Ahmed's Heart Surgery

Kurdistan, northern Iraq

Still needs $10000
Help Ahmed

Good-bye, "Xwa Hafis"!

Posted on Mon, 10/08/2018 - 05:04 by Julius Barguil

We had two little Ahmed's at the same time! It was easy to identify this one because his dad shaved his head during their stay with us. We had a few moments of difficulty with his dad, but we overcome the situations with love and respect. The rest of the time we were able to share lots of good moments till the last day of Ahmed's dad swimming with Adam.

After been in Jerusalem and having a great farewell party was time to say good bay to little Ahmed. We had a small delay at the airport, but things worked out for good and the end.

Ahmed's dad was thankful for all the help, care and service he and his little son were able to get here.

We hope Ahmed Mohamed will grow and get stronger from his big heart operation.

Ahmed is Going Home!

Posted on Wed, 10/03/2018 - 14:20 by Malene Stoltenberg

Today was a very exciting day – it was possible the last echo for Ahmed for this period. Ahmed’s father was very exited about going home, so it was a very important echo for him. When arriving to Sheba we got a surprisingly message – no appointment was scheduled for Ahmed today! Ahmed’s father was very sad about the situation, so Coby tried to ask for another appointment and I sent a small prayer up. Fortunately, the secretary had just written the wrong number and soon we were ready for the echo – praise the Lord!

Little Ahmed didn’t like having the echo, but his father tried his best to keep him going with funny faces and lots of milk! Still waiting for the results we also went for an ECG and little Ahmed was so hungry that we needed to ask the nice staff for extra milk.

Finally, the doctor arrived, but she still wanted to do an extra echo herself to be sure – Ahmed’s father was very tense until the doctor finally said: “You can go back to Kurdistan now!”. He almost did a jump of happiness and was very pleased. The doctor afterwards deepened that Ahmed’s lifeline now is the shunt made by the doctors and he just need to stay on medicine and to be monitored in Kurdistan until he is strong enough to get the final, big surgery in Israel again in one year. Praise the Lord!

Please pray for a safe journey home and pray that Ahmed’s shunt will stay open for the next year until he is ready for the big operation.


Expectations Clash with Reality

Posted on Sun, 09/16/2018 - 00:27 by Deborah Burke

“Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning.” Psalm 30:5

For the past few days Ahmed's father has been anxiously, even impatiently, enquiring about his son's next echocardiograph appointment. This morning we finally received word that Ahmed's appointment was for today. Ahmed’s father was the first to the front door and was enthusiastically helpful in organising everyone else into the van. We discovered later that he had neglected to organise food for himself and enough milk for his son, possibly indicating his expectations that we would be home very soon. Anyway, around 11am our van departed from Jaffa headquarters loaded with both of our Ahmed's and their carers, house nurse and driver, Sophie, plus co-workers Diana and Magda, and myself.

After arriving at Sheba Hospital we fortunately didn’t have to wait very long to be called for the echocardiograph but even 30 minutes was too long for Ahmed's father. He is a very chatty and warm character though who was happy to proudly show photos of his 3 other children, and share some stories of his life in Kurdistan in our usual stumbling mode of communication between languages foreign to each of us.

When it was Ahmed's turn for the echocardiograph his father was racing down the hall. The echocardiograph results were good and the doctor said that after one more echo in 2 weeks Ahmed could go home to Kurdistan. Ahmed's father tried to argue the case that his son was OK to go now but the doctor reiterated that it is not the right time. He did not wish to accept this and appeared quite deflated, physically isolating himself from the group for a period of time.

About 45 minutes later Ahmed had his ECG which was conducted by the very sweet long-term volunteer at Sheba. The volunteer was born in Iran and speaks Farsi so was able to converse with Ahmed's father as Kurdish and Farsi are similar. This interaction  seemed to buoy Ahmed's father. Meanwhile little Ahmed was becoming quite distressed at this time because he was hungry. This impacted on his oxygen reading which at that time didn't register any more than 81% saturation. The volunteer kindly organised some milk after which she re-conducted the assessment. Ahmed's oxygen saturation then reached a better reading of 87%. She too reiterated another 2 week wait but Ahmed's father continued to be in denial as reality tried to break through.

As we left the hospital a number of Kurdish speaking people approached our little group and Ahmed's father's spirits again seemed to lift and were sustained until we reached home. Thankfully little Ahmed's dose of milk drugged him back to sleep.

Please keep this father and son in your prayers, and specifically that the father will lay aside his impatience and somewhat unrealistic expectations, and devote the next 2 weeks to loving his son with a deep compassion just as our heavenly Father loves all of His little children.

Back to the Shevet House

Posted on Sun, 09/09/2018 - 23:27 by Adam Iversen
Ahmed’s situation is now stable, and the doctors say he is ready to go home to Shevet Achim. Praise the Lord for that! We had a good visit at the Sheba hospital with Ahmed’s father and he was in a good mood especially after we bought him some amenities. He was very thankful and in a very good spirit today as well. Ahmed got a lot of milk and rested in the hospital bed. The staff at the hospital were nice to give us the needed information. Ahmed will have a review in about one week by an echo.
We praise the Lord for the healing what He has given and continue to pray for further recovery!

Cath Day

Posted on Tue, 09/04/2018 - 23:54 by Lisa Smith

We were able to visit with Ahmed’s father while waiting for the doctors to complete Ahmed’s catheterization. Praise the Lord Ahmed’s procedure went very well today! Ahmed’s father was in very good spirits today when we arrived at Sheba; however, there was an obvious appearance of relief when the nurse came to us with the news that Ahmed’s procedure was complete. The nurses were busy changing the linens and helping to settle Ahmed while we were visiting.


Posted on Tue, 08/28/2018 - 23:39 by Johanna Ebert

Unfortunately Ahmed’s catheterisation, which was scheduled for today, couldn’t happen. Ahmed got an inflammation on his central line what made a surgical procedure too dangerous for him. 

They started to treat him with antibiotics and we hope he can recover quickly, that the doctors are able to continue their treatment for his heart. It’s been very difficult news for Ahmed’s dad, who hoped he could go back to Kurdistan soon. Please pray for him, that he has the patience and strength to stay longer with his little son at the hospital and we also want to bring Ahmed for God and ask for healing!


Posted on Sun, 08/26/2018 - 02:59 by Jennifer Kellner

As the sun rose Friday morning, Ahmed arrived in Israel. As he is being kept alive on Prostaglandin, he was rushed straight from the airport to the hospital by ambulance. It was amazing to witness so many people work together to make this happen. The team at Shevet worked to arrange an ambulance to pick up Ahmed at the tarmac while a really wonderful Kurdish doctor escorted this baby and father from Iraq all the way to Sheba hospital. It was an exhausting and stressful trip for them, though thankfully successful

We arrived at the hospital to find Ahmed in the care of the doctors who so generously enveloped this new child with great care. He was stable enough to wait a few days for surgery, so the doctor performed an echo to confirm his diagnosis and prepare for surgery in the days to come. Please keep praying for this sweet boy!

Hanging on by a Thread

Posted on Mon, 08/06/2018 - 01:24 by jonathan

Ahmed was born July 16, and is only living by the oxygen he receives through a tiny ductus that normally closes after birth. We've arranged to get him a supply of the lifesaving medication prostaglandin until he can reach Israel for reparative surgery, God willing.