Ahmad's Heart Surgery

Gaza Strip

Temporary Pacemaker

Posted on Tue, 11/06/2007 - 00:00 by Autumn_Ridley

Ahmad has had his second operation and is doing well. I couldn't believe today how good he looked. His lips and tongue were so pink and his fingernails were white. As I observed Ahmad and the nurse taking blood from him I could see how tired and worried Ahmad's mother was. She couldn't understand why there were so many things attached to her son. They are having to drain fluid from his lungs and she was very unhappy to see this. They also have an external pacemaker attached to Ahmad and she was worried that he would have a pacemaker the rest of his life. I spoke to Dr. Alona and she explained to me that they will keep this external pacemaker on him for two more weeks, and then they will disconnect this from him. They have placed this on him just for backup in case of an emergency. She told me that the type of surgery Ahmad had didn't effect the part of the heart that he would need a pacemaker, and not to worry--that he will not need one long-term. Once I translated this to Ahmad's mother, she was very happy and all I could see was a big smile on her face. She is so concerned for him and is always asking questions. The next few weeks are still going to be very difficult for Ahmad and his mother. They still haven't closed his chest and they are draining a lot of fluid on his lungs. Let's continue to pray for Ahmad and his mother.

Second Surgery Today

Posted on Sun, 11/04/2007 - 00:00 by Lee_Liang_Chian

Ahmad had his second surgery today. He was in the operating room for the duration of my visit at Wolfson, so I could not see him. But I was able to snap the above photo of Ahmad's mother waiting during his surgery. To her right is the mother of Tara, a baby from Iraq who is waiting for her second surgery.

Oxygen Levels Improving

Posted on Thu, 11/01/2007 - 00:00 by Autumn_Ridley

What a happy camper Ahmad's mother was today. The first thing she told me was that Ahmad's oxygen levels had increased and that his fever was gone. After she spoke those words a huge smile came to her face. She has been very worried for her son the past few days but, thank God, he is doing better today. She also told me that the doctors told her that on Sunday Ahmad will undergo his second operation. She knows that this one will be the most difficult one but she is ready for it, I believe. After hearing the good news, LC decided to take all of the mothers to the computer room to let them view the updates that we have posted.

For some from Gaza, this was the first time they had ever viewed our website and seen the blogs. They were so pleased and happy to see their loved ones on the Internet and to know that so many people care and are praying for them. Please keep Ahmad's mother in your prayers. She was having a good day today but she still needs strength.

After Five Weeks, Finally Surgery

Posted on Wed, 10/31/2007 - 00:00 by Autumn_Ridley

The waiting is finally over. Ahmad has been at the hospital for 5 weeks before he had his surgery on Monday. The hospital would set up a surgery date and then something would come and they would have to postpone the surgery. His mother became very frustrated and tired and wanted to return to Gaza.

This past Sunday was suppose to be his actual first surgery but they delayed the surgery until Monday. When I spoke to Ahmad's mother she told me that on Monday if there is no surgery she will return to Gaza. So Monday evening I called her and she told me that Ahmad had his surgery. She was very pleased and happy that the journey for her had truly started. When I visited Ahmad and Um ("mother of") Ahmad yesterday he was doing well. He had a bit of a temperature and he was sedated. They want to keep him sedated because even though he has a heart problem he is still pretty hyper and active.

Today when I visited Um Ahmad I could tell that she was very concerned for Ahmad. His oxygen levels dropped during the night and she was concerned with all of the tubes that are everywhere. I spoke with one of the doctor's in ICU to give me an update on Ahmad. The doctor said for the first surgery he is doing well. The oxygen level might drop even more before he has his next surgery because the first surgery didn't have anything to do with the oxygen level it was just to bend on the pulmonary artery and get the blood flowing a bit. The doctor said that Ahmad will have another surgery but they aren't sure when. The doctor's will have a meeting tomorrow to discuss Ahmad's case and what are the next steps for him.

Please keep Um Ahmad and Ahmad in your prayers. Um Ahmad is becoming very tired and she needs her strength to be able to cope with the next few weeks or so.