Hastiyar's Heart Surgery

northern Iraq

Hastiyar's Last Adventure in Israel

Posted on Sat, 12/18/2010 - 00:00 by Jonathan Miles

On Friday morning timid Hastiyar found himself drawn into an exciting balloon battle in the back garden of the Shevet building in Jerusalem (click the play arrow above). Perhaps it will be one of the memories that stays in his three-year-old mind of this transforming visit to Israel for healing.

Saturday we reached the airport in Amman, Jordan together with two fellow patients and all their mothers for the flight home to Iraq.

By now it seemed all of Hastiyar's fears had dissolved, as if he understood it was all over and he would be home in the arms of his joyful father in a few hours. We're glad to know he will also be in the arms of his heavenly Father, whose love for this little boy has been shown to us all so clearly.

Hastiyar Has His Last Echo

Posted on Fri, 12/10/2010 - 00:00 by Anna_Hakkien

On Friday the 10th of December, there was a slight setback in Hastiyar's recovery since he developed a fever and a sore throat. Only a few minutes after we, new short term volunteers, had arrived at Shevet Achim we met an unhappy Hastiyar and his worried mother. We were given the opportunity to join them in their trip to the hospital. At the hospital two doctors examined Hastiyar who was then admitted to the hospital for observation. Both the mother and the child were crying when we left.

It was our great joy to find Hastiyar well on Sunday. He had his last echo, which proved to be fine, much to the relief of his mother. After some waiting also the sutures were taken off at last. Hastiyar understandably didn't like this procedure. His heart medicine was discontinued and so he has only a few doses of antibiotics left.

Now it's time to give thanks to God for Hastiyar's splendid recovery and that he and his mother are free to leave to their home country in just a few days. You should have seen the cheerful get together when he met his friends Ahmed and Hemin. Please pray for Hastiyar's and his mother's last days in Israel: that all will continue to go well and they will have a blessed journey back home.

Hastiyar Off Medication, Healing

Posted on Mon, 11/29/2010 - 00:00 by Donna_West

This morning Gadi transported a van full of women and children to Wolfson Medical Center. Three little boys from Kurdistan were to have follow-up echocardiograms. Jenn took the families to the echo room as I went to the ward to collect medical charts. When I arrived in the echo department, the three mothers of the three boys were seated along the wall, watching Jenn play with the children. The time and appointments progressed quickly today and all three boys got an excellent progress report. Each mother is wondering how many more echoes their child will have before being released to return home to their families. Hastiyars medication has been discontinued, and this is a positive step towards being released. Please continue to pray for his recovery and healing.

Energetic Hastiyar Released From Hospital

Posted on Mon, 11/22/2010 - 00:00 by Michelle_Bradburn

Hastiyar and his mother were so excited to hear they were released from the hospital yesterday! (Our new coworker Laura from Finland is pictured above sharing in their joy). Both mother and son are rather quiet in nature, not always having much to say, but so thoughtful and loving. Hastiyar's mother is so patient and full of grace, and the love she has for Hastiyar shows in her eyes much louder than words.

Hastiyar himself is a bundle of energy and happiness since returning to the Jerusalem home, and we're so thankful to see how God has healed this boy, this precious boy who's found his way deep into our hearts! I'm so excited to see how God will continue to strengthen his little body, and how he will bless this beautiful, affectionate family with His love.

Hastiyar Out of the ICU

Posted on Thu, 11/18/2010 - 00:00 by Mary_Dailey

When we arrived at Wolfson with Sara and her mom this morning we were surprised to see Hastiyar out of intermediate ICU and in the room in the regular children's ward across the hall from the nurses station. He was wide awake, looking all around. He looked so good that it was hard to believe he had just had his surgery a few days ago. I didn't get to spend much time with him, but was able to spend enough time to see that he was doing very well. Keep him in your prayers. His mother looked really good also. She seemed peaceful. Pray that everything will continue to go well with him and his mother.

Hastiyar Breathing On His Own, Drinking

Posted on Wed, 11/17/2010 - 00:00 by Donna_West

Hastiyar was still intubated in the ICU when I first arrived this morning, but by noon he was extubated from mechanical ventilation and drinking from a bottle (and getting sick to his stomach). By 2 PM he was resting peacefully and his mother was able to leave his bedside for short period of time. Please continue to keep this little one in your prayer for a complete recovery.

