Baby Mariam was discharged to the Shevet half-way house on the Jaffa coast today!
After today’s Echo-cardiogram and a chest x-ray, the doctors saw that her condition has much improved. She’s a really sweet baby and her aunt, who has taken so much initiative in sacrificing on Mariam’s behalf, was looking forward to coming to stay with us in Jaffa.
It has been a long stay for Mariam in the hospital, as her surgery was just over a month ago and she has been in recovery ever since. Praise God that she is well enough now to be discharged!
Hopefully she will have a good Echo-cardiogram next week and then be able to go home to Gaza where her mom and twin await her!
Tiny Mariam was asleep when we arrived today; her aunt asked if she should wake her up for our visit. The nurse and I both quickly answered, “NEVER wake a sleeping baby unless it’s absolutely necessary!” So, although Mariam was unaware of our visit, her aunt received us warmly.
Mariam’s aunt was obviously quite involved and happy with her progress. Although Mariam had fever recently and is on antibiotics to fight an infection, her breathing is stable on just one liter of oxygen by nasal cannula. She is taking formula by bottle every few hours, mostly fed by aunt.
We expect soon to hear that Mariam is being moved to the secondary ICU as she slowly and steadily recovers.
Please pray with us that Mariam will continue to do well, and that her aunt will be encouraged.
Today at Sheba Medical Center, co-worker Debi and I sat with Mariam’s Aunt for some time whose joy was evident. Little Mariam had her chest closed – five days after surgery! Thank God for this step in her recovery.
I am looking forward to seeing Mariam in person hopefully soon. For now, the ICU is forbidding us to enter due to COVID restrictions. Once she is transferred out, we will finally meet this beautiful girl in person.
Please keep praying for Mariam, for her continued improvement.
Please keep praying for her as she begins to recover after this major operation. Her aunt accompanying her, has been welcomed into the fellowship of Palestinian moms forming at our halfway house in Jaffa. They give each other support and share a bit of their lives and times together, while in the context of this comfortable, albeit temporary, home together.
Mariam is almost two weeks old now. When she was eight days old, the doctors discovered a heart murmur which led to the diagnosis of a congenital heart defect.
Praise God she arrived safely to Sheba. Her heart is incredibly complex, with the diagnosis of Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. She is currently relying on a medication called Prostaglandin to keep her alive until surgical intervention.
The cardiologists hope for a Norwood procedure this week. Please pray for Mariam and her family as they start this journey of healing. We look forward to welcoming her and to meeting her.