A family eager to see him
Abdullah’s echocardiogram went very well today! The doctor found no pericardial effusion and as a result could wean him off the medicine which controls this.
Today, he was able to return to Gaza where he will have a week in quarantine and then be reunited with his family eager to see him.
It is always special to see one of the children, whose surgery you were present for, be discharged to go home.
Please pray for him as he is still awaiting his second surgery, may God protect his life. We look forward to seeing how this sweet boy has grown in four months when, God willing, he will be ready for the next procedure.
Emergency surgery on Yom Kippur Eve
This morning Abdullah was rushed in for surgery on the eve of Yom Kippur after the doctors saw he couldn’t wait due to his desaturating to oxygen levels in the 50’s. Luzma and I met his lovely aunt and waited with her throughout the four hour procedure. She shared the family dynamics of their home back in Gaza, proudly showing us photos of her nieces and nephews and the adventures they’ve gone on.
Abdullah is one of seven and is the second boy. Though he isn’t here with either parent, his mum and dad back home were calling every half hour to see if there was news for their boy. Finally, Abdullah was brought from the operating room, and his auntie was crying tears of relief, she immediately was on the phone with his family telling them the news.
Thank God for his arrival just in time, his aunt expressed both her thankfulness and happiness that from the ambulance transport to his arrival at the hospital Abdullah was so well treated and taken care of. Please pray for him as his body adjusts after surgery, and that his recovery will be without any complications.
To Israel on the eve of Yom Kippur
Abdullah is the seventh child born to a policeman in the Gaza Strip. His parents noticed he was blue after birth, but only when they took him for his first immunizations at the age of 12 days did doctors realize Abdullah was born with heart defects. He was rushed to the ICU of the local hospital where emergency support was started until he could be transferred to Israel.
Thank God, Israel’s largest hospital the Sheba Medical Center made a place for Abdullah–despite the challenges of the coronavirus–and we transferred him there by ICU ambulance on Friday afternoon, just before the start of the new lockdown in Israel before the long Yom Kippur weekend:
After examining Abdullah’s heart, doctors in Israel confirmed he has single ventricle physiology, and will need three surgeries over the next two years to allow him to live and grow. Abdullah is currently stable and awaiting surgery the morning after Yom Kippur, unless his situation deteriorates over the holiday.