Hemin's Heart Surgery


Hemin and Mom Return to Iraq

Posted on Sat, 01/17/2009 - 06:45 by Dirk

How would God deal with these four problems?

* Lost airplane ticket

* Empty oxygen bottles

* Problem with the van  

* Lack of time

The last leg of the journey for Alaa, Hemin, Elaf and Wahaj was a real adventure.

Hemin and his mother had been waiting at our house for three days for their return flight and they were a little bored. However, once Wednesday came and they were joined by the other three Iraqi families there was no time for boredom.

We were all very happy to be able to host Elaf, Wahaj, Alaa and their mothers here again. So, the night was filled with talking, praising God, sorting out things, looking at pictures and a little sleep. All the time Alaa s oxygen generator was humming in the background.

The return flight was scheduled for 1 PM and we knew we would need the morning hours to get out list of things completed. One of the mothers had lost her return ticket, so we had to rush to Amman to get a new one at the Iraqi airways office. Also, Alaa had used up almost all of her supply of oxygen on the way, so we needed to get a refill for her.

We tried to start the day early, but our van would not start, despite the fact that we had just received it back from the garage two days before. It took us awhile to get it started by pushing and rolling it down the hill. Fortunately, Dirk was still there and could help with this procedure.

While Dirk drove off to Amman with the old van, Manuela tried to get a new supply of oxygen at the Italian hospital in Karak. We found the man who usually takes care of refilling oxygen tanks for the hospital, but the connectors to these oxygen tanks would not fit the tank that Alaa had brought over from Israel. This man was able to give Manuela the address and phone number of the company in Amman where we could get the oxygen bottle refilled. Praise God! 

Praise God also for the new Shevet van that we received a day earlier. This additional van allowed Manuela to take the remaining three patients to the airport. Alaa had just enough oxygen in her bottle to get to the airport.

As Manuela drove the patients to the airport, Dirks was in Amman battling time. It can take hours in the city to get from point A to point B. Dirk reached the Iraqi airways office an hour later than anticipated. He managed to secure a new ticket, but still had to find an oxygen refill for Alaa.

Manuela reached the airport in time. She was able to inform the Iraqi Airway officials about the oxygen generator, and show him Alaas medical report, which clears her to fly.

Once all of these things were completed Alaas oxygen bottle was almost empty. Manulea had already begun searching for a power outlet to connect the oxygen generator to.

Because all of the luggage was in Dirks van and he had not yet arrived, we were unable to proceed with the check-in process. The next two hours were very stressful for Manuela and the three mothers that were waiting with her.

Dirk was attempting to rush through Amman to try and find the company that provides the oxygen. Forty-five minutes before the fight was scheduled to leave Dirk picked up the oxygen and began to make his way back to the airport.

Dirk reached the airport at 1 PM, the scheduled time of departure for this flight. The Iraqi Airway official understandably became more and more impatient.

Eventually, he left and two friendly airport assistants waited with the mothers. We had considered taking all of the patients and mothers back home and have them fly with the next flight three days later, but we prayed against this option.

The Iraqi mothers and Hemin spent most of the time on the phone with their relatives at home explaining to them the situation. Consequently, in the midst of the chaos, Dirk was receiving calls from nervous fathers in Iraq asking him to hurry up.

In the end, the flight left an hour late because they waited for our group of mothers. Thank you Lord and thank you Iraqi Airways for this grace!

Quickly, the empty oxygen bottle was replaced with the full one. Without time to say goodbye, the mothers were escorted away with the airport assistants.

We would like to ask Gods blessing on them. God is waiting for them in the same way the plane waited for them. Even though their departure was delayed, they did arrive home safely and in good health!

Commended To God's Protection

Posted on Mon, 01/12/2009 - 00:00 by

In the cold, clear Jerusalem morning we all stood around Hemin and his mother as Simantov commended them to God's protection and blessing as they set out back to Jordan and home to Iraq today. It was good to surround this young man who goes back with many impressions, experiences and new friends in Israel, both at Shevet and the Schneider hospital.

Pray that Hemin's voice will become stronger in the coming weeks. The hoarseness he still experiences is sometimes a side effect of the intubation, but the doctor told him yesterday it quite common and will resolve.

Hemin Leaving Israel with a Renewed Heart

Posted on Sun, 01/11/2009 - 00:00 by Dorothy_Finlay

Dr. Birk of Schneider was very happy with Hemin's final echo today and said his surgery was 100 percent successful and he was free to return to Iraq
with his mother. We praise the Lord for the blessing of a renewed healed heart and continue to pray for Hemin as he prepares to leave us in Jerusalem and return via Jordan Monday morning.

Click to send an e-mail message to Hemin and his mother.


Leaving Beautiful Schneider A New Man

Posted on Sun, 01/04/2009 - 00:00 by Dorothy_Finlay
Hemin and his mother left the beautiful Schneider hospital this afternoon following extremely successful heart surgery, all accomplished in five days.
His doctor told him that her only orders were to eat and eat and eat to put on weight. Since waking up he has only craved 'home cooking.' Now back in Jerusalem tonight, the mothers of the other children are happy to provide him all he wants.

