Early this morning Rifan was scheduled for a CT at Sheba Hospital. Because of this, she and her mother came already yesterday from Gaza to our house in Ashdod to spend the night here. Yesterday afternoon we took them and a couple of other families from Kurdistan and Gaza who were staying in our house, to the beach. It was so great seeing the kids having so much fun in the ocean and the mothers enjoying their time together. Normally kids coming from Gaza don’t have the opportunity to see much of Israel since they’re only coming for one day most likely. Because of that, Rifan’s mother was even more happy to be able to go to the beach. And especially Rifan had a lot of fun. It didn’t take long until she was completely wet and surrounded by water and sand. We had a great time together and I’m so glad that they had a nice time with us before their appointment this morning.
After waiting for a couple of hours at the hospital, Rifan was finally called into the CT room. From then on everything went pretty fast. Even so, it was only a CT scan, yet Rifan’s mother was really worried and said that she wanted to be with her daughter. After reassuring her that Rifan was in good hands, we waited together patiently until the scan was done. We still had to wait with Rifan for a while since she needed to be observed for one hour after the CT, but once the nurse told us that we could leave, Rifan’s mother directly went to buy some food for Rifan. Coworker Faye and I later returned Rifan and her mother to the Gaza border. Hopefully we’ll have the results from the CT scan soon and news about whether everything is fine with Rifan.
Rifan and her mother were collected from the Erez Border Crossing with Gaza and were brought to Sheba Hospital for Rifan’s follow-up echo. It took a while for the doctor to finish the echo because Rifan cried a lot and wouldn’t hold still. We had to hold her arms and legs for the doctor even to be able to do the echo. Thank God Rifan is doing well and her heart looks fine. She still has a really bad cough however, which is why she has an appointment in May for a pulmonology follow-up at Sheba.
It was really great seeing Rifan and her mother again. They’re both really lovely. While waiting for some other things, Rifan’s mother met some of the other mothers in hospital whom she is friends with. But Rifan wasn’t in such a good mood today and began crying over and over again. Gladly, the day went pretty fast and it didn’t take long until we were on our way back to the Gaza border again.
For a long time, Rifan had been wheezing and there was hardly any overall improvement of this condition. The doctor determined the reason for this was pressure on the left bronchos. Other than that, he was pleased with Rifan’s current situation for now. How great that this doctor reacted so quickly and without further ado, organized an appointment with a pulmonologist on the same day.
It was a long and challenging day for Rifan, during which she cried again and again. The best medicine was a call from her “Baba” and having good food. Those two things calmed her down a bit. May God bless Rifan until we welcome her back to Israel in a month.
When I came to Rifan’s room at Sheba Hospital today, she seemed very well after she was under anesthesia yesterday. She obviously missed her father because she always said “Baba.” The doctor confirmed that Rifan’s health was improving after having a virus.
Yesterday, the doctors did a CT scan and found a coarctation. First they want to wait until Rifan’s condition improves. Then they will work out a treatment plan together with the cardiologists. It will probably result in catheterization or surgery.
May the Lord bless Rifan and give wisdom to the doctors in their decisions.
Today cute Rifan turned one year old in Sheba Hospital! The day didn’t bring such good news for her and her mom though as the doctors discovered in the CT that the coarctation of Rifan’s aorta is so severe, they have to do a surgery; a cath won’t be enough.
Rifan’s mom was very worried and started crying, but the nurses told us that she should not be so concerned as Rifan is doing okay right now and the surgery won’t be so dangerous.
Please pray for Rifan and her mom as they are waiting for a surgery day now.
Today my Coworker Joanne and I picked up Rifan at Erez Crossing point and brought them to Sheba Medical Center. She had an Echo and an ECG today. For now she is doing pretty okay and has to come for an echo in three months. Rifan is a very cute little Girl and I really enjoyed the time with her today. Please pray for blessing and protection for this little girl.
After the appointment we brought them back to Gaza. We will see her in three months again for Rifan’s next check up. Please pray for Rifan and her family and that the fluid and the infection will be cleared up the next time we see her.
During my visit, a nurse came into the room and told me that Rifan is doing really well overall and that her amount of medicine is getting decreased a bit. Praise the Lord. This is really good news. They also wanted to try to give her milk today via mouth rather than nasal tube, at least to begin this transition.
Rifan’s mother was smiling a lot today. It is always really interesting to see how much the happiness of the parent is dependent on the health circumstance of their child. For example, when I asked Rifan’s mother how she was doing, she said better because her beloved daughter Rifan is doing better, and that if Rifan is not doing well, then she, Rifan’s mother, is also not doing well.
Please pray for ongoing healing for baby Rifan and for peace for Rifan’s mother in every situation.
Rifan is still receiving oxygen support however, it is hoped that she will recover even more in the next days, and extubation can be attempted again.
Rifan’s mom was really sweet and also joined us later outside in the waiting area with other mothers.
Please pray for further improvement.
Rifan was placed back on mechanical ventilation over the weekend, and her doctors saw that one side of Rifan’s diaphragm was paralyzed; today they took her into a short procedure to correct that. She will be recovering for sometime before they try extubation again. Thank you for your continued prayers for her life.
We ask for your prayers for tomorrow. That Gods healing hand is on this child.
I got to know the mother a little today, she is very kind. We bless this mother in this difficult time.
Appreciating Sheba and thanking God.