Mohammed's Heart Surgery


Thumbnail: 
Mohammed
Age: 
0
From: 
Gaza Strip

Mohammed Finished in Israel

Posted on Wed, 10/18/2017 - 22:07 by Alexa Bigl
Now that Mohammed's PDA has closed enough for his lungs to have healed, along with time for him to grow bigger and stronger, and he has been successfully extubated for a handful of days, the doctors are finally confident is saying a cardiac surgery is not required. The Israeli doctors have finished their end of the work in Mohammed and he returned to Gaza today. He is now hospitalized in Gaza for the final stages of his healing. He and his grandmother returned to Gaza via ambulance early this afternoon. 
 
We are so thankful for the journey the Lord has prepared for baby Mohammed. We can see His hand in sparing and blessing Mohammed, already at such a young age. We praise the Lord that Mohammed did not need to undergo surgery and that he is improving day by day. We are so thankful to have met sweet Mohammed and his lovely grandma during their time in Israel at Sheba hospital. 
 
Please continue keeping Mohammed in your prayers as he finishes his healing in Gaza. May the Lord's name be lifted high through Mohammed's life and we pray for His love to pervade throughout the people of Gaza. 

Possibly No Operation Necessary

Posted on Sun, 10/15/2017 - 21:20 by Coby van Wijhe

They extubated Mohammed last week, and he is doing fine. After all this waiting and many days of indecision, they expect no operation will be needed. Mohammed is still so tiny, it's amazing to look at his little self and think all he has already been through. We met Grandma on our way home. She looked happy and is very pleased with Mohammed's progress. Pray that he will continue in this way and this latest decision for no surgery is the final outcome of baby Mohammed.

Surgery Tomorrow

Posted on Sun, 10/08/2017 - 23:18 by Deborah Burke
*Tuesday, October 10th Update*
The medical team has continued to delay Mohammed's surgery, hoping he will improve without surgical intervention. His patent duct is slowly closing day by day. Once this duct fully closes the team will be better able to assess Mohammed's lungs and their functioning. While the decisions have been back and forth for what is best, we pray the Lord's plan unfolds for baby Mohammed. May the medical team be filled with His wisdom, and may God's hand of healing be upon this precious baby. 
 
*Sunday, October 8th Update*
Today my  co-worker,  Philippa, and I had a brief foray into the Sheba ICU to see if we could get the latest update on Mohammed. While we were unable to get into his room at the time, we met his grandmother and received an update from Mohammed's nurse.
 
 
In short, Mohammed remains stable. Tomorrow he is having surgery and hopefully will be extubated on Tuesday. The surgery will be a repair to the pulmonary vessel which they believe is the main cause of Mohammed's lung function not being at optimum level.
 
Let's uphold Mohammed in prayer, believing for a perfect healing of his pulmonary function. Blessed be the name of the Lord who is Sovereign over all situations and all of us.
 

Tiny and Precious

Posted on Wed, 10/04/2017 - 22:03 by Alexa Bigl

Lindsay and I had the opportunity to visit Mohammed and his lovely grandmother at Sheba today. Due to the beginning of Sukkot tonight, the ICU was practically empty of staff. But we waited for a short time and the doctor came around to update us on Mohammed's current status. We were a bit discouraged these past days as Mohammed was unable to be extubated and a surgery seemed more and more likely to be necessary. Today, the doctor renewed our hope and encouraged our prayers to be stronger than ever. 

Mohammed has a few separate areas he is fighting for well-being in. Firstly, he is infected with the resistant bacteria that has been affecting children around the world, including in Gaza, this summer and autumn. New antibiotics were began after consultation with infection specialists and the team is hopeful for a good response. Secondly, Mohammed has a patent ductus arteriosus. So, the blood flow between his body and lungs is a bit off; the hope is to see this ductus close with time and the help of medications. The blood flow has changed directions through the ductus and this is a very good step and shows there is still a chance the PDA will close without surgical intervention. The third area Mohammed is struggling with is his lungs. Because he was born prematurely, his lungs are not fully developed. This is the reason why the medical team has not successfully seen him extubated, especially when combined with his heart defect. Often, the lung development in these types of situations takes time. 
 
 
So, we are lifting up little Mohammed and covering him with prayer. Father, we pray for the infection to be gone, the PDA to close, and for the development of Mohammed's lungs. In the name of Yeshua we call for healing, amen.  
 

Mohammed Still Intubated

Posted on Sun, 10/01/2017 - 22:38 by Coby van Wijhe

This morning we visited Mohammed, and I was surprised to see that he was still intubated. Grandma was near him. They told us that they tried to exubate him twice but it failed. Tomorrow they will try again but if it fails, Mohammed will most likely need a catheterization or an open-heart surgery. Sadly, the progress is less positive than expected. Please continue to pray for Mohammed. May the extubation tomorrow be successful.

Seeing Progress

Posted on Tue, 09/26/2017 - 22:39 by Coby van Wijhe

We met Mohammed and his grandmother this morning. Mohammed is still intubated but the doctor already sees progress in his recovery. He has an infection and also pulmonary hypertension. Mohammed has remained intubated to keep his situation stabalized. They hope intubation will be for just for another day or two.

He is already more stable and is responding well to the treatment. If he continues this way, than there will be no operation needed. Thanks to God!

Just in Time

Posted on Mon, 09/25/2017 - 23:50 by Lindsay Martin

Yesterday, little baby Mohammed was rushed via ambulance to our partner hospital, Sheba, after waiting several days through the holidays for a bed to be available. 

The doctors performed some tests today to get an idea of his condition and they hope to do a CT scan tomorrow. Once the doctors are able to assess more clearly the condition of his heart, they will make a plan for surgery. 
 
 
Thank you for your prayers for this precious little life. We pray for the Lord's hands to cover and protect this little boy and are thankful that he made it to the hospital just in time.