Arin's Heart Surgery

northern Iraq

Making The Last Day Together Special

Posted on Sun, 09/23/2012 - 21:47 by Anna Kohler

Thursday was the last full day we were able to spend with Arin and his mother, so we made sure to make it special. We started the day off by taking them to the Garden Tomb and tried to explain what happened there and why the tomb is empty. She thought it was a beautiful place, and seemed interested in what it symbolized. She hesitantly walked into the tomb, and respected what we shared with her.

The next stop was the beach! Arin's mom was greatly anticipating this trip, and expressed to us that she would like to stay there for a long time. "Very beautiful," she said as she caught her first glimpse of the sparkling blue water from the van window. She repeatedly said "It's so beautiful," until she finally squished the sand between her toes. Arin, was overjoyed and watched the waves with his big round eyes, full of awe.

To end the day, we all gathered in the upstairs living room with the Kurdish families to say goodbye to Arin and his mother. We had cake and tea, as we expressed to his mother how much we love them and will miss them. We told her how evident it was that she has such a special bond with her son, and that her love for him was so full.  "Thank you for everything!" she said multiple times, with her bright smiling face. 

Before they loaded in the van to leave the next morning, we gathered in the courtyard to pray for them and say farewell (here's a video peek):

As I embraced Arin and his mother one last time, she lovingly thanked me and with a shaky voice called me "Anna jian", which is a Kurdish term of endearment. My eyes welled up with tears. I met eyes with her, only to discover that her eyes were full of tears as well. Right next to her face was the chubby little face of Arin radiating excitement, as it always is. 

I was so happy that their family finally gets to see that wonderful little face we've been able to enjoy for so long. I'm so thankful for the miracle of Arin's precious beating heart, and pray that it will one day be full of the love of God.

Arin Ready For Home!

Posted on Wed, 09/19/2012 - 21:42 by Donna_Petrel

"His heart is very good! Beautiful! Go home to Iraq!" A lengthy echo from the cardiology team at Wolfson today was finalized by these words from Dr. Alona, and our smiles matched hers when we heard the news. Arin received no sedative during the process, so it took creative probing skills by the doctors to finish checking everything about Arin's heart, but it was worth the effort. We were thankful to hear the rest of the good news too, which is that Arin no longer requires any medication. 

We left the echo clinic to share the news with the mothers of Hero and Shad, thanking God for Arin's healthy heart. The doctors also examined Arin's nose following a fall on Monday. Although he has a small bruise on the bridge of his nose, everything else is fine, just as the nurses at the Shevet house recognized at the time it happened. But being the good mother she is, Arin's mom wanted to be sure the doctors saw no problem.

Arin was happy to see his friends Hero and Shad again, but even happier to be "set free" on the playground while we waited for Hannes and Lina to bring a new patient from Gaza back to the hospital. He enjoyed crawling and exploring everything he could reach, and swinging in his mother's lap was extra-special for them both. By the time we bade Wolfson goodbye, Arin had fallen asleep, and slept all the way back to Jerusalem. Tomorrow night will bring us to our farewell celebration with Arin and his mother, both of whom are dearly loved by everyone here. We look forward to sharing all they've meant to us as we join in celebrating God's good work in Arin's heart through the help he received from the caring staff of Wolfson Medical Center. 


Happy Child

Posted on Wed, 09/12/2012 - 11:48 by Jonathan Miles

I think we'd all have to agree that Arin is about the happiest child we've ever seen. Here's a glimpse of his joy (even with his face covered with mosquito bites) as we stood waiting for lunch Tuesday:

Arin's Echo Yields Excellent Results

Posted on Tue, 09/11/2012 - 00:11 by Tabea Schnidrig

Today we went with Arin and his Mother to the Wolfson Medical Center for his first follow up echocardiogram after surgery. Though Arin is usually a happy child, he didn

Arin Returns to Jerusalem

Posted on Fri, 09/07/2012 - 16:56 by Tabea Schnidrig

Just nine days after his heart surgery at the Wolfson Medical Center, a healthy and happy Arin was cleared to return to Jerusalem yesterday afternoon. After sleeping the whole car ride home, Arin woke up once we reached Jerusalem and was ready to play. His Mum looked joyful, yet understandably tired, as she probably did not find all the rest she needed at the hospital. He smiled at everybody as soon as we arrived at the Shevet building, and it was clear that he was happy to be free once again to explore the things around him. As a nurse who has worked with adults that have had heart surgeries, it was simply amazing to see Arin doing this well so soon after his heart operation.

