Daru's Heart Surgery

Kurdistan, northern Iraq

Still needs $5500
Help Daru

Daru Still In ICU

Posted on Sun, 02/18/2018 - 17:16 by Maxine Stuart

Little Daru is still in the ICU. My team-mate Jesse visited him today and reported that the muscles on the right side of his lungs are paralyzed so his left lung is working to compensate. The Wolfson team will meet to determine the best way forward. I checked in on him later in the day and he was sitting up and active. While he is not out of the woods just yet, it is so great to see that his little fingers are no longer blue at all. There is not even the slightest hint of cyanosis left. I was able to encourage his aunt with these small but positive steps.

Awake and Extubated

Posted on Thu, 02/15/2018 - 00:42 by Alena D'Olimpio

When I walked into the Wolfson ICU Daru was fast asleep, still under sedation, and still intubated. His aunt was sitting next to his bed holding his hand under the hospital bed sheet. The doctors updated his chart, while sitting around his bed and discussing his condition and how to proceed. After a few minutes Daru began to stir from his sedative-induced sleep. While coming into consciousness he started to squirm, and his aunt tried to hold his arms down as to not unplug any of the wires he was hooked up to.

She asked me to get doctor to administer more sedative, but they explained that the plan was in fact to wake him, because they wanted to extubate him today. A nurse told me to take his aunt outside of the ICU until they were done.

We waited for only a few minutes before the nurse told us we could come back in. Daru was still awake, but groggy, and now was breathing on his own with the help of an oxygen max. We could see he was unsettled, so his aunt began to gently brush her fingers through his hair and sing quietly in Kurdish to soothe him. The doctor told me they hope to move him to the secondary ICU in two days time. We are so thankful to our Father for Daru's progress. May God continue to bless the healing of this little one. 

Daru's Surgery Day

Posted on Wed, 02/14/2018 - 21:17 by Noelle Chung

This morning, Daru and his aunt headed for the operation room. Daru looked anxious all the way through. As soon as Daru went into the OR, his aunt also burst into tears.

The operation took around five hours. His ventricular septum was repaired and previous shunt was removed. It was a successful surgery, and he is being observed in the ICU now. 

Admission for Surgery

Posted on Mon, 02/12/2018 - 01:21 by Noelle Chung

This morning we were extremely happy to get a call from the hospital that Daru would be admitted for surgery in the coming days! Daru’s surgery has been delayed several weeks because of the busy schedule of the hospital. Meanwhile, his family has been going through difficult times, with health problems of Daru’s mother, and discouragement from the long waiting.

Upon arrival, parents greeted other parents already staying in the hospital for recovery from their surgeries. Daru was also happy to see Maia again and played blocks with her.

However, as soon as a nurse came and checked his vital signs, he became afraid and did not stop crying. Now, Daru has changed into his hospital gowns and will be waiting for the operation in two days. Please keep him in your prayers.

CT Scan for Daru

Posted on Sun, 12/03/2017 - 16:19 by Ana Ruiz

Today Maxine, Swain and I went to the hospital with Daru and his aunt. The scan was scheduled for the morning, but we had to wait long time before it was our turn.

When the nurse told me that the doctor was ready to give the anesthesia, we went to a special room.

Then the doctor did the CT scan and we went back to the children’s ward. After he awoke, Daru was very hungry and upset so we gave he something to eat and finally after an hour the nurse said he could go home.

I liked getting to know Daru and his aunt today, as I spend time waiting with them. Daru still has to wait for his heart surgery to be scheduled, so please join us in praying for God's perfect timing.  

First Echo

Posted on Tue, 11/28/2017 - 23:31 by Elwira Kromer
Today Jesse and I went with Daru and his aunt to his first echo. We had to wait a long time before the doctor came and gave Daru a sedation medicine which made him sleepy. This allows the doctor to perform a thorough exam while the child is lying still. The doctor didn't explain much, because we need a native Kurdish speaker to join us for a consultation with the doctor and Daru's aunt. This will allow Daru's aunt to really know what is going on, and to be able to make informed decisions along the way. We do, however, know he will need a CT scan to give better images of his heart before his surgery will be scheduled. 
Please keep praying for Daru and his aunt as they settle in to our Shevet family in Israel.

First Assessments

Posted on Mon, 11/27/2017 - 22:08 by Jesse Tilman

"He will give his angels orders to take care of you." Luke 4:10

We went with Daru and our other new children to Wolfson Hospital this morning for his initial tests and introduction to the hospital.

Of course he was not happy to be poked and prodded and could barely stand to be touched.
But by the Grace of God we were able to perform the needed procedures step by step. His mother was wonderful at finding the way to press on and keep him pacified. 
They were happy to not be staying the night there yet, and after removing the blood IV line, we packed up to head home. With his special condition, he is very sensitive. Lord please grant him more peace in the days ahead!

Daru's Arrival

Posted on Sun, 11/26/2017 - 20:32 by Jesse Tilman

"Let the peace of the Messiah also rule in your hearts." Colossians 3:15

At the airport, Daru's mother walked quickly out of the arrivals area with him and sat down where our other Kurdish families had gathered. We didn't know that this was just the calm before the storm! Nearby an Israeli family held up a welcome banner for their own loved one that seemed heaven-sent as we saw their grins and children's-scribbled pictures.

Daru soon made his voice and displeasure known as we made our first assessments and he couldn't stand the oxygen finger sensor. Unable to get a reading as he struggled, we decided to try again at the house. He gave us an earful on the way there, harmonizing with Bawan at times. 
He had a shunt put in his heart at one month of age in Iran and is now two and a half years old. At the house, they found some peace downstairs after we gave them some space. Wolfson hospital is their destination in the coming days.
May our newest Kurdish children here be blessed as we care for their hearts with both surgery and Messiah's love. 
"But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven."
Matthew 19:14