Hastiyar Has a Successful Heart Surgery

Posted on Tue, 11/16/2010 - 00:00 by Mary_Dailey

Today at Wolfson Hospital Hastiyar from Iraq had his heart operation. Both Mary and Donna were on site for different moments of the day, and they each had thoughts to share:

Mary: Hastiyar's surgery today was the second of the day, which means he had to wait from 6:00 a.m until 1:00 p.m. without eating or drinking anything. I've noticed that our children usually don't mind giving up the food as much as they do giving up the water. He was easy to entertain until around 12:00 p.m. Then he began crying because he was tired. He had fun in the play room coloring, drawing, and playing with some plastic tools with his mother. Around 12:30 we took him to I.C.U. where they sedated him and prepared him for surgery. His mother was very upset when we had to leave him in the I.C.U. I went to comfort her and we both cried and hugged each other. Donna and Michelle came and stayed with her while Jennifer and I went to lunch. When we got back they had already taken him to the operating room.

Donna P: Sitting outside the ICU as doctors prepared Hastiyar for the operating theater, we suddenly saw him wheeled out from the ICU, through the waiting area, and on his way downstairs. We moved quickly to follow as the medical team raced down the hall. It was a very emotional time for Hastiyar's mother, but we were thankful to see him once more before his surgery. When the doctors paused in the hallway near the operating room, Hastiyar's mother was allowed to put on some scrubs to stand with him for a few final moments to give him a kiss and say goodbye one more time. As soon as he was wheeled away she began to cry, and took a few minutes back in the hallway to regain her composure. We headed back upstairs to wait until his surgery was finished. After a few more tears she made a call to her family, and was feeling stronger and encouraged as the hours of waiting began.

Mary: I was surprised that the surgery only lasted around 3.5 hours, which is short. He was back up around 4:30 p.m. and it didn't take long before we could see him. The doctors told me that the surgery had went very well and that his mother could see him shortly. It was such a blessing that there were 3 of our moms and children there at the same time. By the time we left the hospital they were all together having a party, so to say, rejoicing that Hastiyar's surgery went well and was over.

Hastiyar Admitted to Wolfson for Operation

Posted on Mon, 11/15/2010 - 00:00 by Jennifer_Chang

After a week of waiting, Hastiyar was finally admitted to Wolfson Hospital this evening for his heart surgery, which is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. Upon arrival at the hospital, Hastiyar was brought to the nurses station to undergo routine tests. When the nurse in attendance tried to stick the thermometer in his mouth, Hastiar resisted and burst out crying rather unexpectedly. When she tried again to place it in his underarm, he cried more. He also struggled when his sweatshirt was removed. But his mother's reassuring words, touch, and presence calmed him so that the tests could be completed without further interruption.

After this, Hastiyar and his mother were shown to the same bed in the childrens wing that Ahmed (another Shevet child who had surgery today) had previously occupied, and dinner was brought to them. We were thankful that Ahmeds mother, who was waiting to see her son after his surgery, could give her company. We left them to enjoy their dinner and some private moments together while we went for a short coffee break ourselves.

Upon rejoining them, Donna made a call to our Jewish Kurdish friend Ilan for interpretive assistance, so that Hastiyar's mother would know how to prepare her son for his surgery. Both mothers also had a quick look-in to see how Ahmed was doing in the ICU post surgery. All seemed well, so we said goodbye with hugs and kisses, praying that everything will proceed smoothly tomorrow.

A Face Full of Hope

Posted on Sun, 10/31/2010 - 00:00 by Jonathan Miles

Two-and-a-half-year-old Hastiyar and his mother are resting in the Jordan home of our coworker Dirk and his family tonight, after flying in from northern Iraq yesterday. Early Monday morning we'll set out together to cross the Jordan River and reach the Shevet Achim Jerusalem Center.

Tuesday morning we hope to bring Hastiyar to the Wolfson Medical Center near Tel Aviv for his first evaluation by Israeli doctors. He was diagnosed in Iraq with a ventricular septal defect, or VSD, which is a hole between two chambers of his heart. With successful surgery, God willing, Hastiyar should go on to a normal life.

Hastiyar Nearing His Release Home

Posted on Fri, 10/29/2010 - 00:00 by Jonathan Miles

It was my great pleasure and privilege to accompany Hastiyar and his mum for his echo today. I was able to explain his medications to the doctor, who confirmed his echo looked excellent; following his next echo on Monday next, he should be able to go home!

After this excitement we made attempts to have his sutures removed by a nurse, but pressure on her time did not make this a possibility for today. Therefore, it was decided to break into two groups, one of which (including Hastiyar and his mother) went to the sea at Jaffa, whilst I returned to a much colder Jerusalem.

It was such a joy for me to be with the four children today for their echoes. Each of them Hastiyar, Ahmed, Hemen, and Sara were very patient and behaved well.