Bako's Heart Surgery

Kurdistan, northern Iraq

Still needs $5400
Help Bako

Bako is Going Home!

Posted on Sun, 10/21/2018 - 17:56 by Julius Barguil

We have been waiting weeks for this great news!

When Bako and his mother arrived from Kurdistan in August, his condition was bleak. After having 2 surgeries and spending so many weeks in the ICU, he was finally allowed to continue his recovery at our Shevet home. Today we had another echo exam, and the doctors checked his heart and lungs. Then came the great news: Bako is well enough to travel back home to Kurdistan! He must wait a couple days more and finish the inhalation treatment before the final green light.

I was praying during his exams today, asking the Father to take care of this little one and him Mum who is very tired from this long process. But today she was really happy with the news! Praise the Lord! Please continue to pray for this mother and son as they enjoy their final days in Israel. 

We want to thank all of you for your prayers and support for Bako and his family. We are now preparing a farewell celebration for them.


Posted on Mon, 10/15/2018 - 14:29 by Co-authored

Johanna and I went to the hospital with Bako and his mum. First it took us some time to find the doctor, because she was in a different area than usual. When we finally managed to find the doctor, we still had to wait for around an hour until we could be seen. During that time Bako and his mum both were really patient and waited until it was their turn. The doctor called someone that was able to translate everything for Bako's mum into Arabic. She asked her some questions about Bako's condition and examinated him. It was good news; his lungs did improve and she told us that Bako's breathing sounds are because of a problem with his upper respiration tract. Sometimes babies with heart problems have these difficulties and the doctor is optimistic that it will normalize by itself. To hear the good news took a heavy burden from Bako‘s mum and she started to smile.

In one week Bako has another appointment with his cardiologist, who will check also his lungs again. God willing will he be ready to go back to Kurdistan soon. On our way back from the hospital we listened to worship songs and praised God for the wonderful day with Bako and his mum.

Written by: Johanna Ebert and Magda Ott

Making Good Progress!

Posted on Mon, 10/08/2018 - 21:16 by Robyn Stuart

Coby and I took two little boys with us today to the hospital for appointments. Bako was there for a routine echo on his heart and the house nurses also wanted their concerns about his recently developed noisey breathing, assesed. His vital signs and EKG were all very good. Bako's mum was all smiles when the doctor told her Bako's heart is adjusting well to the changes it underwent in surgery and that he was good to wait 2 more weeks for one more echo.

She listened to his chest and checked his oxygen levels. All were good and she gave us the explanation that the noisey breathing was more in Bako's throat than in his chest area. She added a steroid medicine to his ventalin dosage to relieve the labouring he has as he breaths. Driving home Bako slept soundly and his mum relaxed beside him. With a weight off her mind about her precious son we pray she can now rest and wait peacefully until she can return home to loved ones. Thank our Heavenly Father with us for a good report for Bako today. 

Echo and ER

Posted on Wed, 10/03/2018 - 14:45 by Sophie Harvie

Bako had an unexpected echo today at Sheba following his recent discharge from hospital. God knows best and this hospital visit came at a good time for Bako.

For the past few days at home Bako has been sounding congested and as a team today felt like the right time to consult the medical team. Our first stop was Cardiology. Bako's echo was very positive and the doctor reported that his progress is very good following surgery. 

After the echo we had a trip to the Emergency Room in order to seek help for Bako's chest. Oddly, it felt very lovely and somewhat like a family event as we waited initially to be seen. Gabi, Varin, Bako and their mothers sat with Georgia and I eating pita breads and chatting nicely.

The doctors and nurses, despite being very busy this afternoon were incredibly kind to us. The doctor advised us that Bako needs to have an inhaler daily to help his chest recover. 

Please pray for Bako's lungs, that they would be free from congestion and that he can breathe freely and fully from now on. Pray for his mother to know the peace of Jesus at this time.

