Nahro's Heart Surgery


An Emotional Goodbye

Posted on Wed, 05/21/2008 - 01:00 by Donna_Petrel

A very emotional goodbye happened a few days ago at the Save A Child's Heart house when Nahro and his mother left for home. The situation they are returning to is a difficult one, and therefore even in the joy of Nahro going home, the reality of going back was heavy in the air.... in fact, I believe it may have been one of the most emotional goodbyes I have experienced. The friendships formed between Nahro's mother and the other Iraqi mothers were very strong, and they experience a sorrow at parting which is also strong.

As we got underway, we shared a picnic on wheels, and then both Nahro and his mom fell asleep. They slept the majority of the ride to the border, and I was glad for them since they still had several hours of travel ahead once they crossed into Jordan. Their exit from Israel went smoothly, and our volunteer Jean was awaiting us at the bus to go to Jordan with them. I had explained to them that she would be there, but they didn't realize who Jean was until they saw her. They remembered immediately and all were delighted to see each other again.

I assured this sweet mother that I would pray for her and for Nahro as they returned home, which brought tears again, and when Nahro saw them, he too got teary - which I'd noted when they left the Save A Child's Heart house. This is an indication of how fragile this situation is in my opinion.

Please pray for this family as Nahro returns home, that a peace beyond understanding will overtake them as God draws near in their challenging situations.

Flu Symptoms

Posted on Wed, 05/07/2008 - 01:00 by Andrew_Peck

Nahro had some flu symptoms and was taken to the hospital, but he was allowed to return to the Save A Child's Heart house the same evening.

He was very cheerful, and full of energy, and his mother was also very happy.

Released from Hospital

Posted on Tue, 04/29/2008 - 01:00 by Elly_Miles

I visited Nahro and and his mother on Sunday evening in the regular ward which they had been moved to. Nahro greeted me with a huge smile, but as the time went on he looked more dejected and unhappy than anything else. This is fairly normal for children recovering from open-heart surgery. Nahro's mom seemed to be in good spirits and said that her husband continues to be supportive since Nahro went in for surgery.

By today, Nahro and his mother were up and moving around the hospital. Nahro is recovering quickly. He returned to the Save a Childs Heart home this afternoon to continue his recovery.

Please continue praying for Nahro, his mother, and their family back in Iraq.

Nahro Recovering in ICU

Posted on Thu, 04/24/2008 - 01:00 by Elly_Miles

Nahro came through surgery today. The nurses reported to Keleigh and me in the ICU this afternoon that the surgery went well and Nahro's recovery is quite successful so far.

Nahro's mother complained of a small headache, but overall seemed much more upbeat and bright than she did the last time I saw her. She said that since her husband heard of Nahro going into surgery, he had stopped demanding every day over the phone that she come back to him and their children right away. She also said that all five of her children fasted the day of Nahro's surgery!

We are all thankful that Nahro's mom has been more able to focus on Nahro with his surgery now without the stress of an upset family back home.

No Signs of Fear Over Tomorrow's Surgery

Posted on Wed, 04/23/2008 - 01:00 by Keleigh_Glisson

Last Thursday when I visited the Save A Childs Heart house, Nahros mother didnt come down to visit with me because she was upstairs, sick in bed. I was able to spend some time with her and learned that part of her sickness was due to stress. Her husband wanted her to come back home, before Nahro would have been able to have his surgery. She was torn between remaining in Israel and getting her son proper medical help, and honoring her husband's wishes.

This morning there was a bit of confusion at the Save A Child's Heart house. At first Sarbast was requested to come to the hospital in order to prepare for surgery tomorrow (Thursday, April 24, 2008). Not long after Sarbast and his mother arrived to the hospital, they were sent home (it is still unclear why they were sent home) and Nahro and his mother were requested. Sarbasts mother is pregnant and, like Nahro's mom, also needs to return home quickly. But this really was an answer to prayer regarding Nahros circumstances.

We were able to visit them for a short time this afternoon. Neither Nahro nor his mother were showing signs of fear; they were talking, laughing, and Nahro was playing with the other children at the hospital.

Please begin to pray now for his operation scheduled for tomorrow.


Posted on Wed, 04/09/2008 - 01:00 by Simantov_Allalouf

Nahro was sitting up and doing very well today after his catheterization. He was a true picture of resilience.

The nurse said in all likelihood he will be ready to leave hospital tomorrow, and wait for the next step in his treatment.

Catheterization Scheduled for Tomorrow

Posted on Tue, 04/08/2008 - 01:00 by Martha_Berg

Nahro was admitted to the hospital today, and had his share of tears. His catheterization is scheduled for tomorrow.

Nahro Arrives in Israel

Posted on Mon, 03/24/2008 - 00:00 by Jean_Calvani

Nahro, Sarbast, Ghaith, and Aryan finally got the word that theyd be traveling to Israel on Monday. They along with 10 other children have been waiting in Amman for visa approvals and funds for their surgeries. Since the screening in early March, every day has been filled with the hope that it would soon be their turn to travel. The other families were encouraged that these four were finally traveling, yet disappointed that theyd have to wait a little while longer. Pray that they would stay encouraged, and trust God with the timing of their travel.

Before packing up and heading for the border, all the families enjoyed a beautiful day at the park. The children and their mothers had been looking forward to this outing for almost a week, and really enjoyed their time relaxing under the pine trees.

After eating lunch the time came for Nahro, Sarbast, Ghaith, Aryan, and their mothers to say good-bye to the other families. Many of the mothers and even some of the children teared up as they sent them on their way with the hope of joining them soon in Israel.

Since we got an unexpected late start, we didnt arrive at the border until it was almost eight. While Dirk was inside the terminal waiting for their paperwork to be processed, I took the families outside to enjoy the pleasantly warm evening. I enjoyed these last few moments with them as we spoke of the time they'd spend in Israel and what lay ahead in the coming weeks and months. The kids also took advantage of the time to run around and stretch their little legs. After about an hour of patiently waiting, the families loaded the bus and headed for Israel.

It was a joy and an encouragement to see these precious little ones on their way. Pray that the Lord will continue to give them grace, strength, and endurance for the road ahead as we look forward to seeing His healing touch in their lives.