Ahmed's Heart Surgery


Ahmed Is With the Lord

Posted on Fri, 05/14/2010 - 01:00 by Jonathan Miles
It has meant much to us to know you are praying for Ahmed. His doctors fought for his life all night and called at 6:30 this morning to let us know he was gone.

As we prayed together a scene from the mothers' last visit to the Garden Tomb came to Mary's mind. Many children were gathered there by the empty tomb, and a woman held up a picture of Jesus and asked who it was. Ahmed was the first to joyfully cry out "Yassua!"

We are trusting that Ahmed is now crying out to his Savior face to face.

From the Park to the ICU

Posted on Thu, 05/13/2010 - 01:00 by Jonathan Miles

Little Ahmed from Iraq, pictured above top and center at the park this morning, has given us plenty of alarms during his six months in Israel. This afternoon he began crying and gagging, and by the time Justina reached the hospital with Ahmed in her arms she reports feeling his spirit leave his body.

Doctors scrambled from all over the hospital and spent the next 40 minutes reviving Ahmed. Tonight he is in most critical condition in the ICU with a machine doing the work of his heart and lungs. We're praying here together with all the visiting mothers, and ask you to join with us.

Regaining Hope

Posted on Wed, 05/12/2010 - 01:00 by Donna_West
James says, "The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." Thank you for standing with us in prayer for Ahmed. On arrival at Wolfson today, we found our silly, playful boy chattering and laughing and making faces once again. This time he was wanting everybody to look up his nose because it was no longer bleeding. Even as I write this note of thanks to you this evening, I can hear the chatter of all the children upstairs playing with Ahmed's voice happily ringing from the center of them. As I went upstairs to introduce another visitor to the families this evening, I saw Ahmed taking his medicine and he was doing his silly little 'shimmy, shake, shake' to let us know it STILL doesn't taste good. Ahmed's mother is beginning to regain hope. She is finally beginning to ask again, "How many more echos before Iraq?" Since her arrival here on November 17th she has had more quality one-on-one time with Ahmed than most parents get with their child in many years. It has not been an easy path, but the future is much brighter for them now than before they left Kurdistan. While in Kurdistan, the doctors didn't think anything could be done to help Ahmed but the doctors at Wolfson were willing to try. Thank you God for those who have taken the call to heal the brokenhearted as their personal mission in this world.

Ahmed Enjoying His Beak

Posted on Mon, 05/10/2010 - 01:00 by Donna_West

I found Ahmed resting on his bed this afternoon by a window with a wonderful warm breeze that smelled like the sea. The bandage holding the packing in Ahmed's nose resembled a little bird's beak. Tomorrow they will remove the packing. Meanwhile Ahmed's mother appears much more relaxed and Ahmed still has that special little sparkle in his eyes as if to say, "I can't wait to feel like playing again." May Ahmed's healing be made complete and a child's wish be granted until he grows old enough to have bigger wishes for his future.

Another Ahmed Emergency

Posted on Sun, 05/09/2010 - 01:00 by

I was working in my office and suddenly Arina's mom came to tell us that Ahmed wass bleeding badly from his nose, so I ran to see him and calm him down but the blood did not stop. I brought him some ice as Simcha told me to do and she held him and put the ice on his nose to try to stop the bleeding. We had to take him to the nearest hospital emergency room and there was fear in his eyes. The doctor came to check him and see why this had happened to him, and Ahmed started bleeding again, and it was bleeding so badly I couldn't handle myself when I saw him in this situation. But my sister Simcha and I tried our best to let him calm down and we kept on praying for him. His mother was so afraid about her child but all the time she was trying to calm herself and her son.

The doctor there packed his nose but even after the packing his nose was still bleeding, so the doctor said that Ahmed must go to Wolfson Hospital and sleep there, so immediately I called a taxi to take him to the hospital. Please continue praying for Ahmed and his mom, they need your prayers.