Arin Healing Beautifully After Surgery

Posted on Tue, 09/04/2012 - 20:26 by Hannes-Christoph Buchmann

Today we went to Wolfson Hospital and visited Arin and his mother. He is currently in the normal children ward. He looks very good and is laughing a lot, especially when we smiled at him or waved. He is very active and loves to see what

Arin Moved to Secondary ICU

Posted on Wed, 08/29/2012 - 23:02 by Ruth Zellweger

Since their arrival, it has been obvious to our community how much Arin

Surgery Day: Joy Comes In The Morning

Posted on Wed, 08/29/2012 - 00:10 by Kristina Kayser

The Psalmist David once wrote, "Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning." These words resonate in my heart when I consider the turn of events in Arin's life this week. His surgery date, which was initially scheduled for yesterday afternoon, was cancelled with no word on a future date. This devastated his mother when we shared the news on Sunday evening. Emotions were high as she processed varying degrees of disappointment, anger, and sadness over the last three days. Words of comfort and encouragement were shared as we pressed on to trust God for his perfect timing. And when words would not suffice, it was our opportunity to "weep with those who weep" and simply love. For Arin, however, ignorance was bliss. His amiable personality continued unaffected, delighting us all.  

Hope was rekindled this morning with an unexpected phone call from Dr. Tamir at 6:15 a.m. "Bring Arin as soon as possible for surgery this afternoon," he told Jonathan. He added that if the first surgery of the day took too long, Arin would be sent home. On receiving this news, I rushed upstairs to find Arin's mother. Soft morning sunlight poured in through the window as I quietly opened the door. Believing all the mothers and children to still be sleeping, I was surprised to see Arin's mother walking towards me, her eyes fresh and bright. They did not carry the same shadow of grieving I saw the day before. She looked surprised as well to see me so early. Her astonishment grew as I shared the words she was longing to hear. Despite understanding the risk of another cancellation, joy poured from her being. She hugged me tightly before scrambling to collect her things and feed Arin one last time before his pre-surgery fast began. 

As our happy caravan made its way down the mountain towards Tel Aviv, Arin's mother was full of thanks to God. Arin babbled and kicked his chubby legs in the car seat. Along with his mother, Ruth, Ryan, Anna, and I all recognized what an amazing gift this day was from the Lord. Soon after arriving at Wolfson, Arin was ushered into the nurses

Arin's First Day at the Hospital

Posted on Tue, 08/07/2012 - 00:04 by Ruth Zellweger

Having arrived late last night, Arin and his mother did not get much rest to recover from their long and adventurous journey to Israel. This morning we took them on their first of many hospital trips to the Wolfson Medical Center. Our ride to Tel Aviv went well. Arin fell asleep soon after we left Jerusalem. His mother also had a pleasant journey as Donna gave her some medicine to ward off car sickness before we left. After our arrival, we had to wait for about half an hour until the testing started. Arin did great when the nurses performed an EKG and took his vital signs. 

However, as soon as blood was drawn he started crying and did not stop for the next 30 minutes. This was mostly due to the fact that the doctor had a hard time finding a good vein that would provide the amount of blood needed for several tests. When it was over, little Arin was sweaty and exhausted. It touched me deeply when I saw his sweet mother weeping gently, holding Arin closely and caressing his face. Soon after this we were sent to the echo department. Arin received some sedatives and when it was time for his echo he was sound asleep.

The only remaining test to be taken is his tubercolosis skin test, which will have to be done later this week. Although it had been a long day for all of us, I enjoyed getting to know Arin and his mother better and am looking forward to spending more time with them.

Crawling Into Jerusalem

Posted on Mon, 08/06/2012 - 14:57 by Jonathan Miles

Arin is a chubby little guy, always seeming to direct a piercing, questioning gaze at me before breaking into a smile. He's also a great traveler, coming through two long days of travel and even a mid-air emergency with hardly a whimper.

On arrival at Prophets Street he was already on hands and knees exploring, even before suitcases had been wheeled to their room.

Finally, the reward of good Kurdish home cooking for a patient traveler:

Arin's first medical exams in Israel are Monday morning.