Mohammed's Heart Surgery

Kurdistan, northern Iraq

Still needs $5500
Help Mohammed

Saying Goodbye to Mohammed

Posted on Sun, 05/27/2018 - 14:43 by Jesse Tilman

Our little strong man Mohammed has gone home to Kurdistan. After a little over a month here and a surgery that was performed after only a short time, he spent a couple weeks recovering and was healed up enough to return.

His condition of Tetralogy of Fallot was overcome and healed to where his oxygen levels were closer to normal. As active as he is, he's going to need all the oxygen he can get! He will hardly sit still, but is grabbing and pulling on any restraining hands to go and check things out. Feeling his arms they are solid like an athletes muscled limbs, barely like a child's!

His surgery, though once postponed, did take place and was a complete repair. We have the highest of hopes for his future and believe he can live a full, healthy life. As he heads back to mother and father, we're glad to praise the Lord for another healed heart.

During Mohammed's time in Israel, he and his grandmother got to visit Jerusalem. The Mount of Olives, the Garden Tomb, Al-Aqsa Mosque, and of course shopping were the main events of the day.

His grandmother is so patient and sweet, she was helping others out the whole time.

She mentioned also that she could sense the nearness to God that the Holy City is full of. I'm sure God has specially touched this dear family.

At their farewell party they accepted the gifts with grace. Mohammed just wanted to play with the fun stuff and ignore the socks and clothes, but his grandmother worked them into his attention too. We'll miss the little guy. We trust the love and care shown to them will bear further spiritual fruit in the future:

And when they had seen it, they made known abroad the saying which was told them concerning this child. And all they that heard it wondered at those things which were told them. But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart. And [they] returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen, as it was told unto them. Luke 2


Final Echo!

Posted on Wed, 05/23/2018 - 18:20 by Esther Vine

Victorious report for today! Mohammad and his mum had an early start this morning, making for the hospital at eight AM. It was a sticky ride to Sheba as the harsh Israeli summer has already kicked in over the weekend. A car full of hot and already tired families and volunteers finally arrived and made their way into the building to wait to see the doctors. Mohammad’s echo went very well, concluding that he is healthy enough to return home to Kurdistan. It has been such a blessing to have a smooth journey with this little boy and to watch God nurture and heal him. Mohammad and his mum will probably leave this week to be reunited with the rest of their family in Kurdistan.

Echo Day

Posted on Tue, 05/15/2018 - 21:39 by Johanna Ebert

We have good news from the doctor today! Mohammed’s echo showed very good results, his heart works properly. The doctor is confident that the next echo can be the last echo for Mohammed. Mohammed’s mum was so happy to hear it. She immediately started to call the family back at Kurdistan to spread the good news.

Mohammed however was not so happy with the following examination, he cried as much as he could during the very harmless ECG, oxygen and saturation and weight check. But the nurses were very patient with him and distracted him with bursting bubbles.


Posted on Mon, 04/30/2018 - 23:53 by Maxine Stuart

The ICU at Sheba hospital is almost half full with Shevet children at the moment! It has been an interesting day going from room to room juggling everyone’s needs. I was able to get a good report on all the children as I arrived, and was happy to hear that Mohammed was just extubated. This is a positive step as his body comes out of sedation and begins to function by itself. As I was visiting the others, I saw a few nurses and doctors enter Mohammed’s room, so I went to have a look. They reported that Mohammed’s Sinus Node was firing it’s electrical signals at a slower rate than normal, so they quickly  hooked him up to an external pacemaker.

They  were not worried and expected improvement. Because Mohammed prefers only his mother’s affection, he cries and squirms a lot whenever anyone else comes near, so it was a tough job calming him down. He did eventually calm down enough for my Dad and I to pray for him. His mother was very appreciative. We were able to get some information for her on his feeding schedule, and explain that the staff were still waiting on some bacterial infection results. I am glad the families have each other when we cannot be there at the hospital, and that they have the Sheba ICU team that so calmly, and swiftly responds to each change in condition.

