Ahmed's Heart Surgery

northern Iraq

Hope Deferred

Posted on Sun, 11/14/2010 - 00:00 by Donna_West

Before Suhail, Jenn and I left for Wolfson Hospital this morning we called to be sure Ahmed's surgery was still on the schedule. We were informed it was scheduled second, but that they could not give us a time for the operation because it was impossible to know how long the first surgery would last. Upon arriving I phoned the nurses station once more and they told me Ahmed would go to surgery at noon. When I mentioned the time was almost 12:30 PM we both just laughed and said, "See you soon." We rushed to the cafeteria to get a quick bite to eat (since we knew Ahmed and his mother would be fasting) and returned shortly to disappointing news at the nurses station: the surgery had been canceled - again.

Ahmed's mother was in tears, but Ahmed was joyfully having lunch and heading for the playroom. It had to feel like an emotional roller coaster ride for her. The first surgery was still ongoing and Dr. Sasson was not going to do a second surgery after the current one today. Our Hebrew-Kurdish speaking friends, Mazal and her husband, quickly arrived and went straight for the nurses station to get all the details from the staff in Hebrew so they could consol and explain the details to Ahmed's mother. Although I knew the details in English, I could only sense the mood of the Kurdish conversation and I sensed this: hope deferred. Proverbs 13:12 says, "Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but when the desire comes, it is a tree of life." As you can see we now have two patients with sick hearts, Ahmed AND his mother. Please pray that the tree of life will spring forth from the good seed we have planted in prayer for this mother and son. We plan to return to Wolfson early in the morning for Ahmed's rescheduled surgery.

Ahmed Invited to Wolfson for Sunday Surgery

Posted on Sat, 11/13/2010 - 00:00 by Mary_Dailey

Wolfson Hospital called Friday afternoon around 4:00 p.m. to invite Ahmed to the hospital on Saturday evening for Sunday morning surgery. It's like a repeat from last week, when we brought Ahmed to the hospital on Saturday evening for a Sunday surgery that was cancelled. When we took him to the hospital this time were told that his would be the second surgery on Sunday and to make sure he ate his breakfast no later than 5:30 a.m. We called Ilan, our Jewish-Kurdish friend in Tel Aviv, and he translated to Ahmed's mother the things she needed to know.

His mother was stressed last week, but this week she seemed much calmer. I believe it's because of all the prayer's going up to God for her to feel His peace. Tomorrow Donna and Jennifer will be with them during the surgery. Please pray that there will be no cancelation this time and that the same peace we saw this evening on his mother will remain present. Also pray that Ahmeds open-heart surgery will go well. Thank you for your prayers.

Ahmed's Surgery Postponed

Posted on Sun, 11/07/2010 - 00:00 by ryan

Ahmed and his mother woke this morning at Wolfson Hospital fully expecting that today his operation would be performed. Last night his admission process went well, and the Shevet team was prepared this morning to travel to Wolfson to be with mother and son on the important day.

Unfortunately, as can happen in the medical field, an unforeseen emergency jostled the surgical schedule. The team of doctors that was planning to operate on Ahmed this morning was needed for another case, and Ahmed did not have his surgery. And there is no open slot in the coming days either. So, he and his mother came back to Jerusalem tonight to be with the other families, and will remain on standby for the next available operation.

Ahmed Playful on the Eve of Surgery

Posted on Sat, 11/06/2010 - 00:00 by Donna_West

Ahmed left the Shevet House joyfully this evening for Wolfson Hospital. The playfulness he exhibited was contagious among the team: he played hide and seek, and modeled pajamas too big for his waist and too short for his legs. The laughter and joy didn't quite spill over to Ahmed's mother, though. She maintained an expression of serious concern throughout the evening. When the time drew near to draw blood, Achmed had a normal fear of needles, although he thought the numbing agent on his hands and arm was pretty interesting to play with.

Mother and son are resting tonight. His pre-surgical fasting begins at 6 AM tomorrow. He is slated for the second surgery of the day, beginning sometime in the afternoon. Please pray for the family during this time of fear and vulnerability. Yes, we will be at their side, but most importantly we need the presence of God. He is the peace-giver.

Click to send an e-mail message to Ahmed and his mother.

Ahmed's First Day at Hospital in Israel

Posted on Wed, 10/20/2010 - 00:00 by Mary_Dailey

Ahmed had his first hospital appointment in Israel today. When he first got here Sunday he was very afraid and uncomfortable, but has adjusted quite well since than. Donna, Gadi and I took Ahmed to the Wolfson Medical Center and he did not seem nervous at all. It was a good thing that the medical staff were friendly and Ahmed was not scared of them because he ended up having three doctors and/or technicians taking care of him during his echo. He was very good and lay very still without moving at all. The staff told us Ahmed has a big hole in his heart but it should not be complicated to repair in surgery.

After the echo we went for lunch. Ahmed didn't want to eat and his mother called his father in Iraq on the phone and he talked to him which seemed to cheer him up and he ate his lunch.

Please pray for Ahmed and his mother. She does look as if she's a little troubled. Pray that the Lord will give his mother peace that her son will be o.k.

An Overwhelming Journey for Ahmed

Posted on Sun, 10/17/2010 - 00:00 by Jonathan Miles

What is a seven-year-old boy from a small village in Kurdistan to make of all he has seen and heard in the last two days?

Yesterday Ahmed and his mother boarded an airplane for the first time and flew to Jordan, and today we drove to the Jordan River crossing into Israel.

By the time we reached Jerusalem this evening Ahmed was afraid to enter the Shevet Achim house and cried outside for quite a while before he was coaxed inside. His mother called back home so that Ahmed could speak to his father, but Ahmed refused to take the phone.

Tonight Ahmed is resting alongside his mother. Please pray with us that he will find comfort and peace soon for his sensitive spirit, as well as the healing for his heart which has brought him to Israel.