WahajSurgery's Heart Surgery


Wahaj Returns to Iraq

Posted on Sat, 01/17/2009 - 06:53 by Dirk

How would God deal with these four problems?

* Lost airplane ticket
* Empty oxygen bottles
* Problem with the van
* Lack of time

The last leg of the journey for Alaa, Hemin, Elaf and Wahaj was a real adventure.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Hemin and his mother had been waiting at our house for three days for their return flight and they were a little bored. However, once Wednesday came and they were joined by the other three Iraqi families there was no time for boredom. We were all very happy to be able to host Elaf, Wahaj, Alaa and their mothers here again. So, the night was filled with talking, praising God, sorting out things, looking at pictures and a little sleep. All the time Alaa s oxygen generator was humming in the background.The return flight was scheduled for 1 PM and we knew we would need the morning hours to get out list of things completed. One of the mothers had lost her return ticket, so we had to rush to Amman to get a new one at the Iraqi airways office. Also, Alaa had used up almost all of her supply of oxygen on the way, so we needed to get a refill for her.                                                                                                                                          We tried to start the day early, but our van would not start, despite the fact that we had just received it back from the garage two days before. It took us awhile to get it started by pushing and rolling it down the hill. Fortunately, Dirk was still there and could help with this procedure. While Dirk drove off to Amman with the old van, Manuela tried to get a new supply of oxygen at the Italian hospital in Karak. We found the man who usually takes care of refilling oxygen tanks for the hospital, but the connectors to these oxygen tanks would not fit the tank that Alaa had brought over from Israel. This man was able to give Manuela the address and phone number of the company in Amman where we could get the oxygen bottle refilled. Praise God!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Praise God also for the new Shevet van that we received a day earlier. This additional van allowed Manuela to take the remaining three patients to the airport. Alaa had just enough oxygen in her bottle to get to the airport.                                                                          As Manuela drove the patients to the airport, Dirks was in Amman battling time. It can take hours in the city to get from point A to point B. Dirk reached the Iraqi airways office an hour later than anticipated. He managed to secure a new ticket, but still had to find an oxygen refill for Alaa. Manuela reached the airport in time. She was able to inform the Iraqi Airway officials about the oxygen generator, and show him Alaas medical report, which clears her to fly. Once all of these things were completed Alaas oxygen bottle was almost empty. Manulea had already begun searching for a power outlet to connect the oxygen generator to.                                                                                                            Because all of the luggage was in Dirks van and he had not yet arrived, we were unable to proceed with the check-in process. The next two hours were very stressful for Manuela and the three mothers that were waiting with her.                                   Dirk was attempting to rush through Amman to try and find the company that provides the oxygen. Forty-five minutes before the fight was scheduled to leave Dirk picked up the oxygen and began to make his way back to the airport. Dirk reached the airport at 1 PM, the scheduled time of departure for this flight. The Iraqi Airway official understandably became more and more impatient.                                                                                                                                          Eventually, he left and two friendly airport assistants waited with the mothers. We had considered taking all of the patients and mothers back home and have them fly with the next flight three days later, but we prayed against this option. The Iraqi mothers and Hemin spent most of the time on the phone with their relatives at home explaining to them the situation. Consequently, in the midst of the chaos, Dirk was receiving calls from nervous fathers in Iraq asking him to hurry up. In the end, the flight left an hour late because they waited for our group of mothers. Thank you Lord and thank you Iraqi Airways for this grace!                                                                                                                                 Quickly, the empty oxygen bottle was replaced with the full one. Without time to say goodbye, the mothers were escorted away with the airport assistants. We would like to ask Gods blessing on them. God is waiting for them in the same way the plane waited for them. Even though their departure was delayed, they did arrive home safely and in good health!

On His Way Home

Posted on Wed, 01/14/2009 - 00:00 by Dorothy_Finlay

Today Wahaj made the big crossing back into Jordan on the first stage of his journey back home. His Mum asked me to pray for them as they went forward. There were tears in her eyes as she said how much she had been blessed in Israel. Let us follow them with our prayers that they will know the love of the Lord in a personal way and share it with others.
We thank you so much for supporting this delightful little boy. He arrived in Israel with dark blue, cyanosed fingers and lips and laboured breathing. He left today pink, chubby and relaxed, just as he looked when he received his heart-shaped pillow last night at his farewell party at Shevet. God is so good.

A Visit To The Sea

Posted on Mon, 01/12/2009 - 06:53 by Justin_and_Dorothy

Sunday morning we took Wahaj in for an echocardiogram but found out once we arrived at the hospital that his echo was actually scheduled for Monday.
Rather than drive the hour back to Jerusalem we thought it would be a great opportunity to take him to the sea.
As soon as we arrived, he pointed eagerly toward the water. Wahaj had a great time sitting grabbing handfuls of sand and reaching down to touch the water from his mother's arms.
Today Wahaj made it to the hospital for his scheduled echocardiogram. Despite his strong dislike of echo probes and doctors in white, Wahaj managed to stay still long enough for them to report a success story with his heart repair. Due to the nature of his heart defects he will need to return to Wolfson in a year's time, but that didn't wipe the grin off his face.
We pray for Wahaj and his Mum as they prepare to return home in the next few days.

