Mohammed and his mother came to Sheba Hospital today to make another echo and a stress test for Mohammed. Because he’s already 17 years old, it’s easier for us to be with him on an echo day because he and his mother are very independent.
Both his echo and the stress test went well. His doctors noted in his report that Mohammed should come to Sheba for an evaluation by a pulmonary physician. Basically he needs a follow up appointment in about three months. Until then, he will return home.
After a long and exhausting day, Doro took a snapshot of his wonderful smile as they brought him back to the Gaza border. We thank the Lord that Mohammed could have all his necessary appointments today and that everything was good.
Finding out more about the arm problems
When we went to the neurological appointment at Sheba Hospital today, we wanted to understand Mohammed’s arm problems better. It’s difficult for him to stretch the arm completely and therefore the doctors did a CT a few weeks ago.
Today the doctor reported that they couldn’t find anything abnormal. For this reason, the arm problems should be treated by an orthopedist in the future.
After the appointment was finished for today, we sat down in the waiting area for some time. There, Mohammed took care solicitously of a little girl and shared his food with her.
After that we all went back to the Gaza-border. Please pray for Mohammed, that doctors are able to fix his arm problems in the future.
Mohammed was already experienced with the echo and ECG, which were scheduled this morning for him at Sheba Medical Center. You could see it wasn’t the first time that he had gone through this procedure. Thank God there weren’t any remarkable abnormalities, and the procedure was completed quickly.
Mohammed, his mother, coworker Luisa and I listened more excitedly to the results of the brain CT last week. We all hoped for answers for the cause of Mohammed’s hand problems. Unfortunately, the results did not provide any answers. Please pray for Mohammed that we can find out the causes soon and the doctors can bring an improvement.
After the appointment at Sheba and a short stop at our staff house in Ashdod, we made our way to the Gaza border. We will pick up Mohammed from there in three months for further appointments.
Looking forward to seeing you again, Mohammed.
Today we picked up 16 year old Mohammed from Gaza and brought him to his CT appointment at Sheba Hospital. We arrived there a bit early so we had to stay in the waiting room for a while. Coworker Luisa and I just arrived at Shevet Achim so we took the time to practice our Arabic with Mohammed’s mother.
Mohammed was very calm during his scan so we could leave the hospital without any problems. He and his mother will stay at our guest house for a few days until his Echo on Sunday and we look forward to practicing some more Arabic with them.
Please join us in prayer for Mohammed and his mother, that they will have a nice stay here in Ashdod and that his next appointment will go well.
Today Mohammed had a pulmonary test at Sheba Hospital for which it was a challenge getting there. Several road closures were in place due to the President of the United States being in Israel.
Mohammed showed low results in the function test; the doctor was trying to measure the strength of the muscles he used to take in deep breaths.
Jonathan helped us today with this appointment after the test and was very helpful speaking beforehand with Mohammed’s mother; Jonathan asked after a few details about Mohammed that he knew the doctor probably would ask.
Mohammed will have a follow-up appointment soon. For now, he will stay with us for at least one week in our Ashdod community home. He needs more pulmonary testing, a CT scan and another pulmonary appointment with the specialist to decide which is the best treatment for him.
I had the pleasure of picking up Mohammed and his mother at Erez this morning for a brain CT scan at Sheba Medical Centre. This was my third appointment with Mohammed, and we have become well acquainted. We were eager to snap another photo together while waiting for his CT.
When Mohammed was only 20 days old, he received a life-saving heart surgery. Now at the age of sixteen, he has been experiencing some shortness of breath and motor functioning impairment. The cardiologists at Sheba ran a stress test for him last week and found his blood saturation decreased exponentially the more he exerted himself. A neurologist we saw two weeks ago recommended this brain CT in the hopes it would help clarify what could be going on.
After the scan, evening had well arrived. Though Erez was technically closed by the time we pulled up to the border, they were still able cross and return home. Mohammed has been willing and brave through these appointments and we are praying the doctors quickly and accurately pin down the cause of his symptoms. We pray the brain CT scan reveals new insights.
Mohammed and his mother have returned home to Gaza today after an appointment at Sheba with the cardiologist. He ran a stress test with Mohammed to see what his oxygen saturation levels would be under physical exertion. His mother was concerned because she has noticed he has shortness of breath on staircases. The tests were physically demanding for Mohammed and he struggled with his oxygen exponentially as each task continued overtime, so the doctor referred him to the pulmonologist for an appointment mid-July. This, as well as his scheduled CT scan in a week, should provide some more clarity.
While staying in the family home this weekend, Mohammed made himself very helpful, running errands for the other mothers and helping play with the children. He is quietly attentive and gentle with the little ones around him, including Shevie! Please pray for Mohammed as he waits to return to Israel. Pray that God would bring answers and progress in the coming appointments.
Neurologist appointment today
Mohammed arrived from Gaza today for an appointment with the Neurologist at Sheba over concerns that he is experiencing problems with his brain functioning. The doctor asked Mohammed to execute some simple physical tests in his office, most of which he completed with ease. The most challenging task was standing up onto his feet from a seated position on the floor. The doctor recommended Mohammed get a CT scan for a more complete evaluation. His CT is yet to be scheduled, but he does have some more tests this Sunday.