Finally at Shevet

Posted on Thu, 09/27/2018 - 22:33 by Noa Ehehalt

Today we picked up Bako and his mother from the hospital.  Bako's mother was very happy to leave the hospital today and was excited to go to shevet. Bako looks very lovely and much better. Praise the Lord! Please pray for his mother to settle in with the other mums and please pray for Bako´s heart. He will go back to the hospital next week for the echo.

Waiting Expectantly

Posted on Sun, 09/23/2018 - 21:55 by Jennifer Kellner

Psalm 5:3 "In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly."

Last time we saw Bako, he was in the primary ICU receiving oxygen through a nasal cannula. Today, we were very happy to find him in the secondary ICU next to Varin and her mom, with his nasal tube removed. Bako's oxygen saturation was at 100%, praise the Lord!

While there were few doctors and nurses around with the holidays, we were able to gather from Bako's mom that his heart is good but he is currently fighting an infection. We pray for strength over his small frame and for his sweet mother, who has been at the hospital since day one in Israel. It seems that Bako is on the brink of recovery but is just not quite there yet. We lift him up to the Father to restore him to full health ahead.


Posted on Mon, 09/10/2018 - 23:55 by Kimberly Kidd

Bako still needs assistance with his breathing, possibly due to fluid in his lungs. Mom was very concerned and anxious for the echo to be completed and to find out if there is fluid buildup that is causing the difficulty with breathing. She is vey worried about his heart, but the echo was completed around 3pm and the results were good. His mother was very relieved. Praise the Lord!

Answered Prayer

Posted on Wed, 09/05/2018 - 23:45 by Georgia Willcocks
Thank you for praying for little Bako. Today, when we visited him, it was a delight to see that he has been extubated. Mum was back in high spirits and cradling his head in her hand as he drifted in and out of sleep. She says he is having a little bit of milk orally, with some NG top ups. She has been excited to tell Bako's dad that he is improving now.
This lovely lady has a big heart, she is so caring and thoughtful for the other families. We are looking forward to when Bako is well enough to be discharged and come home to Shevet. He hasn't been here yet, as had to go immediately to the hospital when he arrived at the airport. Keep them in your prayers! 

In Need of Some Encouragement

Posted on Sun, 09/02/2018 - 22:58 by Georgia Willcocks
Noa and I visited Bako today in the hospital. His mother is usually so cheery, but today, her demeanour had changed and she greeted us with sadness. She shared that, whilst she had been so happy that Bako had been extubated at the start of the weekend, yesterday, Bako was intubated again. The nurse explained that Bako was not able to tolerate the extubation so quickly after his surgery and his oxygen levels had fallen.
Bako also had to be moved up to a different intensive care unit. Preparing tiny Bako for this move took the work of a team of 4 or 5 of these dedicated and hard working specialist nurses. His bed was full of screens and cables, as we followed the nurses pushing him to the different ward. We met another Kurdish mum on the way, and, of course, she joined us in the lift and we stayed all together, waiting for Bako to be settled into his new room. Please lift this lovely mum and Bako up in your prayers. 

Second Surgery

Posted on Tue, 08/28/2018 - 00:10 by Jennifer Kellner

Today we arrived bright and early to the hospital for Bako's second surgery. We found out it had been moved to later in the day but still went in to see Bako. He barely moved his little body but his eyes gazed around the room curiously, as if he wondered, "Where am I?" He is correct in thinking this but it is clear that he is in great hands at Sheba hospital.

For four long hours, his mother waited nervously and made many calls to Bako's father and siblings. They were similarly waiting anxiously for Bako to come out of surgery. To pass some of the time, his mother showed me photos of their family and I learned all of the names. They all seem wonderful and it was good to hear more of the family rooting for this baby back at home. Finally, the surgeon came out and reported that all went well with his switch surgery. 
There was a great sigh of relief in the room and his mother was so happy! We are thankful for the medical team and God's favor over Bako this past week. What a journey he has been through in just his first few months of life! We hope and pray for a successful recovery ahead.