God has been so gracious to this young man and after an echocardiogram next Sunday he may well be able to return to Iraq. The happy faces of Hemin and his mother are reflected in the good-bye photo above with a Schneider doctor, and in the hugs and kisses from his mother which smothered the breath out of us! Pray that these days of quiet rest before returning home will bring us opportunities to share the good news of God's love with him so that his inner heart can be changed as well.

Music and Food Cheer Hemin

Posted on Fri, 01/02/2009 - 00:00 by Dorothy_Finlay
At last we made it visit Hemin and his mother in Schneider Hospital today. We found them in a side room isolated from others due to a stomach bug which
had attacked him. He looked very serious until we began to sing some Arabic choruses eg." Rejoice in the Lord always" and he and his mother broke out in smiles and clapping.

It was good to have Jonathan with us. We were able to meet the cry from Hemin's heart for home cooking as the ladies in Jerusalem had fried cauliflower and we bought some chicken kebabs and he enjoyed a great meal- all cold by choice!! I talked with the staff in the department and the news is good. He is possibly for discharge on Sunday but this needs to be confirmed. Please remember to pray that this temporary sickness will go and he will indeed be able to join us in Jeruslaem in a day or two.

Eating Fruit a Day After Surgery

Posted on Tue, 12/30/2008 - 00:00 by Dorothy_Finlay
What a transformation! Hemin opened one eye today and gave me a weak grin. He was resting and while still needing intravenous medications was able to sit up and walk to the nearby bathroom. I saw his mother by his bed with a plate of fruit and asked the doctor if he really was allowed to eat oranges and apples, and the reply came back, "Let him eat what he likes!" You can imagine his mother's delight. She told me that last night she had slept well beside him, secure in the knowledge that he was doing well.

Continue to pray that he will make the expected full recovery and soon be moved to the main ward. In a phone conversation with his uncle in Iraq, I was able to assure them that God was caring for Hemin and watching over their family and that Yeshua's love was what touched him.

A "Very Good" Surgery; Mother Ecstatic

Posted on Mon, 12/29/2008 - 00:00 by Dorothy_Finlay

This morning at 8 am Hemin went to the operating room for his life-changing heart surgery. He was back in the Schneider Children's Intensive Care Unit by early afternoon, and when I talked with the charge doctor there she said he had a very good surgery and they were pleased with his progress. By tonight (6-8 hours post-surgery) they expect to extubate him and have him breathing on his own, controlling his own pain relief and well on the way to recovery.

Hemin's mother was so ecstatic that she was kissing and hugging everyone in sight and praising God for his safe return to the ICU. When she saw him, she was so thrilled despite the tubes and drains and monitors, and understood that he was doing well.

Please pray for this young man that these early post-surgical days will go well and that soon he will return to the open ward. We are so grateful for the
Lord's grace shown to him and his mother.

To Surgery in the Morning

Posted on Sun, 12/28/2008 - 00:00 by Dorothy_Finlay

After keen disappointment last week, unexpectedly this morning Hemin was invited to Schneider Hospital for surgery to repair his heart tomorrow morning at 7am Monday 29th. He and his mother hurried to be ready this afternoon when Simantov arrived back in Jerusalem to take him to be admitted. Hemin's mother is very stressed at the thought of surgery so please pray for the Lord's peace to descend on her and for the surgery to go well.

Hemin is a young man with 'attitude'; he has cut his curly black hair, straightened it and put wet gel on to give himself the latest 'in' look. With a new heart he will be set to make a difference to his world in Iraq. May he sense the power of Yeshua and his love enfolding him tonight as he sleeps.

Looking Forward to His New Heart

Posted on Wed, 12/24/2008 - 00:00 by Dorothy_Finlay

Armed with his hair straightener, wet gel and camera, Hemin and his mother left Jerusalem this morning expecting for him to be admitted to Schneider
Children's hospital in Petah Tikvah. En route the message came that his operation was postponed due to an urgent operation. However, neither seemed worried and enjoyed looking around the hospital as they waited for Rasan to have his appointment.

Hemin is an intelligent young man who is looking forward to the benefits his new heart will give him. Please pray that there will be no further delays and his operation will soon be rescheduled.

Hemin Can Indeed Have Surgery

Posted on Thu, 12/18/2008 - 00:00 by Dorothy_Finlay

Today was Hemin's big day as he and his mother went to Schneider Children's hospital in Petah Tikvah for an echo assessment and the confirmation whether his serious heart condition was operable. The very pleasant cardiologist took her time to conclude after thorough examination that he indeed was treatable and a time could be arranged for surgery within the next 10 days.

Hemin's face, which has worn a sad and worried frown since he arrived, burst into a delightful smile as the news dawned that Dr. Birk was able to offer surgery with likelihood of 100% success. The news was relayed to Kurdistan with great delight.
Please pray for all the provision and logistics to come together to enable Hemin to receive a new healed heart. Tonight he is reading a comic version of the story of Yeshua and we pray that he will grow in understanding God's great love to him .
"Before they call I will answer them." Partner with us in supporting this tall, intelligent young man to a new life both physical and spiritual.