This was my first time meeting Mohammed, and it was a pleasure to spend the day with him. The wait for Mohammed’s appointment was long, but it allowed us time to bond. Both of us had a similar haircut and were wearing all black, so his mother took a photo of us together. Both he and his mother were incredibly patient while we navigated the hospital and waited in the lobby. We are excited to be hosting them at the family home in Ashdod again while they wait for the CT.
Please be in prayer as we wait for answers from the doctors regarding Mohammed’s motor skills. He has already overcome many challenges related to his heart, so we pray God will continue paving his way toward complete health.
Today, coworker Lilly and I picked up Mohammed and his mother from the Erez Crossing point. Together we drove to the Sheba Medical Center for Moammed’s echo appointment.
I went together with them first to the ECG and they measured also his oxygen level, which was very good. Afterwards, we had to wait a long time, because the whole echo area was full with children also waiting for their appointment. Finally, we were called into the echo room.
The doctor said that Moammed’s heart looked good so far, but Mohammed was complaining that he feels very weak, if he has to stand up for example. So they can’t find a reason for that from what they see on the echo. That’s the reason why he is coming back in one month to do a stress/exercise test to find maybe the reason and to see how the lungs and the heart are working together. Added to that, he has some neurological problems. A Neurologist wants to check Mohammed also in around one month. So we are going to see him soon again. We brought them back to Gaza.
Thank you for prayers over Mohammed and his family.
Good heart but not feeling well
Today we picked up Mohammed and his mother from The Erez Border Crossing, to bring Mohammed to Sheba Hospital for a follow-up appointment.
The doctor was very friendly and took a lot of time to examine him. Through the ECG, Echo and X-ray, the doctor said everything is okay in his opinion and he is content with Mohammed’s Condition, which is by the way, the same condition as Mohammed’s last check-up.
The only problem is that Mohammed is complaining about not feeling well and often being very tired. The doctor could not find the reason for this and will discuss Mohammed’s case on Wednesday at the meeting with the other cardiologists. The next examination will be in three months if the doctor decides nothing else on Wednesday.
Again, I‘m always grateful and impressed by how much the doctors care for every single child in Sheba Hospital. During Mohammed’s appointment for example, at one point, there were three doctors in the room to talk about the result of Mohammed’s echo.
Please pray that the doctors discover the reason for Mohammed’s complaints.
Mohammed A.T. returns for an echo
Mohammed came to Sheba hospital for an echo one month after his catheterization; he had surgery when he was a baby, and the therapeutic cath last month was to aid in his heart function. Seeing a sixteen year old who came for surgery as a baby, is really cool but also strange because it makes me think of the babies I’ve known here at Shevet Achim. In sixteen years time, perhaps some of these babies will return and a Shevet staff member will meet them and hear their story. Thank God the echo was good and Mohammed will return in a few months for a follow-up!
Mohammed and his mother traveled back home to Gaza today. There were additional things the staff hoped to do during his hospitalization, but he and his mother were very set on leaving, so they will complete the other tests in Gaza. Waiting for them at home is Mohammed’s ten other siblings!
Before they left, Mohammed’s mother wanted to take a photo. By departure time, the hospital report and the car that would take them to Gaza were perfectly timed, and the picture was taken sometime during the chaos in between. It really was wonderful to meet this lovely family.
A successful catheterization
Sixteen year old Mohammed had an interventional catheterization today at Sheba hospital. The procedure took about three and a half hours. During this time, I met his lovely mother. She told me that he has previously had two open heart surgeries, and will need another one. The hope of this cath was also in part to see if Mohammed is ready for the third operation.
What really struck me was that this vibrant sixteen year old had his first surgery with Shevet when he was two days old! I thought of all the babies we’ve known who’ve had surgeries in their first days of life, and it is crazy to picture them sixteen years in the future. It was a moment where you zoom out, and see the scope of their lives which are changed sometimes dramatically because of these surgeries, but it’s especially palpable when their first surgeries are in their infanthood and they walk through our doors sixteen years later.
The catheter was long, but it went very well according to the doctors. They were able to place a stent in his heart, and saw that there is still time needed before his third surgery. It is also wonderful to think that people from Shevet were praying for the infant sixteen years ago, so let us continue to pray for this young man as he grows.
Catheterization for Mohammed tomorrow
Co-worker Carina and I collected Mohammed and his lovely mother from the Gaza Strip this morning and brought them to Sheba Medical Center where a catheterization is scheduled for him tomorrow.
A room was made ready for Mohammed right away which was very convenient for all. After Mohammed had his Echo and his ECG, Carina went to the X-ray area with them while I was assiged another task in the hospital today.
When I was finished with my errand, I thought we would still have to wait for Mohammed’s room to be prepared, but Carina texted me that Mohammed was getting admitted to his room right at that moment. That was very nice and one of the quickest admissions into the hospital that I’ve seen since coming to work with Shevet.
Please pray for wisdom for the doctors overseeing Mohammed’s catheterization tomorrow, and for strength for his mother during the waiting time.
Mohammed is a young man of 16 years, from Gaza. Today, he and his mother left the Gaza Strip to come to Sheba Medical Centre for an assessment.
He received a diagnosis of Truncus Arteriosis as a young child, and has had previous surgery. Now he has grown up. The Gazan doctors’ assessment suggests that the conduit which was placed previously, appears to be now too small for him, and they would like him to be considered for surgery.
In his echo today, the cardiologist decided that Mohammed would benefit from a catheterisation. He therefore will wait at home in Gaza until the date has been scheduled, hopefully in the coming few weeks.