Today I went to Sheba hospital with the idea that I would translate and help Aurfa and mom get a drainage in her lung to treat the fluid that she’s been retaining for several weeks now.
Last night I translated for Aurfa’s mom as to what the drainage procedure was going to look like and that Aurfa needed to fast until today. We went together to have Aurfa’s X-ray and ultrasound needed before the procedure. Then we went up to the room again and when we found the doctor who had great news for us.
Aurfa was not going to have the drainage put in as the fluid had decreased, and they saw that there was just a little fluid remaining. I hope you can feel, like me, the relief and joy after hearing this wonderful news. Aurfa’s mom was also very, very happy about it.
Aurfa was hungry because of the fasting, so they ate a little and we played for some time while mom went to pray.
Doctors will speak about the best direction to treat the fluid. They mentioned treating it with Fusid, which is not preferred as there is some evidence Aurfa’s kidney’s don’t react well to it. They may use a tube to drain the fluid.
Despite the lung fluid, Aurfa was in a very good mood today and even recognized me and didn’t think I was a doctor or a nurse. She was very talkative and I enjoyed it a lot to hear her lovely voice and her funny sounds.
Please keep praying for Aurfa; her mother is quite worried.
Clinically Aurfa looks very good. Fluid build-up in her lungs is being treated with medicine and her echo looks great. But in her lung x-ray, there is evidence of pneumonia. Also before she is released, a surgeon must review the scar of her surgery site.
Aurfa is receiving antibiotics and we pray she will be improving enough to come to our community home in Jaffa next week. Aurfa has a very fun personality and she continues to be her wonderful self in the midst of treatment in the hospital. Her mum is truly lovely even though she is very stressed for her girl.
Please pray for her mum as well, for peace of mind and to not be overwhelmed, but to be strong of heart.
The top of Aurfa’s incision site from surgery had opened slightly, requiring her to undergo a small “surgery” in which they re-closed it with a single suture. After this she had an x-ray. If I hadn’t been with them through the day, I wouldn’t have known how much they had been through. Both Aurfa and her mom handled it with strength and patience. We are praying that the incision site heals well.
Today day was supposed to be a day trip to Jerusalem with Aurfa and her mum, but her mother, coworker Julio, and I were concerned that Aurfa looked quite ill, so we decided it would be better to stay at the community house and keep an eye on her.
Aurfa is on a medication that causes swelling, but it was decreased, and her swelling had become worse overnight. She also has been receiving antibiotics for an infection in her surgery scar.
At our community home, I wanted to take Aurfa’s temperature and vital signs. She had no fever but her oxygen was 80% when it should be 100%. This unexplained drop in oxygen required Aurfa to be taken to the ER.
To treat this, doctors wanted to restart her on a medication that would help her body get rid of the fluid. This is treatable thank God, and her mum, after being so scared, was so glad to hear that this problem wasn’t life-threatening. We were told that while there is fluid in her lungs, the pericardial effusion did not return along with it.
Aurfa has been admitted to Sheba hospital for observation and further treatment. Please be praying for her; I know God was watching over Aurfa today, right down to the smallest detail.
When Co-worker Bria and I went to see little Aurfa and her lovely mother today at Sheba hospital, and told Aurfa’s mother that Aurfa is going to be discharged tday, she was extremely happy about it and she had a bright smile on her face. We are very happy as well that she is finally being discharged to our community home in Jaffa, since Aurfa had some difficulties with her recovery after her surgery.
Aurfa doesn’t like the hospital and thinks that everyone who is coming to see her there is either a nurse or a doctor and wants to do some kind of assessment for her. So it is a really nice break for Aurfa that she is back with us now and already a changed girl, smiling and happy.
She is doing really well now and is supposed to go back to the hospital cardiology department in one week for follow-up and in two weeks more, she needs to see the neurologist. One of her vocal chords is paralyzed which causes difficulties with talking, but the doctor said it’s just going to take time for Aurfa to figure out how to use her voice in a different way than she did before, and since she loved talking before, it’s probably not going to take her a long time to adjust.
But your prayers for Aurfa’s transition are much appreciated. Please also pray that both Aurfa and her mom have a nice time back at our community home and with the other families.
Today, some co-workers and I went to Sheba hospital. It was a very productive day. I was able to pray for several children in the hospital. Their stories touched me, especially that of one of our little Kurdish girls in hospital, named Aurfa.
After Aurfa’s surgery, she was intubated for several days, and her vocal cords were somehow affected. Doctors were planning to do an MRI on her as well, because she wasn’t moving her arms and legs either. But what’s amazing is, these days, she has started to move! Her mother tells us that she has already said two words!
When we visited Aurfa, she took some steps by herself. Of course, her mother and we were very happy to see Aurfa’s progress. We thanked God.
Doctors are considering a test to look more closely at Aurfa’s mouth cords. So, let’s keep her in our prayers.
The doctor examined Aurfa‘s nose with a little camera which she didn‘t like and cried. It was very shocking for her mother to see Aurfa‘s reaction, but the doctor was very nice and explained that this does not hurt, but is just uncomfortable for Aurfa.
The doctor discovered in his examination that her vocal chords are not working properly and she would like to see Aurfa again after some time to decide how to treat it.
Please pray for the healing of Aurfa’s throat.
Often after visiting them at Sheba hospital, and it’s time for me to leave, I honestly wish I could spend the whole day with them. They are treasured and much loved.
After her surgery yesterday, the staff extubated Aurfa, but due to swollen tissue in her throat, she could not breathe well. She was re-intubated and given some medicine to help relax the area. God willing, they will be able to extubate her tomorrow so that she can breathe on her own afterwards.
This morning in Sheba hospital, the surgery of Aurfa began at 8:30 am. Aurfa’s mother was very worried. Both she and Aurfa were in tears. Aurfa played with the phone in order to calm down. Aurfa’s doctor told us beforehand that today’s surgery would be a very complicated one and could take a lot of time to complete.
While we waited, it was an up and down of feelings. Sometimes we laughed, and sometimes Aurfa’s mother cried. We were happy about some visits by other volunteers or from other Kurdish moms who were also in the department. Although I’ve yet to learn Arabic, Hebrew and Kurdish, I still feel as though I spent a valuable time today, and learned that communication is not only about speaking.
After about five hours of surgery, we were told everything went well. Thank God! Aurfa’s mom asked the doctor specific questions about Aurfa’s condition, and showed a lot of interest. Now, Aurfa is in the ICU with her mother.
Please pray for a good recovery for Aurfa and for peace for her mother, because everything is yet new for her.
The cardiology team need to meet and discuss her surgery plan, and until the time of the surgery, she is to return to our community home in Jaffa. She has to re-enter her quarantine room at our home with one other Kurdish mother and baby.
This was a surprise for Aurfa’s mother, but she was very pleased that her daughter was admitted to the hospital, as she has been so worried about her only daughter.
This morning, co-worker Julio and I had the privilege of collecting the lovely Aurfa and her mother from the Ben Gurion Airport, after they had traveled with two other Kurdish families from northern Iraq to receive life-saving heart treatment here in Israel.
God provided everything needed at the airport in his perfect way, as it was very easy to find each other. We are very happy to welcome this little girl and her mother.
We brought them to our community home in Jaffa where they have to quarantine for the next two weeks. Aurfa’s first appointment at Sheba is tomorrow morning. We are very excited for them being here and are looking forward to getting to know them better after they have finished their quarantine.
Please pray for their acclamation process, as many things are new for them.