Wahaj's Chest Is Clear

Posted on Thu, 01/08/2009 - 06:53 by Dorothy_Finlay
It was all good news for Wahaj and his Mum when they saw Dr. Tamir. Wahaj's chest is clear, his prednisone tablets are stopped, and on Monday if his echo is good he can consider returning to Iraq. This is good news.

Praise the Lord for his goodness to this little boy, pictured above with his friend Azhin. Continue to follow him with your prayers.


Doctors Reduce Wahaj's Medication

Posted on Mon, 01/05/2009 - 00:00 by Dorothy_Finlay
This morning Wahaj came for his second to last echo assessment and the doctors were pleased and reduced his medication as a result. On Thursday he will have his last echo. If that is stable, he can come to Jerusalem and then back to Iraq.
Wahaj has had a more challenging recovery and needs to take care for some time when he goes home. Please pray for complete healing and that he will come to know the love of the Lord.


Only His Smile is Infectious

Posted on Sun, 01/04/2009 - 00:00 by Dorothy_Finlay

Wahaj greeted us with his infectious smile this morning at Wolfson. His mother had received the good news that they were able to come back to Jerusalem, and Wahaj was having fun playing with fellow heart patient Azhin.                         However due to his fragile respiratory system we felt it best for him to accompany Havan to the Save A Child's Heart house near the hospital for the next four days. Dr. Tamir, Wahaj's cardiologist, has instructed that he have another echo on Thursday, and if stable Wahaj can return to Iraq. We will see him again in about a year for stage two of his surgery.                                                                                                                                                                                               Pray for these two mothers who will share a room and that their children will remain free of any colds during these days of changeable weather.

Back to the Hospital

Posted on Fri, 01/02/2009 - 00:00 by Dorothy_Finlay
After a very restless night in Jerusalem with coughing and crying, Wahaj became the reason for us to return this morning to Wolfson hospital. Greeted with blood tests and that annoying doctor listening to his chest again, Wahaj was not very impressed. Thankfully Dr. Tamir decided to admit him again since he still has fluid around his heart and a very congested cough. Please pray for complete healing for this little man who has the cheekiest grin when he feels well. May our heavenly Father surround him and his Mum as they sleep tonight in the hospital.

A Little Miracle for a Little Boy

Posted on Tue, 12/30/2008 - 06:53 by Justina
I met Wahaj and his mother in the parking lot outside of the hospital this morning; he was carrying the little toboggan he received for Christmas and proudly showed it to me. He was very happy today and showed no anxiety over having to come to the hospital. Wahaj was scheduled for his second post-surgical echocardiogram today. He has had some fluid built-up around his heart and the doctors wanted to make sure that his medication was helping to reduce the swelling. The echo showed that the amount of water had not increased and so they were able to reduce the amount of medication he is taking.

We mentioned in an earlier post that Wahaj's mother was upset because the doctors told her that his clubbed fingers and toes would not get any better, even after surgery. As I was watching him play, I noticed a significant reduction in the size of his fingertips! I pointed this out to his mom and she grinned from ear to ear and she had noticed it and was amazed and thankful. Thanks to each one of you who were praying and asking Father for this 'little' miracle to happen!


Career Plans

Posted on Mon, 12/29/2008 - 00:00 by Dorothy_Finlay

Wahaj presented himself to his first post-surgical echocardiogram with gusto. He is planning a career as a doctor, it seems, as he tried out my stethoscope. He is a little puffy around the eyes today and the doctors were a little concerned and gave him extra medications. He is to return for an assessment tomorrow.

Wahaj will go back to Iraq and be called for part two of his surgery in about eight months. Pray for complete healing to take place in this bright little boy who is so full of life. May he grow up to testify to the goodness of God in his life.

Pink and Relaxed as Final Discharge Approaches

Posted on Wed, 12/24/2008 - 00:00 by Dorothy_Finlay

Wahaj's mother was packed and ready for us as we came to bring her and Wahaj to the Save a Child's Heart house near Tel Aviv, just shortly after lunch today.
Wahaj is a serious little boy who now looks pink and relaxed after part one of a two part surgery. The second half will be some months away.

Wahaj was excited to see Elaf (pictured above left) and her mother too at the SACH house where both will be until Monday next when they have their follow-up echo assessments and hopefully final discharge.

Wahaj has had some fluid round his heart and is on medication but doing very well and he is full of life and fun. Please trust with us that he will soon be restored to health and able to return to his family in Iraq.