Mohammed's Heart Surgery


Mohammed Returns to Gaza -Scheduled to Return in Two Weeks For Surgery

Posted on Sun, 11/30/2008 - 06:48 by Hank_Dannecker

November 30, 2008

Last week Mohammed's mother was faced with a decision to make as doctors told her that Mohammed's surgery would be postponed for two weeks. She could choose to go back to Gaza and risk sickness and not being able to cross back into Israel again in time for Mohammed's surgery or she could stay in the hospital until his surgery date.

As I talked to her she informed me that she wanted to go home. So with a final exam, which included listening to his breathing and his heart (not to Mohammed's liking) he was on his way back to Gaza.

There are many different volunteers with varying gifts and talents who come to the hospital to cheer the children up. This "patient entertainer" arrived just as we were leaving, providing balloons and smiles for all.

Mohammed to Israel for CathandSurgery

Posted on Sun, 11/23/2008 - 06:48 by Keleigh_Glisson
November 23, 2008

Monday evening we received word via many Palestinian families in Gaza that the border into Israel would be closed due to the increase of tension between Israel and many of those living in Gaza. Erica and I decided to fax our request to get children out of Gaza directly to the Israeli security at the border as a last effort to try and get at least a few children out.

Tuesday morning we were pleasantly surprised to hear that three had permission
to cross into Israel, however the two children that were scheduled for catheterizations were not on the list. We called security and pleaded our case. We asked for permission to be granted to two more children and within a few hours permission was granted for Asma and Mohammed to enter Israel to undergo catheterizations the following day.

Their caths went well. On Thursday I expected to receive a phone call from the hospital asking us to take them back to Gaza, but no
such phone call came. Early this morning I received a call from the hospital informing us that these two children were both in desperate need of surgery. The hospital asked us to postpone two other children from Gaza who were scheduled to come this week for surgery because of the urgency of Asma and Mohammeds condition.

Today the doctors told Hank that they are tentatively scheduled for surgery on Tuesday. Mohammed is healthy enough to await surgery in the ward, whereas Asma is so sick she is in the ICU.

They both need our prayers!