Surgery for ToF

Posted on Sun, 04/29/2018 - 16:51 by Sophie Harvie

Today I was able to spend most of the day with Mohammed's mum as he went in for his surgery. When I first arrived at Sheba, Mohammed was very unsettled and his mum was doing a great job at trying to keep him happy. 

There came the inevitable point when mum had to hand over Mohammed to the nurse as he was carried off to the operating theatre.  It was such an emotional moment and it almost felt like for that few seconds all the air had been taken from the room. It made me reflect on how precious it is to be a child of God, to know the security of the Father's arms around you and to know his grip is never loosened.

A long wait followed for Mohammed's mum in  the ICU. After some time praying together we enjoyed showing one another pictures from home. My Kurdish repertoire remains limited at the moment so as we talked about the photos everything was either  "beautiful" or "very good!"

Later this afternoon we were joined by a relative of Mohammed's from Israel who was able to interpret Hebrew to Kurdish for mum as  the doctor shared the news that the surgery had gone very well. Mohammed underwent a complete repair of his ToF, along with VSD closure and PA repair. We left Mohammed's family in good spirits this evening, Mohammed remains in the ICU.

Home Again

Posted on Thu, 04/26/2018 - 20:32 by Maxine Stuart

Little Mohammed's surgery ended up having to wait until next week, actually because little Daryan needed to take his spot. Mohammed had been waiting a few days to have his surgery, but with the ICU so full, and emergency cases that kept emerging, the doctors decided it was best to send Mohammed home for the weekend, and then bring him back in time for his surgery on Sunday.

While waiting, his Mum got to speak to the surgeon about the surgery plans. The team are optimistic and said it is a common surgery that they do, and chances of complications are very minimal. We are looking forward to having Mohammed back at the house.

Admitted for Surgery

Posted on Tue, 04/24/2018 - 21:23 by Jesse Tilman

"For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for? But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it. Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities..." Romans 8:24-26

Cute Mohammed is now admitted and ready for surgery tomorrow. They hope to take care of his heart problems with one surgery.

He hasn't been here long, but is already going in for his operation. At the hospital we spoke with a battery of staff asking similar questions and getting to know him and his mother. They took it well and are on their way to a productive hospital stay.
Mohammed's mom connected with Havi's mom who can translate for them with her Arabic and beginning English. They spoke in Mohammed's room for a little while after the nurses had finished their procedures. 
We look forward to a healed heart for Mohammed! He was a great kid today and made some friends from the staff.


Posted on Tue, 04/17/2018 - 23:12 by Sophia Vogt
After his arrival yesterday, little Mohammed has been already at the hospital for an echo today. He's a one year old very active little boy.
The appointment for him was made very recently this morning, so Johanna and I left already with Aryan, another new-arrival. On the road, we got the message that Mohammed is coming to Sheba by taxi! Once he was there, we had to wait a long time for his examination, so he was quite unsettled and the Mom had her troubles with calming him. After about two hours waiting he finally fell asleep and Mom also looked so tired. I felt so sorry for her, but we couldn't really help her; Mohammed loves to have fun, but whenever we came too close or touched him, he hid his face in his mother's scarf.
Still sleeping, the Mom carried him into the examination room, where he woke up and immediately started to cry. He wouldn't stop for the whole echo and move so hardly all the time, that neither nurses nor doctors could get good ultrasound pictures of his heart. We tried everything to calm him, from giving him milk, to show him videos and music, and even that his mum held him through the ultra sound, which is very unusual. After everything didn't work, one of the nurses brought a small bowl of bubbles, and he loved them! He calmed down and had a lot of fun while bursting the bubbles and very concentrated watching them sinking down.
Even after the echo I continued to blow the bubbles for him, as well as our eleven years old Arian. Everyone was so relieved that he finally was quiet and laughing again.
The results were quite good, so that the next step will be the surgery already. We don't know yet, when it will be, but this day was already a good start for him. Please think about him in your prayers!