The Big "Ahmed Smile" is Back

Posted on Fri, 05/07/2010 - 01:00 by Donna_West
By Thursday evening, Ahmed began to return to the smiling little boy we knew and had been missing. When we arrived to bring him back to the Shevet house on Friday we were greeted with that big "Ahmed smile," genuine and full of life. He was having lunch but was dressed and ready to go. It took a little while to get all the instructions for the medications Ahmed would need to continue back in Jerusalem. Once back at the house, you could tell how much Ahmed and his mother were missed.

I was delighted that we are now able to begin reducing the steroid medication and that Ahmed's mother is excellent at measuring and administering her son's medicine on time.

Thank you each for all your heartfelt prayers. Please continue praying for God to complete the good work he has started in the life of this child and his family.

Ahmed's Fifth Birthday in the Hospital

Posted on Thu, 05/06/2010 - 01:00 by Donna_West
We were looking forward to celebrating Ahmed's fifth birthday today with the children in the Shevet House, but Ahmed was still recovering at Wolfson from his chest infection. This struggle for his breath and life has left him very weary. He is recovering but he is not yet the same little boy who hasn't known how sick he was. He seems to have quite a real sense that he is "no bash" (which means "not good" in Kurdish). He is lethargic and it is now an effort for him to even smile.

However, the chocolate birthday cake, served outside in the hospital play area, with many smiles and funny faces around him helped. Today was also our co-worker, Simcha's, birthday. So Ahmed had an adult playmate in a funny hat, too. As we tried to get him to eat a little cake, blow out candles and step into the play house, the best laugh of the afternoon came when Mary (the worker with the most birthdays accumulated) stepped into the play house to try to draw him in. That generated the best Ahmed laugh of the day!

Please continue to pray for Ahmed that the joy and enjoyment of life that he came to Israel with will return to him and he will be touched by the master's hand for the rest of his physical needs. We know Our Father has a good plan for this life.

That Sweet Ahmed Smile

Posted on Thu, 04/29/2010 - 01:00 by Mary_Dailey
When we got to Wolfson today we first went to see Ahmed. His mother was not there but he was sitting in his bed and he had that sweet Ahmed smile. Our coworker Suhail couldn't believe how good he looked. This is such a wonderful miracle. A little boy that was in danger of dying, one who the doctors weren't even sure that he would make it through the surgery, is healed! God is so awesome. That song that says, "Our God is an awesome God" is so true. We want to thank God and also thank you for all your prayers.

A little later his mother came in and he was sleeping so we got a picture of her with him. She is so grateful to everyone, especially God for this precious miracle.

A Beautiful Sight

Posted on Tue, 04/27/2010 - 01:00 by Jonathan Miles
It was a joy for our coworker Lina to find Ahmed today already out of the main ICU, sitting up, awake, even attempting a smile. We thank God that his recovery is coming along well, and pray that God will complete the good work which he has begun in Ahmed's heart and life.

Surgery Day from Start to Finish

Posted on Sun, 04/25/2010 - 01:00 by Donna_West
Mary, Michelle and I left Jerusalem early this morning in order to be alongside Ahmed and his mother in Tel Aviv when they came to prep him for surgery at about 7:30. We each took our turn embracing Ahmed's mother as Ahmed was just beginning to wake. The atmosphere was exceptionally peaceful and calm. As Ahmed awoke his little smile widened with the entrance of each visitor. When the nurse came into the room with medicine in a syringe, Ahmed offered his hand to her with no hesitation. The calmness and peace of a Divine Presence was never more evident. It moved with us through the hallways into the pre-surgical waiting room, as Ahmed's four supporting women put on the hospital gowns to remain with him as long as possible. Only Ahmed was available to capture this moment. (See the picture he took below.)

As we waited in the "Fish Room" (waiting room with an aquarium) we experienced a flow of constant concern from familiar faces of other mothers, Save a Child's Heart personnel, hospital staff and our dear friend and interpreter, Ilan. Finally at 2 PM Ahmed was rolled past us and into the ICU (click play arrow below).

It took another hour to get him wired-up and ready for a first visit from friends and family.

The best new of the day was that the leaking valve was repaired, rather than replaced with an artificial valve and its attendant lifelong complications. PRAISE GOD!!!!! A repair of his own valve is by far the #1 choice. It will grow with him as he grows. Thank You Lord for your goodness, mercy and loving kindness!